Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

If you live with a house bunny you know you are a slave to their cuteness. I thought we bunny-lovers needed a place to show off our buns and tell of their funny antics!

(I searched for a thread like this, but I couldn't one, please let me know if one already exists)

My two buns:

Lucy

and Jack, the boy I'm trying to bond her with.

If you have any ideas on what breeds they might be, please let me know. I've been told that Jack is a French Lop, but he only weighs 8lbs.

Edit: Just took this picture, and had to post (sorry for the crappy camera-phone quality).

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MDR
Feb 16, 2004
KING NORTH PARK
I've never really seen a Rabbit up close, what are their attitudes/personality like? Seems like it would be awesome to have a rabbit companion.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Jesus Christ those are cute bunnies. The second one looks just like a bunny I had as a class pet 6 or 7 years ago. He loved getting his ears rubbed, and he ate so much goddamn celery. He was really fat and soft which made him even cuter. I was definitely a slave to his cuteness. He was probably the softest animal I ever touched. I wish I could get one but somehow I think my cats would rip it apart.

Just looking at that thing makes me want to rub its ears.

DrivesLikeAGirl
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma
House rabbits need more props so I welcome this thread!

Some links for those wanting to learn more about house rabbits:

http://www.rabbit.org/ House Rabbit Society

Many rabbits are abandoned as they get older. Baby bunnies are irresistable, but anyone interested in getting a first rabbit should really consider going through a rabbit rescue to get an adult one. They can really help you as you get to know rabbits (there's more to learn than you think!) and you will know the temperament because the bun is already grown. Often the rescue bonds the rabbit with a "hus-bunn" before the adoption, saving you the trouble of the sometimes-difficult bonding process. Also, spay/neuter is done for you.

Listings of rabbit rescues across the country:
http://rabbit.org/adoption/index.html

My state of Colorado's adoption website: http://www.coloradohrs.com/ If you love bunny pics, check out the adoption pages.

If there are no rescues near you, your local animal shelter likely takes in bunnies too. Check them out!

Everyone's already seen my buns, so I won't post any more pics than this one:

Girlscout, PM me if you need some bonding help. I had a "rabbit whisperer" from out of state help me with my first pair bonding years ago, and some of her techniques were really good.

DrivesLikeAGirl
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma

MDR posted:

I've never really seen a Rabbit up close, what are their attitudes/personality like? Seems like it would be awesome to have a rabbit companion.

MDR, I find their personalities more entertaining than cats. Many buns don't like to be held/picked up. This makes sense - prey animals don't like to feel like they're being carried off by a hawk! ;) But the love to play with you (some bunnies fetch; I had a bunny that would sit up and beg for food like a dog, and stay in "beg" position until fed). They love to be petted. Many buns prefer to sit beside you rather than in your lap. Some buns love to be held though; Bun-G used to ride on my shoulder when I drove around in the car after coming back from vet appointments or a trip.

I got a kitten and it grew up to be a "dud". Not affectionate and hides almost all of the time, despite me being ridiculously nice to the thing. So I'd compare rabbits to cats in that they are all cute and cuddly as babies, but grow up with different personalities. That's why I recommend rescuing an adult rabbit from a rescue.

I like dogs the best, but rabbits are almost as awesome as pets. Like with any "exotics" (ferrets, rats, etc) the more regularly you interact with them, the better pets they are.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
<-- Bandit. I'll take more pictures as soon as I can get a new camera.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

I'm not gay but my wiener is.
I don't have a house rabbit currently but I'm a huge fan. We had one while I was growing up. Mr. Bunn was definitely my mom's pet. She had a hutch built for him outside her office window so she could take him to work with her during the day. He would scratch her window to get lettuce and ear rubs. And he ruled the cats with an iron paw. He was a substantial size and threw his weight around. He lived for 10 years as a little dictator and we loved every minute of it. My mom was heartbroken when he died and hasn't replaced him in the 10 years since his death.

