Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me
If Berserk never ended (the manga), I'd hope Miura would at least release a novel or two to finish the story. Considering Berserk's story is so powerful I think it'd translate fine into a book, even better for those that read the manga (which really would be the target audience).

And someone needs to feed Guts like, 6,000 calories a day, so he plumps back up to what he looked like when he left Caska alone for 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Gutts doesn't do a very good Arnold impression.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Zoolooman posted:

Comments about chapter 288:

I'm glad to see the girls working out how they feel about Guts. This is a good productive use of the story's downtime. :] Schierke seems to have reached a comfort zone with her childish crush, Farnese has expressed frustration with Caska's condition, and Caska has--for a brief moment--responded with near-intelligence.

I think this indicates that Caska won't join Griffith or anything crazy like that. In her own dim way, she seemed to understand what Farnese meant. Maybe she caught on that Guts is struggling on her behalf, and I think she'll remember that when her mind returns. Maybe she won't be loyal, but she won't be a traitor either.

What do you think?

Well Farnese did mention something important, even with the mean poo poo Guts did to her (nearly raping her, and completely abandoning her for 2 year) Guts is still breaking his mind and body for her each and every day. Hopefully if she gets her mind back that she'll still be on Guts' team, even if she has a mild distrust for Guts' berserk personality.

And someone like, heal Guts or something :(

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

FallenGod posted:

It isn't, and even if it was they now face the opposite problem: the manga is so ridiculously loving long that they would never be able to make another "season", unless they just want to stop in the middle of nowhere again. They can't go the Bleach / Naruto route either, since it will probably be at least another 15+ years before the manga ends.

Well at least there wouldn't ever be any filler, at all. An OVA of Berserk up to the eclipse would kick so much rear end, kinda like how Hellsing is doing the same thing right now.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Dim Mak posted:

I'm a little interested in how Schierke's angle is going to play out. She seems a bit smitten with Guts, and on the one hand it could be the strong male/big brother/fatherly kind of attraction(much like Farneze's attraction to him seems to be), but she keeps dropping hints that it might be something more, i don't know, jailbaitly.

The Skull Knight and Guts comparison, Shierke might be like the old witch (her name escapes me right now) is to the Skull Knight(Guts).

Either way its refreshing in a way in a manga thats always dark, depressing, and just loving crazy, to have something thats cute. Comic relief for the rest of the time they have heads exploding and eyes popping out of skulls.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Oh god, drat my lack of moon language reading ability. I had completely forgotten about this until I saw the thread bumped.

To bad we don't even get to see our favorite amputee.

Cowboy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 22, 2008

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Retard Robocop posted:

Oh... and I was going to chalk up Guts' ever growing jawline to an occasional change in assistants.

Maybe he's been using steroids and human growth hormone. How else can he swing that huge piece of steel around?

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

The Bow posted:

Come on, it's the 23rd, where's my Berserk for my bday? :)
Edit: Raw isIt's out.

High Five, we both have a birthday in the same week and we get a new chapter of Berserk. It's a good 23rd birthday this year!

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Or Gut's could just defeat Griffith and retire for a quiet (short probably) life with Caska... :( A happy ending to something in this series would be nice.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

I guess I wasn't the only one looking for the Berserk thread today on the odd chance there was even some sort of an update.

Upon further review I still have the friggin torrent for 297 in my bitcomet.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Jimmybob posted:

He better not die until he finishes this poo poo. I need closure.

If he does I'm going to Japan digging up his corpse and building a Robo-Miura to finish drawing the giant 2 page spreads of Griffith.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Zackarotto posted:

Somebody should make a web page with a synopsis of all that has happened in Berserk, since we're all forgetting everything that has ever happened. Complete with some pictures. I'm thinking of those well-written Starcraft and Brood War "Story so far" pages put up in anticipation of Starcraft 2, which skim over the individual battles but explain all the important events, political affiliations of the characters... the stuff you need to understand everything.

I'd do it, but it'd mean rereading all of Berserk again, and I'm much too long-winded for any task that asks for conciseness.

I just finished my yearly re-read of Berserk, the only thing I'm lacking is the first three volumes (though I don't think a ton happened in those that hasn't been explained). I'd be able to rock out a good summary but I completely lack any ability to make and put up a web page.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Are they still on Namek? the ship?

Are they still on the ship to namek boat to fairy island? Fixed it for ya.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Jimmybob posted:

I agree, I've actually been waiting for this moment for over a year now. But seeing as we only get about 5 chapters a year now, I suppose we'll both be waiting another 10 years or longer.

