Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
There's also the chance of getting lucky and finding someone selling them new on ebay for a good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
That was badass. I am fulfilled for now, but I think I'll get another craving for badass long before a new chapter comes out.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
^That is what I am dreading. Reminds me of Hellsing Ultimate. So loving slow.

This should be awesome, and I am getting my hopes up. I really hope we get all of volumes 1-3, and 15 to the newest stuff included. I'm not hopeful for a good ending, but I'd love to see it stay faithful to the manga for as long as possible.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

DrakePegasus posted:

I was all set to be crazy-go-nuts angry at the new posts not actually being a new chapter, and then I clicked the link.

Today is a good day.

It's the best news we could get outside of Miura announcing he would work on a regular schedule again. So I'll take it, cause more Berserk can't be a bad thing.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
There's supposed to be more news in the next issue of, uh, whatever that Japanese magazine that Berserk is in, Young Animal? Along with a new chapter. So we'll see.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
The preview for chapter 316 is out. Looks like this is going in an interesting direction!

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

temple posted:

Exactly how I felt. The beast conflict is getting stale. Something needs to be resolved.

I'm hoping that's the purpose Miura has for this little island battle, we can get some resolution for Guts before heading to the elf island or whatever. Then we can get resolution for Caska. Well, we'll see.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
It's still only 3 episodes. Doesn't he always do 3 in a row, then take a break?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Elysiume posted:

How long has it been since the last chapter?

Wasn't the last one released a week before Christmas? December 17/18 somewhere around there. Gonna be coming up on 3 month break soon, and even if they announce another chapter soon, it'll probably get close to being a 4 month break by the time it's released.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Hatter106 posted:

EDIT: Does anyone else find the Skullknight.net boards absolutely frustrating? I'll pop in occasionally but always leave in disgust. It's mostly due to a few spergy mods with 10,000+ posts, who fancy themselves absolute experts on anything Berserk-related, and chastise anyone who comes up with theories that they don't subscribe to.

Yeah, I had an account a few years back. I posted something about preferring playing games on a PC over the xbox360 and one of the admins decided I was stupid for not wanting to play a system that, at the time, was unreliable as gently caress. So he talked some poo poo, and I closed my account. They probably mean well, but they do piss a lot of people off.

On topic, I am looking forward to evil genius or whoever the hell is scanlating Berserk now. I really can't stand trying to decipher raw scans.

Also, is volume 34 out in Japan?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

My god guys, this means we've gotten more than 3 chapters in a row with known release dates

This means he's released regularly for A THIRD OF THE YEAR. Whoah.

When is the last time that's happened? 2007 or 2008 sometime?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

yaay posted:

where are they starting plot-wise though? I really hate the prospect of waiting fifteen years after the original series to be told 'gently caress it, the first season is gonna be a prologue aaaaalll over again!'

I'd really be happy if they just started at Volume 1 and fit the first 3 volumes into the movie. The part of volume 1 that was animated before was all hosed up and didn't follow the manga at all. I'd like to see Puck introduced properly, and see it end after Guts kills the slug apostle and meets Femto.

We'll see, of course, but I think they'd be doing fans a huge disservice if that all got skipped.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Hatter106 posted:

Well the world of Berserk is overrun with goddamn unicorns and mermaids right now, so it's a bit of an exercise in futility to ignore the fantasy elements. It's a FANTASY series, for god's sake.

e: honestly folks, the series has been pure fantasy ever since the Eclipse, in 1997. It's only going to get more fantastic from here on out. Maybe it's not the right series for you anymore. There are plenty of historical, realistic stories out there if that's what you're after. But if you're gonna roll your eyes everytime Miura draws a leprechaun or whatever, why are you still reading?

And it started out as fantasy to begin with. But it seems like a lot of people go out of there way to pretend the first 3 volumes don't exist and that the story starts at the Golden Age.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

Honestly the Golden Age was my least favorite part. My favorite part was the two Black Swordsman arcs, though I like where Guts has grown out of them. His arc is the most interesting part of the manga to me.

Same here. The golden age was good, but I just always enjoyed the other arcs better. Especially the fight with Mozgus, drat that was awesome.

Which is also why I'm a bit miffed that they're starting the animation with the golden age again. The only reason I even wanted another anime was to see parts we haven't seen animated yet, animated. I hope they make enough money that they actually continue animating the rest of the story.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

There are twelve months in a year. He put out twelve chapters this year. Now, how many chapters does that average out per month regardless of whether he puts out four of them in one month or not?

(hint it's one per month)

He put out 12 this year? I don't know about that. I think chapter 319 was the first one out in 2011, and 325 is the most recent release, and I am sure another one won't magically appear over the next 3 weeks, not that I would complain if it did. That would make a total of 7 chapters released during 2011.

The reason for the low release amount I think is because 2011 started off at the beginning of one of Miura's breaks, I don't think a chapter was published until April. Correct me if I'm wrong, I am mostly going off memory here.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Berserk 331 is out, though it hasn't been translated yet. The spoilers sounds pretty sweet, though I'm reserving final judgement until evil genius or someone else finishes a translation.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Ccs posted:

I think I enjoy the trailers for these movies more than the movies themselves. They promise greatness, which the films themselves ultimately don't live up to.

I have to agree, though I'm probably just being a stickler cause I really like Berserk. Well, if they do animate the stuff after golden age, I'll be getting that regardless since it'll be brand new. For animated golden age, I'm satisfied with the old 97 tv series.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Hmm, the last one came out right after christmas, so it's been about seven months now.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

I'm amazed he kept going after so many years. I thought he would just drop it eventually like the Priest manga author did.

Actually, speaking of Priest whatever happened to the author? Did he really just stop or was there something else going on?