I recently spent some time with a friend who has two house rabbits. And I wanted to take them home with me so badly. We've been throwing around the idea of getting a house rabbit. I'm a little hesitant of how the dogs will react.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

DrivesLikeAGirl posted:

Girlscout, PM me if you need some bonding help. I had a "rabbit whisperer" from out of state help me with my first pair bonding years ago, and some of her techniques were really good.

I'll gladly take any hints you have too ;) I've tried every trick on the net to get my two to love each other outside of their cages, but Debbie still insists on trying to rip Murphy to shreds.

Girlscout, you have a cute pair. I love lops so much. Lucy reminds me of one I took in from my stupid cousin when I was about 13. She was a huge lop who loved chewing phone cables.

MDR, rabbits are fairly awesome if I do say so myself. I'm actually without mine for two more days - they're in boarding and I got home from vacation early. My day is pretty dull without having to play "chase the bunny around the apartment" for a few hours every night. They are very curious, incredibly playful, and have more personality than either one of my cats. Virtually odorless, quiet as church mice and super cute to boot. There is almost no downside to having a bunny, as long as you take the time to train and bond with it. I even take mine outside on leashes when weather permits(and neighbor kids are away). They enjoy lounging in the grass with my cats.

I've posted them on about a hundred different occasions, but you can ever have too much of the 4lb. fluffball that is Captain Murphy I say!

White Debbie is cute too.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

This sky is not pretty at all. It's rough and masculine. Like me.
I just took one home from work..we had him up for adoption at the store after someone just dropped him off. He's very sweet to me, lots of kisses and head-butts for petting. He reminds me of a very calm cat that likes to hide under things and be brushed.

Blanking on a name though. His ears look like DrivesLikeAGirl's black bunny and he has that greyish almost blue fur. His name was originally "Jake" but I don't know if I like it.

Interested in hearing bunny stories from all y'all!

Lady Bug
Apr 23, 2006

My Peter (not very creative I know but I loved the Beatrix Potter stories :3: ).

his claim to fame: http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/02/post.html

He likes to sleep in funny positions, it's really adorable. :3:

He doesn't like to be picked up but loves a good petting on the forehead. He hates getting his nails clipped and hates me for a while if I try. I can't trance him and the Bunny Burrito doesn't work. The other day I managed to clip a few of his nails and gave him a strawberry as a peace offering. I think he's okay with me now. :)

The best thing about Peter is that he figured out the whole litter box deal from the very beginning. He's always pooped and peed in the box, I didn't have to train him or leave him hay in the box or anything. It was really awesome.

Edit: OP I think Lucy might be a French Lop but Jack looks more like a Mini Lop (German Lop).

Lady Bug fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 8, 2007

tunafishicecream
Jun 15, 2007
So what technically is a "house" rabbit? Is it a purely indoor, or an indoor/outdoor rabbit? Are indoor only rabbits more socialized with people?

I never thought too much about rabbits until last year, when I rented a garage to use as a woodshop - the people that live in the house keep a couple of rabbits in the yard. They're very interesting - even more curious than cats. Every time I open the door to the shop, they make a mad dash for it; they love to explore. It's really cute actually, they end up strolling around with shavings and sawdust hanging off of their whiskers.

They're looking for cardboard, any kind of cardboard. Both of them love to chew on it. I try to make sure that printed boxes that might have poisonous ink are out of reach.

And they follow me around constantly, but they won't accept any pats on the head; they'll come right up behind me, but when I turn around they skitter just out of reach. The only problem is they're a little too fearless. When I had to lock up, I used to just turn on the jointer - it has an internal fan that creates an ungodly howling racket, and it would be sure to send them running away. Now, however, they're used to it, and I've got to shoo them out with a broom.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

tunafishicecream posted:

So what technically is a "house" rabbit? Is it a purely indoor, or an indoor/outdoor rabbit? Are indoor only rabbits more socialized with people?

I look at "house rabbit" as meaning a pet bunny vs a wild or wild caught one. A rabbit that will be more than just roaming furniture, and actually be a part of your family as any cat or dog would be.

