Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wow, just watched the anime and that ending was quite the what-the-gently caress moment. What a hosed up way to end a show... and I loved every second of it.

I'll be buying the manga from Dark Horse... if I can bring myself to part with all that money. drat I want more of this though, I was waiting for Guts to start killing demons and monsters the whole anime, and right when it gets to it, the anime ends! God drat!

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So it seems there's been quite a bunch of chapters for this lately, is this manga starting to get back on track maybe?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zorak posted:

He wasn't the vessel for Femto's rebirth until he was merged with that egg monster that was the actual vessel of Femto's rebirth. Otherwise the demon baby was just their corrupted and aborted child.
But but but FATE

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOoh it's december today, business as usual then.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shindragon posted:

I was on another thread and someone said Gutts is off the boat and I was like loving no way.

I come here.. and it's true.

OMG it's true!

Goddamn.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

there was also a cave of bewbs

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Unacknowledged posted:

I can think of several instances in the series where there's caves with boobs inside
there are many Berserk caves containing boobs but there is only one Berserk cave which is literally made of boobs

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I hear dollars are a very motivating force.

It's a bit funny to contrast the meticulously handcrafted manga pages with this university-project 3D animation garbage.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Verizian posted:

How come there's no Berserk Abridged with Griffith voiced as a valley girl?
Griffith isn't like Vegeta and Frieza where you can give him funny lines and a silly voice and suddenly he's funny, I mean yes sure you can right until The Eclipse but the problem is The Eclipse, there is no way you can dress what Griffith does in there up as funny, there's really no space in there for comedy.

Like the only way you could do an Abridged version and have it be enjoyable (the eclipse is not and can never be enjoyable to read) is to do an abrupt cut from griffith in the water accidentally grabbing the behelith, to 'NOTE: The Band of the Hawk died on the way to their home planet', to Guts waking up in a cave.

Even if you did that you would still have to deal with the fact that post-eclipse Caska exists and any attempt to make her a funny character is an extremely sensitive subject.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 2, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Begemot posted:

Across the WHOLE WORLD, there could be hundreds of apostles but they wouldn't necessarily be super common in every day life.
This also makes sense when you consider (lost chapter spoilers) the reason they exist, which is to give humanity a reason to explain why bad things happen. They exist to give flesh and bone to the horror stories that we create to explain loss, suffering and the unexplainable. The Idea of Evil creates these to feed these ideas, thereby also making itself stronger over time. So it makes sense that they are rare since they do their work best as stories spread through mankind as opposed to being regularly seen.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Miura has explicitly stated in interviews that he made the manga up as he went along. He made the god hand up after having drawn a few chapters. He decided Guts needed someone to be angry at so he made him angry at Griffith before knowing who Griffith was or what their vendetta was. When doing the Count arc he had not yet had the idea for the band of the hawk. The only thing he knew early on was that the driving theme for the manga was going to be Anger. The demon baby appears in the first arc with Count Serpent, but at that point it was not a demon baby. Later, after creating the first few prototype chapters and tying it all together, he was able to craft magic and have it all fall beautifully in place.

Miura has a lot of trust in his ability to make things up as he goes and have it turn out good in the end.

TBH i think this makes the writing more impressive than if the started off with a master plan.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The animes, movies, and other spin offs are all terrible. The manga is great
Counterpoint: Forces

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

So here's something odd I found.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-04-24/retailers-list-berserk-novel-by-anime-scriptwriter-makoto-fukami/.115211

Apparently they planning on doing a light novel based on Grunbeld. They announced it 2 months back.

Not sure how to feel about that. Feels odd for Berserk. Hopefully they don't try playing up sympathy for apostles or whatever; I've always felt that would be a bad direction for Berserk. Although after catching up on the manga that doesn't seem to be a concern.
Did you not read the Lost Children arc where Guts brutally murders a little girl who became a monster out of sheer desperation in running from her abusive drunk father and isolated remote village with no future.

Sympathy for the apostles is a theme in early Berserk, it's a big part of showing how brutal and unforgiving the world is.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 13, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I just read this scene today, what on Earth is the anime doing?
- Get huge budget
- Get huge team
- Pick director with no 3D experience
- Try to replicate an insanely detailed 2D art style in 3D
- Multiple failed attempts to convince director it will not work
- Finally succeed and reach a compromise after more than half a year that is neither good 3D art or anything close to good 2D art
- Now have 2-3 months until first episode to air, have broken tools, have no art assets at all
- Diarrhea-poo poo out scenes to have something by deadline like your career depends on it (because it quite literally does)
- It's Berserk 2016!