Hahaha, I'd love to read peoples reactions if he just quit. Sad as it would be to see Berserk go away, it would be just as entertaining reading all the forums seething with impotent rage.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Oh don't mistake my words, I have no assumptions that he's quitting. I was merely fantasizing about nerd rage, that's all. I wanna see Guts chop Griffith up someday, myself.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
At this point I think a year long break is probably going to become the reality. Last release was around Christmas last year, so it's getting pretty close. I hope he's worked enough that when it does come back we get a decent amount of releases before another break. I'm not going to hold my breath on that, though.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

notZaar posted:

I would really like some kind of animated adaptation of something besides Golden Age. The first episode of the TV show was the best thing about it.

Agreed. I'd prefer if they didn't butcher it to fit into a short play time, however.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Darko posted:

I watched the anime before reading the comics. I share his sentiment. The Black Swordsman episode almost turned me off because it just seemed like more useless "grimdark" stuff - you need the flashback to set the tone that it's not just random ultra-violence. If I had read the manga first, I may not have made it to the Band of the Hawk.

I watched the anime before the manga too. When it transitioned from Guts slaughtering the snake baron into mercenary battles I was somewhat disappointed. I'd still love to see the slug count get cut to pieces in full animation someday.

That being said, Berserk really is a series where you need to read the entire thing to have full appreciation for each arc. They get woven together so well. For example, when Guts and Godo talk before Guts goes off to find Casca, it really helps put into perspective why Guts acted like he did during the black swordsman arc.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

Sometimes I forget that Miura actually has a great work ethic and can put out his typical high-quality material at a fairly quick rate. Not that you'd know this fact from his past year of either nothing or loli piss, but still.

Well the joke's on you cause according to the previews in this episode you get to see some loli rear end.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm sorry, it's been so long. Who is Luca?

The whore who saved Casca at the tower just before Guts fought Mozgus, the hosed up mega priest.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Or tries to rape(?) caska and it's just... heartbreaking.

Later less so.

Didn't he try to kill himself by falling onto a sharp piece of wood, or a branch or something? It seems he failed at all things after being rescued. Except killing all his friends.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
The last year Miura worked solely on Berserk, we still only got like 6 or 7 total chapters. Then he took a year off. Then he did a side project. Basically, never expect new Berserk, and when you do get it be pleasantly surprised.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
The last time I read through the entire series was probably 2008, so I give it a full read through. drat, I'm always surprised by how many little conversations and details I've completely forgotten about. Nothing critical really, but it's nice to know the small stuff cause Miura will bring it up again 5 or 10 years later just to trip everyone out.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Next chapter is gonna be the meeting between Griffith and Rickert. Should be out in a couple days. I'm really interested to see whats going to happen.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

House Louse posted:

I don't think Locus is focusing on the what Griffith did for the humans there, but for the Apostles.

It also implies that humans are a sideline for Griffith. It's the Apostles versus monsters. Notice that we see a monster and an Apostle fighting, but don't know which is which.

Sure we do, one is an ogre like Guts fought back in that little village. The other one is the apostle.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Next Berserk is out in a few days. I hope we can go back to Guts and crew after this.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
I don't know, but if it doesn't involve a 2 page spread of his hair swaying in a gentle breeze I'm not interested.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

The baby he used for his physical form will be critical in taking down Griffith I think, it's his only real weakness and vulnerability to Guts and that mute lady, I forgot whatever her name was.

Caska of Amontillado. Let's brick her up now.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
The longer the amount of time between updates, the less I give a drat about the entire series. I mean, I thought it was bad a few years ago when there was only 8 or 9 chapters a year. I look at skullknight forums and see the endless speculation and really that's all we're left with now due to the complete lack of releases. I'll keep checking back but I'm not impressed by the artist detail anymore, I just want the story to move forward again.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

tbp posted:

i read some of berserk over the last few weeks. is this not really that good for binging? the golden age storyline was way cool - you really wanna see what the deal is, why guts hates griffin so much, why griffin is like an invincible black superhero looking hawk etc.. but everything outside of that gets tedious kinda quickly. when going through chaps i would go like 8-9 at a time, and often i felt really unhappy to realize the point when it was "incredibly detailed page of guts slashing through monsters" for like 40 pages in a row. this could be my fault for not reading it serialized though

Who the hell is griffin?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
All animated versions of Berserk are, at best, mediocre. At worst they are crap and not even worth mentioning. If you like the idea of the story of Berserk, read the manga. I'm pretty much certain no animation will ever do it justice,

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Isidoro is 14 and he's only 4'3"? Jesus, kid needs to hit a growth spurt already.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well i mean he's an orphan who's been living in poverty most of his life, that isn't exactly conducive

I don't even think the north koreans are that short, are they?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Metal Pink Babble posted:

I've spended my grass, so where's my grass, you're walking fast...you're fading.

I've waiting so wrong for the next exciting instarment of Miura-sempai's three-part flashback, shining right on things happened and that giddy feel psilocybin gives me. Casca will be good as new and with a surfers' tan by the end of summer. Ojichan told me.

Hold on, I have to put my grasses on. It's okay, nothing will be wong.

Oh wait that was the opening song.

For someone who didn't watch a single episode of the new anime, is it even at all worth it to pick up the dvds and laugh at how lovely it is? Like a so bad it's good type of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Way the hell back in volume 3, chapter 5, when the slug count's behelit activates and him and Guts go to the Godhand world, Slan says she would love it if Guts could become one of theirs. That fat one (Conrad or Ubik, can't remember) replies that Gut's hasn't been ordained by the laws of fate, so he cannot be among them. That conversation happened so long ago I don't even know if it means anything anymore.