99% of house rabbits are going to be found living in the home, but I've come in contact with a few online who have happy bunnies that dwell in hutches outside and are allowed to come and play indoors when the owners are home. I'd just prefer to keep the animals indoors where I know what dangers are lurking instead of outside where they can be exposed to fleas or a myriad of different bugs and inclement weather conditions.

The main thing to keep in mind is that your typical "house" rabbit will be well socialized and playful. Rabbits become bored easily, and boredom breeds destruction. They need to be challenged as they are smart animals and require interaction and playtime as they are quite social. That's why you'll see that the majority of owners have two rabbits instead of just one. One rabbit will do just fine in a home as long as you pay it plenty of attention.

SurprisingWoman
Jul 5, 2007
Surprisingly Delicious
Actually a "house rabbit" is exactly that. A rabbit that lives in the house. There is no reason to let your rabbit live outside. We have already seen in this thread that even people without their own rabbit can appreciate their personality and intelligence.

Here are a few quotes from https://www.rabbit.org which is the "House Rabbit Society" that explains their philosophy of outside rabbits, even part time.

Under no circumstances should rabbits be left outside after
dark. Predators are possums, raccoons, skunks, coyotes, dogs
and occasionally cats. If you have an outside enclosure that
you feel is very secure, a rabbit can still die of fright while
a predator taunts the rabbit from outside.

What is the greatest outdoor risk for rabbits?
The greatest threat is attack by predators. These occur
primarily at night, but can also happen occasionally in the
daytime. Hutches or cages do not provide enough protection to
make it safe to leave the rabbit outdoors 24 hours a day. The
House Rabbit Society receives many calls every week from
baffled people whose rabbit died during the night while
confined in a hutch. "I don't understand � the hutch wasn't
even unlocked, and the rabbit didn't have a mark on him. What
happened?" With her acute vision, hearing, and smell, a
rabbit can sense the presence of a predator such as a raccoon
even in your neighbor's yard. She may panic and injure
herself, or she may die of shock. Many raccoons can open
hutches. Other predators include coyotes, owls, hawks,
possums, cats and dogs.

11.3 I live in the city. Do I still need to worry about
predators?
Don't think your yard is free of predators just because you
live in the city. Raccoons come up through storm drains and
arrive in very urban areas. These agile animals can climb
tress and open doors. Wire cages are no protection for your
bunny. If your bunny cannot stay in your house at night, make
sure that he's enclosed within solid walls and behind a solid
door � a garage, shed, or basement � with a good lock.

11.4 My rabbit has lived outside for a long time without harm from
predators - why should I consider bringing her inside now?

Some outdoor rabbits avoid death by predator or the other
risks mentioned. But what is the quality of life for an
animal living outdoors all the time? And what sort of
relationship can you build if your bunny is out there and
you're indoors? A life spent confined to a hutch is boring,
depressing, and stressful for a sensitive creature such as a
rabbit. A life spent unconfined but outdoors is simply too
dangerous for domestic animals. By domesticating them, we
have deprived them of whatever natural ability they had for
survival on their own.

If your rabbit currently lives outdoors, we strongly urge you
to bring her in at least during the night, when predators are
most common. Even if she's confined to a smaller cage, or a
bathroom or utility room, she's safe, and she's making a first
step to being part of your family. There's no magic in
turning an "outdoor rabbit" into a house rabbit. It can begin
in a single evening.

Suzi Squirrel
Apr 24, 2007

My post count is so low because I spend all my time in BYOB... and I'm proud of it!
These bunnies are far too cute! I want to reach into the picture and cuddle them! Before I gush too much and start sounding like some crazy rabbit lady, here's Flopsy:

Taken 22nd Demcember, 2005. Two days after I got him.

Easter Bunny! Taken 8th April, 2007.

Btw, Lady Bug, the way your bunny is laid in that picture is a sign of happiness in a rabbit! A rabbit that can lay out like that is very comfortable in its surroundings.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

This sky is not pretty at all. It's rough and masculine. Like me.
I have bunny pictures now :) And a name for the little guy.