Imagine you have like 300 scenes to produce in a week so you can fill your episode or you'll be so hosed there's no explaining it. Scene 18 of todays 60 scenes is Zodd crushing a soldier's head with his monster hand. That is how you can get a talented 3D artist to create a clip of Zodd's hand powerpoint-transitioning into a bigger hand and crushing a headshaped melon mounted on top of a set of vibrating shoulders aired at prime-time.

Behind the majority of fuckups there is usually money, talent and good intent, it's just that something goes wrong along the way. The only really staggering thing about this is that they somehow repeated the same mistakes for later seasons. The only way that can happen is by not learning from your mistakes.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 11, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jedah posted:

Just curious, how do we know the new Berserk anime had a huge budget? If that's the case, it makes the new show even more of a travesty than it already was.
There was an interview with someone involved with the project, I think it was linked in this thread.

He stated the project was basically a wet dream child of the producer, who had a background in 2d animation but little 3d experience (which also happen to be why 6+ months where wasted on the as Zaphos says literally impossible task of making the 3d look like good 2d), good financial backing, a well-known brand with big potential due to the long delay since the last anime, and was also the first major 3d show that this studio has attempted to produce by itself. As such it had a bigger budget than most anime projects.

The interview also contained a lot of other fantastic tidbits about the breakdowns in the production. Apparently there was One Guy responsible for All The Tooling used to create the entire show. Predictably, the tools were a buggy mess.

But by the gods I can not find the interview anywhere at all after a grand 4 minutes of searching. Which is a shame because it was a really enlightening interview)

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 11, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

WaybackMachine to the rescue!

https://web.archive.org/web/20170720202604/http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834

It contains the production story, but not the budget quote. Not sure where I got that from to be honest, the internet is a vast place, or quite possibly i'm just simply wrong.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Super ultra spoiler: That heart, which 'a hex dwells within', looks alarmingly similar to the heart from the lost chapter. Not sure about it, but reacted to the way darkness flows in and out through its veins specifically. If there's something to it, then that is bad, bad news.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nonexistence posted:

So I wanted to read this manga just to see what all the hype is about and I've read through the golden age arc and it still isn't really grabbing me. The golden age events are the ones I hear most talked about and I have no idea what happens next. If I haven't liked it yet, is there any point in continuing? I'm happy to give it as many shots as necessary considering its reputation and the devotion of its fans, but if it's all downhill from here I think I'll just let it be.
There is a Thing that happens, you will know what the Thing is when you get to it. It will be worth it and at the same time you will wish you hadn't. Read until the Thing happens and stay far away from spoilers until then. Godspeed.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 15, 2018

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think if he finished the golden age arc he has got to that point. Unless you are talking about something else.

Personally it get a lot worse before it gets better.
True, i guess that depends on where someone who hasn't read the manga thinks the arc ends.

How do you know that you have reached the end of tge Golden Age arc?

I agree that if you have reached the Thing and are not hooked then the manga just isn't your cup of tea maybe.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 15, 2018

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

lobster22221 posted:

Is the idea of evil actually Canon? I thought he published that chapter by mistake, so for all we know it isn't even an actual element in the story anymore.

I'm probably getting facts wrong, so can someone clarify and or correct this?
At the moment it is not canon. Miura removed it because he felt it was a bad moment to introduce such a concept. It may come back later, but until it does just assume it won't. Apparently the way Miura has planned story the has changed a lot since then, so it might no longer have a place.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd really be surprised if Guts makes it out alive. I can't see him sacrificing anyone to finish Griffith or using the behelit to become a Godhand level demon or something in that vein to fight Griffith on an equal footing.

I want Guts to be happy 😭
Yeah there is no way in hell he can beat Griffith by swinging a sword around, so the ending will have to be something different. I could see this series ending somehow without Griffith being defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Folks, this is fairly simple: Too Much Child Nudity. A lot of those butt shots really aren't necessary for the story and just come off as standard mudbath/hotsprings fanservice but with children.