Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hatter106 posted:

Well, Guts did stir up a lot of different emotions in Griffith - the thought of him was the only thing that kept Griffith sane during his year in the dungeon.

I wouldn't call post-prison Griffith sane, didn't he still try to rape Caska and kill Guts before he could even hardly move?

Hatter106 posted:

He seemed pretty resigned to his fate when caught by the guards afterwards.

If you go back and look at the page, he only surrenders after reaching for his sword and finds it missing. If he had any idea what was in store for him he probably would have tried to cut his way out anyway.

Also, the prison break has one of my favorite moments in the anime:

Ahahahha now you're all trapped in there with him this door is three times as thick as a normal door you'll never esca
GUTS SMASH

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That's what I was just thinking. The eye and arm are very symbolic so I don't think he'd just magically get them back completely, but he could get a new eye with some special properties or something from the elves. But we're definitly going to see some major poo poo go down in Elfheim, the plot has been going there for like 2 years now :/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well he is trying to wake up a princess :v:

I'll only be worried if Guts and crew have to travel around the world gathering the 7 pieces of some mystical treasure to defeat Griffith.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Oh god Jay Leno :gonk:

And as hosed up as Guts is looking, the predictions of a heal/power up in ElfLand has pretty much got to happen.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the upgrade will be for Puck, who can then super-heal guts and/or stop being used almost exclusively to break the fourth wall goddamnit Miura stop doing that!!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not bothered by the SD as much as dressing him up in modern/random clothing and making contemporary gags and references. This is not a funny manga :colbert:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Deathy posted:

A new chapter is coming this month after all.

Chapter 302 will be released on the 24th of April.

No, I am not lying. That would be very cruel at this point.

A link for the lazy.

More of the same I suppose. I guess we can hope that once Godzilla is taken down we'll go follow Guts for a while and move the Elfheim plot along some.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was some kind of ninja behelit or something, am I completely blanking on what it really is? I don't remember ever seeing it before but it could have been years ago at this point MURIA :argh:

\/\/\/ No there's a clear zoom in to the underside of one of Zodd's wings where this little guy is perched somehow, implying he's an unknown stowaway. How he got there (and in my case who the hell he is) remains to be seen!

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 28, 2009

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Five loving chapters.

I don't think about this thread for 6 months and come back to find five loving chapters.

:argh: x one million

Our only hope is that things will speed up now that he can stop drawing entire nation's armies in huge double spreads.

\/\/\/ POR QUE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 8, 2009

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ BotI was pretty good, but I'm still looking for motivation to finish reading the series. It's about an immortal ronin who must kill 1000 evil men or some such thing, it's out on Dark Horse just like Berserk. EDIT: I just remembered, he's not literally immortal, but if you remember that episode of Futurama where Fry gets those worms in him that tone up his body and make him heal super fast? It's just like that. It's so close it has to be a reference of some kind.

Really detailed drawings of sci-fi horror / ultraviolence with sporadic chapter releases? Check out Gantz if you haven't all ready. It can be irritating at times but having a bunch of chapters to read through at once helps a lot.

Edge Zero posted:

I imagine he spends his time wearing his Berserker Armor replica and standing in front of a full length mirror practicing his war cry.

You call that a war face? Let me see your war face!

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 9, 2010

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If Miura walks outside and sees his shadow, 6 additional weeks until the next chapter. And yes the effects can stack :smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what, its gonna be a series of movies now from the beginning of the manga, Rebuild of Berserk style? I hope they don't do something dumb like try to cram all 13 volumes of the Golden Age flashback into 90 minutes or something...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In 25 years when the series is done that blind brainy God Hand will be sitting there resting his chin on his hands and saying into the darkness of existence "Just as planned" :haw:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In their slight defense, looking at AnimeNewsNetwork all the OVA episodes are double+ length, 45-55 minutes each, and they've been released every 7 or 8 months since 2006.

I can only hope that the fairy/spirit flashback hints at the approach to Puck's homeland. Like they'll meet the same flower chick and she'll be all "Oh hey this guy ate a rat for me 15 years ago let's let him in" kind of thing...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cbouncerrun posted:

It's more Lovecraftian than Berserk.

I've re-bought this avatar at least once just to put a different Lovecraft quote under it :haw:

Just finished the first movie. Some bits of it did start to look like a PS3 game cutscene, especially the Zodd fight, but overall if this is what it takes to get further in the story I don't have a big problem with it. I did like it when blood got splashed up on the 'screen', for some reason animation that emulates physical cameras always amuses me.

It's been forever since I went through Golden Age, but I sure don't remember the nobles BBQing a loving dolphin in the manga. Thought they were maybe accelerating giving us reasons to hate the aristocracy so we're all on Griffith's side. I'm also seeing a bunch of parallels with Reinhard from LoGH, but I suppose rising up through the ranks of an established social order isn't exactly breaking new storytelling ground. I wonder if they'll insert the first 3(?) volumes after the Eclipse, that's some nice classic hyperviolent Guts action right there.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GoldenNugget posted:

Dark Souls even has the wheeled zombies (who are annoying as gently caress assholes), a moth butterfly boss, and quite a few other similarities. Also a lot of the friends you encounter die/turn against you and you have to kill them.

Also one of the blacksmiths is named Rickert...

Watched movie 2 last night, better than the first one for sure. It's been so long that I didn't notice a lot of the cuts from the manga, but now I do remember the sword assist from Zodd, that was an odd choice for an edit. The 100 man fight was quite well done tho, especially the bit where Guts gets shell shocked and the sound goes all wonky. That was badass :black101: Trailer for 3 looks Lovecraftian as gently caress, looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Claymore is basically Berserk with an all girl cast. It starts off a bit shonen-y, but eventually every encounter is some mind-breaking eldrich horror and many a limb is lost.