This is Hazel after hopping up onto the couch to watch icky daytime TV with me. He's much too endearing for his own good. He follows me around from room to room, attacks my ankle with kisses and the occasional nibble, and might be the softest animal I have ever touched.

I have no idea what type of rabbit he is. He's probably just a big gray mutt.

We're thinking about building a wire cube cage for him (bigger) and also thinking about finding him a friend, since we both work fulltime and don't get to hang out with him as much as desired. We have two rabbit rescues in the area as well as the humane society. Any advice?

Chilling under the computer. Yes I was watching him to make sure no cords were nibbled :)

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good
Whoa, I'm getting to this thread late.

girlscoutdropout, I think your Jack is a French lop like my Hollandaise, who is around 9 pounds:

This girl is the big boss. Holly's hobbies include rearranging her cage, playing with toys that make noises, and being told she's so pretty.

I also have two mini-rexes:

Mister Peep

and his sidekick Dayton

all pretending like he wasn't thinking about stealing the peanuts from that Drumstick. These two boys like to gang up on humans, one will be a distraction while the other tries to drag away anything that crinkles (ie bags of tortilla chips, etc).

All 3 are rescue buns and the best companions anyone could ask for.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
What a coincidence. I just posted pics of my bunnies.

The darker one, a Silver Marten, is Bunbun. I got her from a pet store as a bunny. The New Zealand White is Scary, whom I rescued from a shelter at around 1 year old. The shelter people had named him FUBAR, which tells you what they thought of the poor guy :(. He's got the sweetest disposition, too. They're both about two years old now.

They roam free in my condo and love to race around. Occasionally I bring my mom's puppy over and it and Scary play chase, although Scary's much faster than the puppy and will occasionally turn around and jump over the puppy's head just for fun.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

^^^ Look at those ears!!! Totally cute. You are one lucky person.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty posted:

^^^ Look at those ears!!! Totally cute. You are one lucky person.

Aw, thanks! I really love them a lot :)

Tinkerhell
Jan 3, 2007
So I have a question for you bunny fanatics. I had a mini rex when I was younger. I wanted to train her to be a 'house' bunny and I let her roam free by taking up ALL my cords and anything she could get into. The only problem was that she propelled herself with poop. I swear ever 5 hops there was a little pellet on the ground. I think she got the hang of peeing in the cage but it was like she didn't even know she was pooping.

Do your house bunnys poop everywhere or do they wait until they are outside or in their box?

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

Tinkerhell posted:

So I have a question for you bunny fanatics. I had a mini rex when I was younger. I wanted to train her to be a 'house' bunny and I let her roam free by taking up ALL my cords and anything she could get into. The only problem was that she propelled herself with poop. I swear ever 5 hops there was a little pellet on the ground. I think she got the hang of peeing in the cage but it was like she didn't even know she was pooping.

Do your house bunnys poop everywhere or do they wait until they are outside or in their box?

I've found in my own bunnies that it's a territorial thing. When I didn't have a cage, my first bun pooped all over the house even though she was box trained. When I got the second bun, I bought them a big 4x4 cage where I put them when I go out of town and whatnot. They view the cage as 'their' territory and will occasionally poop outside of the box in the cage to mark the cage as theirs. But when they're out running around in the rest of the house (my house) they don't poop at all because I think they understand that this is my territory.

Or I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it from some reading I've done.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Was your old bunny fixed? I'm also thinking that it may have been a territorial thing.

Both my buns are litterbox trained, but they have occasional accidents. They will use either of the three cat boxes, much to my dismay(clumping clay litter ya know), but I provide a bunny box outside their cages on both levels of my apartment. Murphy not so much, but Debbie, coincidentally a mini Rex, will miss if she's too busy chasing the cats to realize she needs a crap. At least it's easy to clean.

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

Tinkerhell posted:

My bunny did this and after awhile he just stopped doing it on his own. Maybe its because he was older or more comfortable in his surroundings.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
There wouldn't happen to be any hypoallergenic breeds of rabbit, would there? I would absolutely LOVE a rabbit sometime in the future, but my boyfriend has really bad allergies, and he said they're the worst around rabbits.

