Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Mido posted:

It's September 13th, and I have no experience in hunting down manga scanlations/translations. Someone give some tips? And don't say google because I didn't get far with that.

I know Evil Genius was mentioned in the first post of the thread.

And I'll wait for the EG release. Perhaps some other versions will come out before theirs, I don't know who else does Berserk... but you don't settle for a low/medium quality speedscan with something like Berserk.

After all, when you've waited a month or two for Miura's obsessive levels of detail, you can wait a few more days to see it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

^^^ The link in the OP still reads 288.

Pretty cool, but kind of a let-down to me. If I wanted to see a good-looking, plausible sea battle, I'd go rent Master And Commander. It's neat, but it isn't very satiating when Berserk chapters are few and far between. Luckily the next one isn't too far away.

Though I must say, Miura's definitely got what he needs to tackle a sports manga. Mildly entertaining battles, looks of shock and despair when the enemies realize their defeat, and chock-full of information that wouldn't ordinarily be expressed out loud by the characters during the fight; like "the windward side is better".

I guess the nightmare part was pretty awesome.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Interesting chapter. I can see those Kushan assassins joining up with Griffith in time, like everybody else does. I gotta say, considering how rarely Berserk is released, that if you really don't like the political Griffith stuff, you might as well find another manga to satiate your bloodlust. Maybe something like Gantz.

That being said, I'd like to see some more old-fashioned Guts chapters soon, preferably chapters where Miura doesn't have to spend 3 months drawing the wood paneling on the side of a boat or a pirate crew of fifty thousand people shown in every frame.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

This Savatage album cover was drawn by some guy named Edgar Jerins, but every time I see it I think of Miura.

The first page of 295 sure didn't help the situation. God dammit.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

YouTuber posted:

Honestly I'm giving up on this manga. It's far too infrequent for the little progress made per chapter. I'll just come back in 20 years when we've gotten another 50 chapters.

I was actually thinking I would try to forget Berserk for a few years after chapter 300—we're at 297 now, if you've forgotten—but unfortunately, at the rate we're going we won't hit chapter 300 until mid-2009. That is, unless Miura jumps into some two chapters per month (or something like that) routine soon, and let's face it: if that were to happen I'd probably get so caught up in the moment that I'd refuse to stop after reading only three chapters. Hell, I wouldn't need to stop if he were to follow such a schedule.

Until a couple months later, anyway, when the next chapter is given an unknown date again.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Somebody should make a web page with a synopsis of all that has happened in Berserk, since we're all forgetting everything that has ever happened. Complete with some pictures. I'm thinking of those well-written Starcraft and Brood War "Story so far" pages put up in anticipation of Starcraft 2, which skim over the individual battles but explain all the important events, political affiliations of the characters... the stuff you need to understand everything.

I'd do it, but it'd mean rereading all of Berserk again, and I'm much too long-winded for any task that asks for conciseness.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Hell, if you're willing to write it up, I can do that much.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Mido posted:

gently caress it goons, let's band together our creative talents and draw the rest ourselves. Take that Miura!

24 Hour Comic Day is one week from now, so if you want to do this as radically different from Miura as possible, and draw 24 pages of "Berserk" within a single day, you could.

Or collect like 20 goons and do 480 pages of Berserk in a day. I can't promise that it would read as well as Miura's version, though.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Simply put, the people who still see the good in Griffith, after knowing what he's done, are the people who would be first to join his army and worship him if they were born on Berserk's world.

I think Miura's selling the antichrist-charisma thing a bit too well.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Seriously, did anything happen in the last chapter?

Well, Griffith's men transformed into demons in front of anybody, which might scare the poo poo out of them. It's just happening... very... slowly. As far as plot progression goes, you could probably equate a chapter of Berserk to two pages of One Piece. When there's a two page spread in One Piece, there's a Berserk chapter of nothing but two page spreads. And it takes 3 months for us to see it, instead of getting 18 or 19 per week. It's still a very cool chapter of two page spreads, but also very frustrating.

At this rate it'll probably go something like this:

299: Griffith's followers express concern at the demon army amid two page spreads of fighting.
300: Griffith's followers decide to do something about it amid two page spreads of fighting.
301: Some of Griffith's followers start dying painful deaths whenever they walk out of the light radius that God put there to make Griffith's hair look nice. Amid two page spreads of fighting.
302: Griffith's followers decide they're better off with Griffith.
307: The battle ends and Ganishka dies over the course of 3 more chapters.
405: Elf Island.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

I did a reread a few months ago, and my favorite thing in this chapter, even more than seeing Luca again, was the comparison of this new Falconia-Wyndham to "the city that slept beneath the old capital", Gaiseric's kingdom of "probably a thousand years" ago, which we first heard about back when Guts descended deep into those ruins to bust Griffith out of jail. I looked it up, and you can see a brief glimpse of its own fine statue-work (Chapter 53, "Thousand-Year Fiefdom"). Guts actually picked up on some of the Griffith/Gaiseric parallels himself, even back then.

It was also back in Luca's original arc that we had Mozgus' story about Gaiseric's days (Chapter 138, "Fierce Believer"), where we get a very biased account of what sounds like the Eclipse that caused his downfall. I love these little bits of lore, especially anything that might connect to the largely unspoken Skull Knight-Void history and its parallels and contrasts with Guts-Griffith.

Oh yeah, fun fact: Not only are Luca and Rickert both in the highly-exclusive group of people who have met the Skull Knight, they also both got a ride on his horse (Chapter 88, Chapter 156). I'm sure they'd have a lot to talk about.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

temple posted:

Luca and her story was really sappy and why I don't read most manga. It had the least character development because she was same throughout and the other girl who had TB or whatever found the boring rear end will to live/love. I'd say everything about that section was great except Luca's story. In short, liking Luca is anti-Berserk and you should feel bad for enjoying it.

Bring back Judeau, bring back Corkus, and especially bring back Wyald. He knew how to keep it interesting.

Anti-Berserk?? The characters you like are relatively boring. Nina, that other prostitute, was interesting because while she was (quite rationally) terrified of everything happening around her and this informed her decisions, but even still she attempted to do the right thing every now and again. When I read through this stuff in my early teens I didn't like her, because she was a coward and betrayed Casca quickly, but the fact that torturers even started to get to work on her fingernail before she ratted out a more-or-less complete stranger that was a burden on her lifestyle shows that she's probably worth more than you or I would've been in that situation.

Also, if we're talking about the women of Berserk: while the role she's settled into now hasn't been the most exciting material as of late, Farnese is without a doubt one of the most interesting characters of the series. There's a lot to sympathize with in the person she is and the person she's been, but online manga reader comments in those segments usually stop at "that bitch looks like a shemale." :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Something else I thought I'd share from my reread. On warmth:

Chapter 237:

Chapter 331:

Guts experiences the early signs of losing his humanity and becoming a scary skeleton man:

And finally, way back in Chapter 37, on leaving the Band of the Hawk Falcon:

praise the sun :(