Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

tsob posted:

Actually, what's possibly happening is Miura is spending months drawing several chapters worth of these battle chapters and then releasing the finished ones in quick order. Then he has to spend several more months working on the next few as they're so time consuming.

Maybe once this battle is done and the need for such time consuming drawing is over he'll fall back in to a more reasonable schedule.

Except he'll end up drawing Elfheim or whatever in ridiculous detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah though when he comes back from a break he usually releases a few chapters within a couple of months and then goes back to indefinite hiatius.

I'm gonna be entire realistic and say we wont get more than 4 chapters (tops) before he takes another break.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I saw that elsewhere but I'm kinda surprised you didn't spoiler tag it at all.

I mean poo poo it's the biggest thing to happen for loving years.

gently caress knows why it's happening but it's still awesome.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It does come out the 8th. There's been a lot of early spoiler pics this week for a lot of things actually.

I think for Berserk this was so early because it's so awesome.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I wonder how many chapters it's been since we saw Femto prior to this one. It must be a whole lot...

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Cowboy posted:

Well if we take the bigger number of 70% complete we have 30% to go. Almost seventeen years to do 70% leaves about seven more years till we (might) see the ending to Berserk...

Think about the chapter schedules.

The vast majority of that first 70% was completed when he had a chapter out consistently every 2 weeks. It was like that with far less breaks up until the last 4-5 years or so.

The best way to look at the estimate would be that we're about 2 thirds of the way through the story, however the final third is going be done at about half the pacing or less of the first two thirds, so it's going to take just as long as they did, if not longer.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah and honestly I don't think he's in any rush to finish it while he's young. It seems like Berserk is his "life's work" to him, he probably doesn't mind the notion of working on it up until he's in his 60's, so long as he's still able to do so.

Like it's pretty obvious he's never gonna start another huge epic and try to "outdo" Berserk.

So yeah I think the ending could be 15-20 years away.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I guess in the event a new series ever remade the Golden age arc, it'd be so they could add in the stuff the old series left out, such as Skull Knight, puck and the Wyald or whatever you call him fight.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

If a new series was genuinely in the works and into production enough to show off, we would know about it from official statements.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 17, 2009

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'd never actually noticed the Lancer guy's crotch before, but now I can't see anything else.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It's NOT supposed to be monthly. For like 15 years it was every 2 weeks, with an occasional missed issue I guess.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

3 chapters and then into another indefinite break? That sounds about the usual schedule, yep.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Miura: Finally, here's what you've been waiting for all year, Guts is going to be back in action!

Now wait until next year to actually see it!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Relin posted:

He's taking a 6 month break are you kidding me

Actually no one has a clue how long the break is as the chapter just says "continued next time" or whatever. All that means is that the break is "indefinite". I think the longest has been like 4 months? I can't remember though.

At a rough guess though I'm gonna estimate January or February for the next chapter...then another 2 in the month following that and then a break.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

http://i36.tinypic.com/2upb8qv.jpg

I just saw this. I think I've been reading the manga from roughly 2003-2004 so I had a strong suspicion it had been a steady decline like that.

Unfortunately at this rate that would mean within the next 5 years it was cancelled. How much lower than 8 chapters a year can it get and still make sense to keep going?

I think I predicted there would be no more than 8 chapters this year at the start of the year. :v:

EDIT: drat I said 6 chapters. Well I guess I should be happy I was a little off!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It aired at like 1am in the morning or something and ended up with fairly poor ratings. I think they realise it's a huge risk trying to make money from an ultra-violent-troll-rape-fest of an anime and have hence been very hesitent to ever make a second season.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'd say it should probably only be like 26 episodes max and only cover up until maybe...where Gutts gets the armour and fights the dragon guy?

That would probably be a good dramatic way to finish up a season, which would leave another series to start with Gutts beginning his journey with the armour and his group, attempting to get to Elfheim and what not.

The only thing I see being a struggle for them though is how they can logically introduce Skullknight and Puck into the story and whether or not a new series would be reliant on people having saw the old one for backstory.

I mean it's pretty essential that people know the story of Gutts and Griffith, but can they really make a new series all these years later and just assume people have seen the previous one?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

As well as not rushing for quality reasons, it's also good not to rush reading Berserk because the last thing you actually want is to be fully caught up.

