Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Blame sounds so loving badass and so exactly the kind of thing I want to read and is gorgeous except everyone is walleyed and that is impossible for me to get past. Like, I have tried soooo many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yup. Last time I read berserk front to back was my freshman year of college, and they were jusssst getting on the boat.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Berserk was licensed both manga by dark horse and the anime :psyduck: Unless you are very very very old, it should have been very easy to come by.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

I wasn't aware 12-13 years ago counts as "very, very, very, very old".

Well considering the us full series boxset was out in 2003...

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Does anyone reading or watching even remember femto / Griffith in the prologue? That was so far out of my head by the time eclipse spun up.

It's really one of those things that pops for you when you go back a second time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

notZaar posted:

Yes? I don't remember exactly if he calls him Griffith by name at the end of Black Swordsman, but the connection is made pretty soon after Golden Age begins and Griffith is introduced. It's basically there in the subtext the whole time, when is the other shoe going to drop and this rear end in a top hat is going to piss off Guts so badly?

I'm just saying I pretty much immediately forgot everything to do with black swordsman until I got to the eclipse. Part of this was because I was consuming it pre internet, so I couldn't barge the whole thing in a few days/weeks and it was literally over the course of a few years between the beginning and when the eclipse happened and it tied together.

I just don't think it ruins anything at all and is a pretty good Tarantino deal.

Honestly it bothers me more that it goes black swords man -> golden age -> the rest of the story. It wouldn't be so bad if the backend hadn't been stretched out over so many years at this point. It's not a let down so much as it doesn't have as clear and strong a momentum. That in ITSELF wouldn't be so bad if it was monthly.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

The best part is that it makes you feel seriously bad for Griffith. Everything that happens immediately after his rescue is pretty much rubbing the fact that he'll never be able to attain his dreams in his face. He ends up losing it once he realizes that Guts/Casca are pitying him. I remember some scene where he tries to pick up a sword and can't even lift it.

Or tries to rape(?) caska and it's just... heartbreaking.

Later less so.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Butt Ghost posted:

I just read through the bit were Guts stabs a demon dude in front of his innocent daughter. I'm starting to get the sneaking suspicion that maybe he might be a tiny bit of a psychopath. Also Griffith is a cool-looking motherfucker.

edit: what the gently caress is up with the Baphomet orgy?

Given what demons do guts stabin that demon dad is about the best thing he could have possibly done for leetle girl.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think the assumption was that if the golden age movies were successful they'd do more, but I don't think they had anything planned past the first three, especially since IIRC the ticket sales after the first movie dropped precipitously, and they were bad.

It's funny because the first two were a mess, but the third was pretty well done (if simply because it covered less material so it was more coherent)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man with Hat posted:

I really liked them. They were well animated and I've read the story like a gazillion times and didn't think it was too bad on that account either. Can't remember anything really bad about them, to be honest, but I guess I'm just a sucker for pretty animations.

I also like FFVII Advent Children so my tastes are probably just bad and dumb.

I love Advent Children and I still think the first two films are trash.

Ccs posted:

Yeah the third movie was pretty decent for showing the horror of the eclipse. The CG also improved a lot in that film compared to what was in the previous films. They really should've used 3DS Max and the Pencil+ plugin for their toon shading instead of Maya...

A big part of it is the eclipse is dark, so the CG-ness is better concealed. Also, the uncanney valley stuff works better with demons and poo poo that's supposed to look weird and off and not as much horses and human in noon daylight.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah Jojo isn't nearly as detailed to an OCD extent as berserk is.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I am more confident Berserk will be finished before Ice and Fire.

If only because he is presumably a not gigantically overweight elderly man.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It literally sucks the life out of you, IIRC, which is what happened to skull knight I think??

It's been a while.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nuebot posted:

For what? I want to read that now.

Ashita no Joe.

But for fuckin real, that SCENE gets parodied in other anime all the time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I laughed really hard at the "going from monthly to irregular releases" like it hasn't been that way for a decade now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Scans are decent up until the eclipse, then really lovely for a little bit, then fine and better. (In comparison to, say, jojo)

Its worth noting though a lot of these scans are from like, 15 years ago. If you can buy the releases you really should.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I hope the new anime series does good enough to get that far. I really don't want to watch Golden Age for a third time, but I'm just going to chalk it up to an inevitability. I'm kind of hoping they do it the way Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood handled the early stuff and just kind of heavily summarizes the non-importnat content assuming the fans watching it had checked out the previous series but in away that anyone new watching it wouldn't be completely out of the loop so the first half wasn't just a complete retread of everything the original series had done.

Man the movies just did a summary of the golden age.

Pleiades posted:

I wouldn't mind.