It won't be for at least 4 years, but it'd be nice to know if I still have options.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

As far as I know, no rabbits are hypoallergenic. They are all very fastidious groomers and their allergen-loaded saliva is all over them. However, my mom is allergic to cats and rabbits, yet we had them for years. She took allergy medication all the time and wouldn't let the pets in her bedroom. Thinking about it now, she must have been miserable all the time but she refused to live without pets.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Jesus Christ those are cute bunnies. The second one looks just like a bunny I had as a class pet 6 or 7 years ago. He loved getting his ears rubbed, and he ate so much goddamn celery. He was really fat and soft which made him even cuter. I was definitely a slave to his cuteness. He was probably the softest animal I ever touched. I wish I could get one but somehow I think my cats would rip it apart.

Just looking at that thing makes me want to rub its ears.

Actually bunnies and cats get along great I've been told. *shrugs*

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

MDR posted:

Rabbits make excellent pets, they kind of are like a cat in the sense they're quiet and usually pretty lazy (except when playing). Mine just hop on the couch and hang out, watch TV, etc. They're both litter box trained so no messes!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Lady Bug: Thanks for the input on the breeds. I'm don't think Lucy is a french lop because she has a long snout (hard to tell in the picture) and french lops usually have a flatter face, I've been told. And Jack definitely isn't pure mini lop although he does look like one. I guess they're both just mutts :)

Side note: Sorry I've abandoned this thread, our internet was down and Comcast is horrible customer service-wise. But I'm back now!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Hey Tricknee,
I keep my bunnies in a pen made out of NIC cubes. Just use zip ties to attach two on top of each other then connect all the pairs. If you go to https://www.bunnyrescue.net and click "Bunny Basics" it shows a pen. Although that pen is from a petstore made for dogs. Then just buy a carpet scrap and your on your way!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
okay so recently this picture got taken of Paterson and I want to show it off everywhere since it's the cutest thing ever:

edit to add: as of this morning, Paterson can thump. He's never thumped, as far as I remember, but he's suddenly learned how. So far he's thumped at me out of nowhere four times in the hour I've been awake. I'm hoping that he'll get over the novelty of it and stop soon because it scares the other two.

luscious fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 13, 2007

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

luscious posted:

okay so recently this picture got taken of Paterson and I want to show it off everywhere since it's the cutest thing ever:

edit to add: as of this morning, Paterson can thump. He's never thumped, as far as I remember, but he's suddenly learned how. So far he's thumped at me out of nowhere four times in the hour I've been awake. I'm hoping that he'll get over the novelty of it and stop soon because it scares the other two.

Totally cute pic! He looks very soft.

Thumping is a rabbit's way of warning other rabbits of danger. Something must have changed in your household to stress/threaten him, otherwise he wouldn't have started thumping.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

luscious posted:

cutest thing ever + thumping

Bunbun recently learned to thump, whenever we are chopping veggies. The new rabbit room is right off the kitchen and Bunbun disapproves of loud knives chopping his dinner, he prefers his veggies to be carefully and quietly torn by hand. We have 10 rabbits in the rescue at the moment and when Bunbun starts, it sets them all off which is hilarious.

Bunbun may be my favorite of all our sanctuary bunnies, not least because of what he went through before we got him. He was found in a decrepit wire-floor hutch outside a school, after a hurricane. He had been left there while the school was closed for 2 weeks, supposedly a neighbor kid of the teacher was looking after him. But when we got there, the roof was broken in, the pellet hopper was full of moldy mush, and he had chewed through the bungee cord holding the door shut so he couldn't reach his water bottle. There were dead chickens and MOUNDS of feces under the hutch.

After the police surrendered him to us, I contacted the teacher, and she claimed he was 8 years old. That was September 2004 making him almost 11 years old. That seems unlikely, unless his care had been far better in the past, but he certainly acts like an old man. He'll go over into one corner of his pen and then cock his head like he can't remember why he went there, and then turn around and come back.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Bailey on the windowsill. She passed away this February.