Seriously.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

3 chapters in a row is common before a (long) break. 4 in a row on the other hand will be a miracle.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

No new chapter date again. 3 chapters within a month or two and then an indefinite break has been Miura's pattern for the last few years. Only question now is whether this will be a shorter break than previous ones or longer.

Seeing as the chapter per year count has steadily fell for the last 5 years, I sadly don't see us getting more than 6 chapters this year. Including the 3 we have.

Maybe 7 if we're lucky. :v:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The first thing Caska is going to say if she regains her sanity is "Griffith was way better than you".

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

For the last few years he's released 3 chapters in the space of 2 months or so then went on a 4+ month break.

I see no reason it'll be different this time.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Jimmybob posted:

How many has he put out this year? 2 or 3? Let's say we get 3 more now through the end of July, and hopefully he comes off break again in October for another 3 round burst. That's 8, maybe 9 chapters in one year. Not even double digits, it really sucks too.

It wasn't double digits last year either. To be honest if we ever get double digits again it'll be a miracle.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Reading a Berserk chapter was refreshing now, especially now that FMA is completely over. Reminds me I do still have another high quality manga to continue to look forward to reading.

A few times a loving year anyway.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

trucutru posted:

gently caress yes! I haven't even begun to read the chapter but I already looked at the last page and there is no god-dammed "Berserk will return in a few months" notice.

Go Miura Go!

I'm gonna have to depress you. On the first 2 chapters back from a break, there's usually always a date for the next chapter.

The worrying thing is when there's no date or comment at all...and uh oh, there isn't anything on this chapter, unless the scanlation removed it!

Anyway if there are more chapters just now, it wont be more than 3. I think in the last 4 years there's only been like once or twice he released 4 chapters before a break and the rest of the time it's 2-3.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah I know prior to a break there usually is still the next chapter box, but it says "See you next time" or an equivalent instead of a date.

Still though, for the last few years there has always been dates listed for the next chapters when there's been chapters due.

I admit though it's not like him to only release one chapter and then go onto insta break and honestly if he starts doing that it'll suggest the cancellaton of Berserk is near as hell.

I'll just hope that either it was edited out of the scanlation or it's just missing for some reason and Berserk will still appear next issue.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

To be honest I would seriously prefer some major rear end plot development over action just now. It's cool seeing Guts swinging his sword through poo poo, but it'll end up being an entire chapter of double page spreads and we'll still be eternally 5 years away from them reaching Elf Island. :mad:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Hung Yuri posted:

Another one, in 11 days? Might we be seeing more faster or is just this one of his stints? :pray:

We always get 3 chapters before another break.

Has been that way for years.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I don't know if it's been posted here yet but spoilers apparently confirm again that there will be a break after the next chapter.

So yeah, once again, 3 chapters then an extended break.

It will never, ever be finished.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Hemish posted:

Do I need to read the first 50 pages or could I just ask here for someone to explain to me (or link a page) as to why this artist is so slow with Berserk? Berserk is pretty popular, right? Why not cash in on this one?

Personally I prefer to think it's just a combination of these 2 reasons.

1. He's getting older (mid 40's), maybe it's slowing him down since he still has insane detail.
2. Perhaps his motivation has declined a lot over the years and he only keeps going so it's finished some day.

Unfortunately the assumption most people make, based on his comments regularly published in the Young Animal magazine that Berserk features in, is that he's became an increasingly lonely and obsessed Otaku who spends all his time playing "Idol Master" and other creepy videogames instead of working on the series.

Whatever the case I expect money is already a non-issue for him, he probably gets by enough on sales of the pre-existing volumes.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Zorak posted:

The issue is I think less that he's getting older so much that the art quality has VASTLY increased as it went on. He really needs to tone it back if he wants to produce things faster.

Well that's kind of what I was going for. It's a combination of the fact that not only is he aging, but he's still maintaining the highest possible standard for the art.

I'd say it's been at the same level for roughly the last 7-8 years or so, but he's never once shown any evidence that he'd be willing to compromise the art quality to increase the speed of releases.

I think aging inevitably comes into play a little though for why he can't maintain art quality and speed. The vast majority of humans are a bit less enthusiastic about life as they get older and of course no one can stop age taking its toll on their body. I know shitloads of artists though work on comics into their 50's, 60's and beyond even, but it still wouldn't surprise me if after so many years of doing Berserk at such a level of detail, it has taken its toll on his wrist a bit.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Zorak posted:

So it does look like it's going on break again, for a little bit anyway.