A minor fix. I'm just freakin happy that were getting a chapter on the 24th.

And has there been any evidence that Griffith is really going to just flip the bird to the world and sacrifice everything. To me my impression was that he was going to fulfill his dream and take a kingdom of his own. I think a more interesting direction would be that Guts "kills" Griffith and the whole world sees or knows that Guts did it, and we get to see Griffith's evil form descend and start loving poo poo up. All while Guts fights to protect the world that now blames him for the current disaster affecting the world.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'm getting the feeling what happened now actually is that the publication staff burst into Miura's office a few weeks after 297 was sent to them to see how 298 was going...and found him surrounded by mountains of Griffith spreads, in piles labelled up to chapter 310, furiously working on another one at that moment.

They immediately seized him and threw him into solitary confinement until he promised not to do that anymore.

...and they've only just got an agreement!

He probably ran out of toilet paper to draw more spreads on. 4 months of toilet paper.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Mr. Deathy posted:

Maybe in 2025. I'm not even remotely joking either. I can't see it being finished before then at current pacing and that's no exaggeration. Miura will probably get slower as he goes into his 50's too (he's 43 or so now), assuming he doesn't just quit altogether.

I dont care how expensive a ticket to Japan will be, but if he does quit I'm flying there and holding him at gun point until he slaps together a bunch of two page spreads of Griffith doing an interpretive dance to tell the end of the story.

You can Toxx clause me on this if you want. I haven't been reading this for, gently caress, 4 years now (yeah at least I didn't start when it first came out, yeesh), to have Miura go all Shaman King on me.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'm estimating we get 6 issues of Berserk this year tops.

Well you've just jinxed it for the year. I'll be cursing you when we don't get one till August.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Elentor posted:

How long has Guts been on that boat? one year? two years?

Would be almost 2 years our time by now, I think.

:(

drat that makes me sad.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Geop posted:

I want to see Guts kicking rear end sans-armor, with no magic in loving sight.

You might need to take another 2 year break before you'll see that.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Well if we take the bigger number of 70% complete we have 30% to go. Almost seventeen years to do 70% leaves about seven more years till we (might) see the ending to Berserk...

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

GoldenNugget posted:

Those ero games sure help with some inspiration over those long periods of time developing the plot!

Anyway, last chapter was great though I wish we'd have seen more of Guts. Next one should be good fun. And I don't miss the griffith 2 page spreads.

Don't worry, that is all we'll get of Guts for 2 years. This next fight will last 4 pages and the rest will be everyone staring at how pretty Griffith is.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

hog wizard posted:

What loving cocktease... I was really excited for a new series release.

First rule of reading Berserk, never get excited about any news regarding Berserk. It's probably a lie or it'll take 15 years until we actually see whatever it is.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

BlackCircle posted:

So how does one actually play an idolmaster game? Just watching the video it doesn't seem like there is any kind of prompt to do anything other then just watch.

Also I got really excited when I saw there was 50 unread posts. I need to stop getting so excited. Its only going to lead to a bigger letdown. I just want to see what happens on this crazy island!

Berserk Manga Thread: This is actually about Idolmaster now.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

trucutru posted:

Please Miura, go back to a reliable schedule, beat the Moe, beat it!.

I think he's probably already beating it, that's the problem. :downsrim:

If a new chapter does come out this month I think I might have to hold off on reading the last FMA chapter and bask in the glory of both at the same time.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

You know it has been a long time between releases when you have to go back two chapters to remember whats going on. Then you realize that you never even read 311.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Maybe then she'll help the group get to Fishman Island! Ah wait, wrong series and wrong island :downs:

If Guts and Co. spend any amount of time on any other islands reseting their Log Pose, every single person currently reading Berserk will be dead before the series finishes.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

hog wizard posted:

Out of curiosity: What other kind of power upgrade would Guts even get?

Resting for a few weeks in fairy land and eating a decent meal. Thats power up enough.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

temple posted:

Guts doesn't really get power upgrades. He becomes flat out stronger in big chunks. Boy->teenager->young man->now. He becomes a whole new beast every now and then. The closet thing to upgrades is he get new techniques usually learned from his foes or friends. He has learned to fly from watching Serpico. He has learned a lot about magic from Silke. I think he will integrate more of the magical side in his fighting. I'd like to see him get a new hand/arm somehow. Maybe his demon dog avatar could become real.

I honestly hope he just sticks to shoving his big piece of steel into the demons. :dong:

His only real power-up have been getting bigger and stronger, then getting a bigger and bigger piece of steel to hit things with, then losing an arm and an eye, losing all of his family and the people he loves, getting a piece of steel that weighs as much as a small car to hit things with, then getting psycho armor that obviously injects him with massive doses of PCP.