Griffith! :swoon:

If I'm honest if it's another studio that gives it the same time as the first series I wouldn't mind much either. The movies were ugly as poo poo except for the eclipse.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love berserk but I'm not gonna watch this poo poo. I just cant.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The anime is weird and ethereal feeling while also being horrible and gritty. The first episode basically makes the harsh cliff hanger kinda work, because the whole golden age arc even as you forget the first ep its in the back of your mind that the world they are in then is not the world theyll end up in.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Well it's a hiatus after a string of updates unprecedented in the last decade culminating at finally being off the ship. If the show didn't look like a garbage it'd be pretty kewl in berserk town all around, hiatus or no

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

An unjust world where the gorgeous art of berserk is animated in the least appropriate way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was loving stunned to discover that it was a different company creating garbage CG than 4dc.

What's shameful is the last movie was the best looking of the three and it felt at least like they were hitting their stride. And to be fair to the movies *some* of the scenes were gorgeous, even if the movies altogether were total failures.

As for low v high bids mean clearly they have no money or arent willing to spend any on making the show but they'd have to be the high bidder to get the IP in the first place right?

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 19, 2016

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Is that a black-barred, cultural no-no in Japan?

Nnno not that I'm aware, suicide used to be like a japanese national pastime, and features heavily in a number of anime and manga storylines.

Honestly it may have been the western taboo given the setting of the manga, but I'm guessing he did't have anyone he felt like portraying that way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

temple posted:

But are other animes that much better? I haven't been blown away by an anime tv series but idk. I've felt like some media has to be drawn/produced well because that's all it has. Berserk has a good story so I figure they don't invest in the art as much.

This is incomprehensibly stupid. Anime, an animated medium, is very often defined by how well animated it is. Certainly there are shows with style over substance, but Berserk in particular is one of the most intricately, painstakingly gorgeously drawn manga ever made, so it having poo poo rear end cg is just depressing.

I hope you watch every minute of this poo poo heap.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The new show is trash. Trash for suckers.

Good god if madhouse had it now.

It seems clear though that nobody gives a poo poo outside of the paycheck being generated. Thats all well and good but if you got through the first season and expected it to get better, you have a mental illness.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The comments on that YT of the first 1997 ep are tragic

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

youtube comments, bad? bwuh!?

I'm just honestly shocked that someone could like, much less go to bat for B2K16

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have a buddy who was over yesterday who was like "You and 'roommate' are the only ones telling me the new berserk is trash, all my other anime friends are going nuts about it" :gonk:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I mean berserk is berserk is berserk. If they have no other frame of reference I can imagine this series being pretty hype.

It's nearly inconceivable to me that the execution of it has no impact even to people who are new.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I feel there should be an anime thread because reading about someone who has only seen berserk '16-'17 while I'm waiting for new chapters is an unbearable development.

If this freakshow doesn't bother you, watch the movies. They are at least pretty in parts.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The 90's anime at least tells a coherent story unlike the movies. And has much better music.

As someone who is watching the blurays, I agree. There may not be a lot of animation but the paintings are pretty, the pacing is good, and the story is more intact.

But for a guy who has only seen '16/'17 the movies are clearly fine.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Metal Pink Babble posted:

Yeah? Well, I have An Oscillating UltraViolet Spectrum Lamp which scans my furniture at a random orbit, and can detect any foreign substances on my balsawood ikea furnishings and die-cast plamo-tachi..On the right nightstand with my ink ribbon, beretta, and well-manicured green medicinal herb is where I keep the lamp. Second visits, few... :page3:

???

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Metal Pink Babble posted:

otaku means house. when they leave their house they are outside their zone and thus all bets are off. i was insinuating they might have eft traces of ectoplasm in the vicinty. I prefer using a lamp and maybe a pocket geiger counter to find the spots which might could use a spritz or two of lysol after an encounter.

Are you on mescaline or something?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

As Casca: Sarah Palin. Okay, okay, Winona Ryder. How boring.

Would she have black face or something? Surely there's at least someone of a less transparent hue out there.

(I adore Winona Ryder but cmon)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

It's pretty jarring, especially when every other human character has a natural hair color iirc

she's a wizard tho

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cavelcade posted:

The ending (literally, the very end of the last episode) is some bullshit if you haven't read the manga.

The eclipse end without context is some peak 'gainax end' and I really enjoy it for that reason. (obviously I know gainax didn't work on the berserk anime but that term got thrown around so much back then it stuck in my brain)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's pretty appropriate, the Berserk TV ending is more of a "Gainax ending" in the colloquial sense than most (maybe even all?) of the actual Gainax shows that get accused of having them. :v:

Fits the tone better in the way people use the term certainly. Most are 'left turns' rather than just big 'gently caress you's.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 10, 2017

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Budget is usually overblown compared to time and staff, but b16/17 MUST be a case of lowest bidder bullshit, because otherwise it's unimaginable.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Trigun Maximum is great but I really do think the action would have been vastly better served being fully adapted in the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Can't wait to read three chapters before the next hiatus.

Haha three, is there a new season of the anime starting or something?

IF there's two in a row I'll be like.... "Nice"