I think every "indefinite" break (i.e no date for next chapter at all) he's taken in the last few years has been at least 3 months if not usually longer.

There was a point where every so often the date for the next chapter would be given but 1-2 months away. That was cool, because at least then you knew when to expect a chapter.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Zorak posted:

Actually, it's weird, sometimes not giving a date = see you next issue. When he gave a date, it's just when it's two issues away instead of one.

Find me more than one example in the last 5 years where there's no date and Beserk is next issue and I'll believe that one.

I do recall one time recently but the next chapter box wasnt there at all, there was no comment.

Whenever it says "See you next time" or whatever in recent years it's always a long rear end break.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

This was a good chapter. I really wish they were off the island already but at least it felt like there was some good progress

The girl's already decided to come with them (could've easily went down some several chapters of indecision route), coming up with a plan to take down the Pirates or whatever once and for all to stop an endless loving journey panning out with them constantly being chased and antagonised again, some progress on Farnese's witch abilities, some set up for there to be progress on the identity of the kid, etc.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Even if we only get two more chapters this year, I think we've still gotten more this year than the past several. Who was it that actually made some bar graph showing releases per year of the past decade?

We have. I didn't make it but I've linked it before.

I don't think it's by much (either 1 or 2 chapters) but it's the only time the trend has been broken, so...yay.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Awesome Welles posted:

From what's been out there, it doesn't look like the fight with the Count or the Snake Baron dude will be in it, which is unfortunate but given that the movies are apparently focusing squarely on the Golden Age, it isn't too bad.

I'm hoping they still keep in Guts childhood, as I'd imagine it would only take a few minutes out of the movie to get through. Would be kind of weird if they moved it to another film.

I think we can safely assume the rear end rape wont be in the movie at least!

I think it's kind of a shame the "Black Swordsman" stuff probably wont be animated again. I'm HOPING what will maybe happen is that they'll basically do the series chronologically and therefore eventually incorporate The Count into the story where it would go in the timeline, in the movies after the Golden Age ones.

Unfortunately though, that would be weird, as it works at its best when it's a complete mystery who Femto and the Godhand are and why Guts is intent on killing that man.

The other alternative would be a separate OVA, but I dunno if that ever happens as an accompaniment to movies, rather than TV series.

I do hope we can see that iconic scene of Guts forcing himself up the stairs animated someday.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'll be optimistic: I bet 4 chapters.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

^Right and Capcom made a bunch of promotional material for Megaman Legends 3. Then it was cancelled.

Point here: Future events can be advertised and still never happen unless the project succeeds. It makes sense to animate a few things here and there to get people excited about the future and interested in the project. Doesn't mean it will happen, unless these movies all make money.

Anyway, the movie lengths in the trilogy are like going to be roughly 90 minutes for movie 1, like 100-ish for 2 and 110 for 3. Or I'm forgetting and it's 110 and 120 for the last 2. Probably the former though. Basically 5 hours of animation.

I think anyone who really thought a trilogy of movies would get beyond the Golden Arc, even without knowing running times or anything, was being a bit naive. Remember how long the original series took to get through it? 24 episodes...and nearly 9 hours or so of animation! And that was with cutting out Skull Knight, Wyald, Silat and more! (Volume 11th in its entirety, the entire escape mini-arc)

They're cramming the entire Golden Arc into a time span of 4 hours less than it originally took, with cuts. This is going to require quicker fight pacing, omitted scenes and dialogue and potentially the exclusion of all the same material as the original series.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Rakugoon posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha

If you watch the anime all you're going to get is the Golden Age again so you might as well move on.

He really should move on, I'm sure he'll be thrilled by all the upcoming ENDLESS ATTEMPTS TO FURTHER RAPE CASKA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/review/berserk-ogon-jidai-hen-i/hao-no-tamago

Review of the movie here (it opened at the weekend).

Gives prop to the direction as a whole and the handling of the material (Volumes 4-6 basically), but is extremely harsh on the CG.

One thing they have an issue with is the thing I have the biggest issue with - the poo poo framerate. They chose it to synth the CG framerate to that of the animation, but it looks rear end.

Opening weekend performance here if anyone cares:

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?yr=2012&wk=5&p=.htm