Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, there's "someone" we haven't seen in a while :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't bring myself to get worked up over this movie at all, because in the end was this really a story that needed to be re-told?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Claymore a whole heck of a lot but it's very shounen and ultimately I feel its Berserk similarities are mostly superficial. Monster designs are certainly on par, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nalin posted:

On an unrelated note, I finally own every single volume of the Berserk manga, and I re-read the entire series. I don't know if it was because of the Dark Horse translation, but I feel like I understood the story a lot more after this read-through.
I was throwing out a ton of old DVD/CD-R's the other day, and I came across the Berserk CDs a friend of mine made back in high school of the manga he got from Band of the Hawk's IRC channel or something. Good lord was the translation stilted and half-assed back then. Say what you will of Dark Horse's problems (cropping some pages too much), at least the words actually sound like something a person would say.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The music in the games had some crazy good Susumu Hirasawa tracks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Begemot posted:

Yeah, there are translations going around but no scans yet.
Here you go.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like this is leading to a situation where in order for Griffth and the country's transformation into its idyllic fairytale state to be complete the original sacrifices (Guts and Caska) must be killed. A situation where everyone's lives are better off now, but there is no place for survivors of the eclipse. Guts would be both a victim, and an antagonist from the perspective of the populace.

The alternative would be that Guts still goes after Griffth because gently caress 'em I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Femto, uh, "corrupted" it seemingly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wachepti posted:

Uhhhhhhh so what was the deal with the child just hanging around and the vanishing at various points in the story? And why did the child look like Griffith if it was Guts' and Casca's
They're the same, supposedly. Griffith and that kid are sharing the same body. I recall Griffith making a comment alluding to such, and the moonchild rides off on Zodd at one point as well doesn't he?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Begemot posted:

I initially thought the moonchild was still Guts and Casca's kid, but it doesn't really make sense since it turned into Griffith's body. It was a weird misshaped fetus thing and used the last of it's power to save Casca at the tower of conviction. Why would it suddenly age up and appear apart from Griffith?

The moonchild seems to be King Hanafubuku, or at least someone from the elf kingdom. There was one particular page where it showed him like riding some sort of spectral wind thing right by the moon when they were describing the elf king, but for the life of me I can't find it now.
Why can't they be one in the same? Sometimes he's Griffith, sometimes it's the moonchild. Evil demon magic or whatever.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The evidence is that the child looks like Guts/Casca and has some sort of connection with Guts that allows him to calm down from his berserked state (specifically, appearing as a beacon of light), and that Zodd was somehow involved with one of his appearances.

How many years has it been since the first eclipse? Maybe the reason he doesn't look like Griffith is that this form (or spirit) is what it thinks it "should" have looked like given that passage of time and a normal childhood.

It's easy to forget that he hasn't really appeared that many times, it just feels like he's been a longtime fixture because of the slow release schedule. So there's not much actual material to go on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Begemot posted:

Also, when it helps Guts escape from the sea god's corpse, it appears in a very fairy-like form, whereas the demon child was always shown as... well, a weird demon thing.
That body was seemingly destroyed when it was reborn during the second eclipse. I wouldn't expect it to look like that any longer.

I guess we'll know for sure...when they get to Elf Island :shepicide:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really want to say there was a more blatant page, like his full silhouette against the moon or something, but I must be thinking of a different part that had nothing to do with the moonchild.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, if you're going to have a chapter preceding a hiatus that's one hell of a way to do it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did they say the flow of time on the island was faster or slower than the rest of the world?
I believe it was faster, i.e. we are getting some sort of time skip by the time Guts and crew leave the island. There'd be no real consequence/change if it were slower, they'd just leave at close to the time they'd arrive. Presumably this is so Rickert can catch up with them quicker.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Unacknowledged posted:

If I understand the time shift correctly, It's probably a good opportunity for Miura to have Guts sorta frozen in time on the island and focus on Rickert and his new adventures, or maybe age Rickert way up so he's all manly when Guts presumably leaves the island?
That's basically what I was getting at, yeah.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember correctly, during one of the battles while initially using the Berserker's armor his nerves were so shot it turned white.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If they're Band of the Hawk and/or Evil Genius scans they're probably fine, I think the former was the group I was reading back in 2002 or 2003 for those first few volumes. That said the translation in the Dark Horse volumes are really good and what I prefer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All I know is that I knew a guy who knew a guy in HS and gave me CDs with scans and I thought it was the raddest poo poo in the universe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ooooh yeah that's right, those were the days when it was "Gatts" instead of Guts. OK yeah I don't really miss that era as much anymore.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LOL "Summer 2016". At least it's a date of some kind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really can't be all that upset about Yet Another Bad Berserk anime, we've done this song and dance before and for all the issues with the release schedule the manga has it's still there doing its thing and being pretty drat good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Torquemadras posted:

Huh. I thought that were reincarnation shenanigans with Guts' and Casca's supernatural kid.
Yes, that was my recollection of him role as well. I think we've had this debate in this thread before.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did people seriously have any expectations after those movies?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Relin posted:

chapters out. so they really were on the wrong island...
That lovely scanlation that just came out seems to indicate otherwise, they're just in the witch's part of it at the moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sky continues to be blue, water remains wet, and Berserk gets a lovely anime adaption.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually don't mind the first anime and even have a decent amount of nostalgia for it, especially the music. It was more than acceptable if you considered it an advertisement to go out and read the manga afterwards. But it was also 18 years ago and there's been a whole more garbage anime-wise since then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chicken Katsu is indeed great just by itself, but specifically chicken katsu curry is my favorite. I like Indian curry just fine but there is just something special about the kind they use in Japan that makes the rest not measure up for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Berserk!! Turns out it's still good!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought Skull Knight chopped it off like a billion years/chapters ago. E: Nope, it was Dream/Vision Griffith indeed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope all of you are wrong and Casca comes back fine and happy and they all dance and celebrate and it's awesome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was kind of dreading the worst from that chapter but that wasn't too bad...yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couldn't help but play this when they started talking about "a bonfire of dreams..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZa0Yh6e7dw

:unsmith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LordMune posted:

It took a little bit longer than usual, but here's a good and legible version of chapter 354!

EDIT: Just noticed it uses the first and not the second translation draft, it's being updated now.
EDIT2: Not super-happy with the cleaning job mangastream did on these scans... Their typesetter is a trooper, though.
EDIT3: Translation has been updated.
You're good people.
I swear it was just a coincidence but "The Man Who Sold The World" came up in my playlist when I started reading this chapter and that was kind of rad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I will venture a guess that at least short term, Casca will stay with the group (she's honestly too integral/central of a character for our main POV to move on from her) but she and Guts will be super distant if not somewhat antagonistic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

U-DO Burger posted:

It'd be great if getting Casca back makes Guts decide to give up on revenge and just live a quiet life with her in Elfhelm, but Casca's too pissed at everything to agree to that and decides to go on her own rampage of revenge
I think I like this idea the most actually. "What she wants may not be what you want" combined with Guts mellowing out in recent arcs, etc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even with the potential hiatuses it's nice to feel really excited about Berserk again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My personal Berserk timeline goes something like: early 2000s buy VHS fansubs of the anime (later the DVDs), ~2002 catch up on the manga available at the time by borrowing a CD from a friend in our computer class that had the scans (back then it was hard to know where to look to download that stuff!), and the rest being history. I want to say it was a volume or two before Guts got the Berserker armor. Plenty of jokes around that time of "gee, is Casca ever going to get better??" So regardless of what happens going forward it feels like its own watershed moment of sorts.