Now all he needs is a big pile of fairy dust and he'd feel alright. :catdrugs:

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

How did you miss that?

Got caught up in making a lovely joke, that and fairies and elves are basically the same drat thing (since elves in this case are small fey creatures with wings, fairies are small fey creatures with wings).

That's the most plausible future power-up for Guts, he'll get a healthy dose of elf dust since Puck can only make so much and usually is only enough to close his wounds. Now hes gotten so many chronic injuries and hes only half rested during his fights, since, well I don't know in their time frame how long has passed but its been like 4 years by our time frame (when did they get to Silke's teacher's house in the woods? that was the last time I remember him getting even a chance to rest to full). And in that case he went out and immediately received an injury so bad it scarred his soul.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Mr. Deathy posted:

Well that's kind of what I was going for. It's a combination of the fact that not only is he aging, but he's still maintaining the highest possible standard for the art.

I'd say it's been at the same level for roughly the last 7-8 years or so, but he's never once shown any evidence that he'd be willing to compromise the art quality to increase the speed of releases.

I think aging inevitably comes into play a little though for why he can't maintain art quality and speed. The vast majority of humans are a bit less enthusiastic about life as they get older and of course no one can stop age taking its toll on their body. I know shitloads of artists though work on comics into their 50's, 60's and beyond even, but it still wouldn't surprise me if after so many years of doing Berserk at such a level of detail, it has taken its toll on his wrist a bit.

Maybe if he kept spending the same amount of time on the characters it'd be fine. Hindsight is 20/20 but I remember the main characters and their clothes/armor were always super high quality in terms of art. He never seemed to spend so much drat time on everything else.

The problem starts when he's drawing each individual brick in a huge church with minute details spent on the texture of each brick.

I admire him for being uncompromising about the art quality. And, hes only 45 (hey, his birthday was 10 days ago), so in theory we could see the end before he turns 70. He should take a page out of Yoshihiro Togashi's book and do like the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc, wale out a poo poo load of chapters that advance the story a bunch then go back to normal art quality when it gets to the important bits.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Forest Fuckery posted:

I love the art quality but not that much that i want to see an another years worth of two page spreads of the Kushan army and Griffith.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

In November we'll see the 20th Anniversary of Berserk. Doesn't that put it up there as one of the longer running mangas (in terms of time)?

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Would you date Miura?

I'd blow him if it meant the series would get finished before he dies.

Also, 315. Wait, can it be? Can it really be? Yes, Guts goes full Berserker :black101:, had a sweet lead up to it too.

Also, is it just the translation, or is the pirate captain saying theres gonna be an Eclipse or something? Only way I can reason Guts would let himself get taken over by the Berserker so quickly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

rapeface posted:

I'm was just talking about aesthetics. What does the realism of the armour have to do with anything? And the whole point of Guts is that he's a human that has even more bloodlust than demons. That's his "little bit of demon" imo. The armour seems more mary sue than anything. It's gotten him out of every tough fight ever since he got it and even though the plot says "omg so dangerous", you know loli-witch is going to bring him back and then he's just going to rest for a couple days.

Look at pictures of Guts literally just before he starts using the suit. Before he was big and healthy looking (for the most part, protecting the fellowship took a lot out of him). Now hes got grey hair, looks like an old man almost how skinny he is, and absolutely covered in scars.

In truth hes only really used the armor, 4 maybe 5 times? When he first got it he went full zerker against the giant dragon dude (pretty much dead after this one), on the beach against the army of crocodiles (in which he nearly turned around and killed his entire group of friends), and he went full zerker during the huge Kushan invasion and they were trying to get on the boat. I think that covers it right?

Also I present evidence, the picture on the left is just before the fight where he gets the armor, the picture on the right is just after the fight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowboy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 26, 2010

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Haha. I want berserker underwear that transform into the shape of my spirit animal's pelvis when I lose control of my rage!

When you lose your erection the underwear reinforces your penis by piercing it with shards of steel. :dong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Your best bet is to just give yourself amnesia every time a big bunch of chapters come out, be it whiskey or having your buddy hit you on the head with a heavy stick.

I just wait until I see 50+ new posts in the Berserk thread and thats usually a good indication to go and look for new chapters.

Also Guts riding a unicorn or a pegasus and a horde of elves and fairies to his back against Griffith and his apostles would probably be the best ending possible, and entirely possible when Miura starts to lose his mind and becomes senile.