Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

SpazmasterX posted:

You'd do that too if you saw a guy split a giant tiger in half in one stroke. :colbert:

yeah, whats their reaction supposed to be "yeah whatever guts, I do that poo poo one handed for fun :rolleyes:"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Scoobi posted:

I dont know what you guys are arguing, im saying that entire page is hilarious. First the absurdity of guts maiming a tiger demon in two, then the stunned reaction of the crowd.

Berserk is grim funny.

Okay, I actually just got to this part of Berserk and in context that's pretty funny.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Zoolooman posted:

I'm going to take a different perspective on this. I'd speculate that none of the current friends will die.

I agree with this. To me it seems more like Guts and Griffith are both reforming there personal "Band of Hawk"s and Guts will most likely keep his friends close until the near end. Guts has actually had traveling companions for the majority of this manga.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
whether or not this particular show or story is sexist/racist ranks very high among the most pointless forums discussions.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

GentlemanLoser posted:

we are discussing anime on an anime forum

do you really think every post should be about how long the wait between chapters is or the latest griffith close up spread

You're a loving idiot. There's other things to discuss between chapter dates and sexism.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

GentlemanLoser posted:

someone has concerns about a japanese comic book god drat IT why is this POINDEXTER NERD VIRGIN rocking the boat we don't believe in critical thinking or discourse unless we're in class everything is falling apart

No it's just pointless because this discussion can go on for 10 pages and never be resolved. But hey it's better than discussion nanomachines.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

GentlemanLoser posted:

not debating something because the answer isn't immediately clear isn't really a good attitude to have man

There's a difference between "pointless" and "no clear answer".

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only logical ending would be:

Once they make it to Elfhelm the rest of Guts' party is going to die or get trapped in a painting. Guts will then make his way to the Elfhelm castle. Just as Guts opens the door it will suck him in and he will think to himself "How many times have I made this journey?". Once he awakens we'll see a 15 year old Guts reach to his neck and touch the Egg of the King. Thinking to himself "I've always had this," he will then step forward and challenge Bazuso.

Can't think of a better way to end something that I have poured so many years of my time into...

The only logical ending would be the "gently caress you" ending from the Dark Tower?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

DamnGlitch posted:

Which is probably a good thing. Who need two page spreads of that?

Me.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Scoobi posted:

They do, but they are always spiked club headed penii. Basically the worst looking things ever

The eclipse had a bunch of dick-monsters.

Also there's a lot of monsters that aren't dick-beasts per se, but the way they're shaped is very suggestive: http://www.zoolooman.com/misc/berserkpage03.jpg

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Link to the preview?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
ignore this

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Andrigaar posted:

A fate only shared by Cowboy Bebop as far as I'm aware.

Dragon Ball Z

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

liquidus696 posted:

That's not even funny!

Pretty much every non-anime fan who was a kid when it was on Toonami watched it and had fond memories of it.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

wid posted:

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the sea-monster-vagina-face tentacles looks EXACTLY like the thing in the movie "The Mist", where the same creature/tentacle grabbed the bagboy in the supply garage. Slightly smaller in the movie since it couldn't swallow an entire dude but the spikes, the shape, the vertical mouth, all the same. I wonder if there's a connection.

Actually we see the entire monster toward the end and it's humongous.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Zorak posted:

It doesn't mean she'll necessarily fall for his charisma; she may do it entirely out of sympathy. I mean really, Griffith gave up his humanity to be king, but what has it got him REALLY? Empty power. An empty existence. It's almost pathetic in a way; it's what he's always wanted, and he now essentially gets it because he can get anything he wants now.

He puts out no work and effort like he did before, there is no lofty goal for it; he does it for the sake of fulfilling an ancient dream of a man he once was.

Hell, she might not even remember what he did or the Eclipse even if she regains her old memories.

I think you've put too much thought into this and have made up your own ideas where they are not confirmed or implied within the story.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Zorak posted:

My predictions about Caska's actions are; she's shown pretty silly sympathy for him before both before and after the Eclipse. She was Guts' lover, but she felt the most devotion to Griffith and his cause.

We've had plenty of foreshadowing that Caska regaining her mind isn't going to go exactly as Guts planned. This could go two ways as far I see it, assuming that the foreshadowing actually has a point: 1) She doesn't want her memories back and wants to go back to being ignorant, or 2) She doesn't necessarily agree that Guts is in the right, or will want to stay with Guts. I think #2 is the more likely.

Caska's primary trait way back when was her loyalty to Griffith and his fight. While I certainly agree the specific reasons of her return to Griffith ARE guesses, I think her returning to Griffith IS statistically very likely, what since the other options aren't very internally dramatic (Caska is happy being back! GUTS AND CASKA LIVE HAPPY EVER AFTER WITH ELVES THE END; Caska is unhappy being back! She has them make her dumb again making a whole part of the series kind of dumb)

My problem with all of this is that you seem to think this will happen purely because it will be another bad thing to happen to Guts. "This is the most dramatic outcome" is never a good enough explanation. It's going to take a HUGE leap of logic on the writer's, character's, and audience's part to accept something like that happening. I mean think about it, for her to return to Griffith, Caska has to:

1. Not remember anything before the eclipse (very possible)
2. Not believe Guts when he tells her what happened (I guess this can happen, even though Guts has a TON of proof to back his story up)
3. She has to not think anything about :
- how everyone else in the Hawks is dead
- the marks on guts' neck and caska's chest
- the monsters that attack them every night
- how these same monsters serve Griffith
- how her mark bleeds and burns when she gets near Griffith
...Which would just make her a stupid character, which she is not.

quote:

Guts needs a justification to bother returning to do Griffith in. The Skull Knight clearly pointed out it was either go after Caska or go after Griffith. He went after Caska, and decided to help her. But she is a person herself; the strongest dramatic likelihood would be for her to end up going to the monster that Guts passed on chasing after just to help her, leading Guts back towards actually giving a poo poo about what Griffith is up to at this point.

What!? You seriously think he doesn't have a motivation to Kill Griffith? Did you miss what happened during the Eclipse? He's been trying to kill Griffith since this manga started. Bringing Caska back just took priority over killing Griffith. Whenever she comes back/doesn't come back/jumps off a cliff as soon as she returns Guts is going right back to killing him.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Zorak posted:

Guts has abandoned going all revenge crazy after Griffith. He has plenty of past motivation, but his focus is entirely on Caska. Caska suddenly killing herself is pretty anti-climactic, and the implication is that she WILL regain her mind, just not necessarily be what Guts expects. Guts is ignoring the Griffith situation on the possibility of a happy future, and the possibility of it.

Where the hell are you getting this from? Seriously, give me a chapter or page or something where Guts has said or implied that he has given up his quest to kill Griffith.

quote:

I don't think it's necessarily stupid of Caska to go back to Griffith after all this crap, because she may still love him. Love isn't rational, it doesn't have to make perfect sense. She may very well feel loyalty and love for him still. I'm pretty sure Miura can write that well enough, to frame it well enough.

Caska leaving Guts just before the Eclipse so she can take care of cripple-Griffith itself was kind of stupid. That doesn't make her a stupid person by any means.

At that time, Griffith had slept with a princess and inadvertently became a prisoner. He didn't put Caska through an ordeal so horrible it drove her insane. Trying to compare anything Griffith did before the eclipse is just stupid.

quote:

But again, as I've stated, this is my personal theory. I think it's a good one since it maximizes the dramatic tension for when Guts goes after Griffith, since the driver for the revenge is an active one rather than an old one.

Again, drama for drama's sake does not make any theory work. Yes, it is loving retarded of Caska to go back to Griffith. "Irrational Love" is when you forgive someone for sleeping around on you or treating you bad. No amount of love is going to make a woman forgive a man for throwing her into a demon rape pit, raping her himself, and murdering everyone she has ever loved. If Miura tries to insult me by having her go back to Griffith I will seriously stop reading Berserk.

I'm sorry Zorak, I usually agree with you but this theory is just ignorant.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

How will Caska join Griffith if she can't physically be near him?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why? Do you feel an urge to kill things just for being hideous or the offspring of something evil, and if so, do you think it's rational?

(Admittedly you don't live in a world with trolls and ogres and Apostles, but from a strict ethical perspective I don't think that makes much of a difference.)

Yes, I would kill the spawn of Satan if given the chance.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

mkd131 posted:

In fact one could make the argument that Caska wasn't raped by Griffith (emotionally)

What.

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Ccs posted:

Gut's Dragonslayer makes a cameo in the excellent and hilarious French comic "Freak's Squeele".

Everyone should read this.