This is Sean, standing in the dog's food dish.

Some of Sean's favorite activities are sitting in the dog's bed, chasing the dog in the backyard, and eating. I've had bunnies since before I had Sydney the dog, and the pup has always been extremely gentle (and hilariously submissive) with the buns.

Sean was the pet of the security guard here at work, and she had to get rid of the rabbit because her dogs were too aggressive to keep a bunny with.

(that's the cage he "came with" back in that picture, I moved him to a flat-bottomed cage right after that, don't worry)

Anyways, when he and the dog were romping out in the yard, Sean's toe got broken on his back foot, and off to the vet we went. Since he was going to have to go under for the X-ray and the splinting of his foot, I also asked for him to be neutered.

I got a call from the vet that afternoon, telling me that Sean was a "she", and would I like to have her spayed? Oops!

She's doing fine with her foot all wrapped up, although she has a hard time sitting on her back feet to clean her face!

As much as I have loved the 3 buns I've had over the years, I think Sean is my last. I had a perfect setup with my last apartment where I had an enclosed and carpeted sun porch to let Sean and Bailey out and do their thing as much as they wanted, but since I don't live alone any more, I don't have the control over cords and other delicious chewables all over the apartment that I used to. Even as I say this, I know I'll probably take another one in at some point!

Quick question, at the recommendation of the vet, I switched over to all veggies and hay rather than veggies + hay + occasional pellets, and Sean is drinking a lot less water than she used to. I figured that it's because she's getting water from the increased veggie intake, but wanted to see what you all think. She's going back to the vet soon too, so I'll make sure the vet ok's it also.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

CalamityKate posted:

Quick question, at the recommendation of the vet, I switched over to all veggies and hay rather than veggies + hay + occasional pellets, and Sean is drinking a lot less water than she used to. I figured that it's because she's getting water from the increased veggie intake, but wanted to see what you all think. She's going back to the vet soon too, so I'll make sure the vet ok's it also.

Sean is very cute! Regarding water, that's exactly right, and typical. My new intakes who aren't used to veggies typically go through a bowl of water a day; when they start eating all their veggies they go down to a few sips a day. However, as Sean ages, I'd follow the recommendations here. Small, very active rabbits who have no tendency towards obesity, and older rabbits who start losing weight, can both safely have a small portion of high-quality pellets in the diet. I've seen it make a wonderful difference in very elderly rabbits or those with chronic illness. But be sure to choose pellets without alfalfa and with a high proportion of timothy hay to "filler" ingredients, and think of them as a calorie-dense supplement rather than as a food. And honestly, even before that, there's no harm in giving 4 or 5 pellets as a treat once in a while. They often have a sugary binder like molasses in them which is why some rabbits go nuts for them.

Katisu
Jul 14, 2006

cadbury. she doesn't like the camera flash and brownie is trying to protect her from it (plus brownie's a ham for the camera). i don't have any close-ups at work. boo.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Lady Bug posted:

My Peter (not very creative I know but I loved the Beatrix Potter stories :3: ).

his claim to fame: http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/02/post.html

He likes to sleep in funny positions, it's really adorable. :3:

He doesn't like to be picked up but loves a good petting on the forehead. He hates getting his nails clipped and hates me for a while if I try. I can't trance him and the Bunny Burrito doesn't work. The other day I managed to clip a few of his nails and gave him a strawberry as a peace offering. I think he's okay with me now. :)

The best thing about Peter is that he figured out the whole litter box deal from the very beginning. He's always pooped and peed in the box, I didn't have to train him or leave him hay in the box or anything. It was really awesome.

Edit: OP I think Lucy might be a French Lop but Jack looks more like a Mini Lop (German Lop).

This looks like the softest bunny ever! I just want to cuddle him!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Suzi Squirrel posted:

These bunnies are far too cute! I want to reach into the picture and cuddle them! Before I gush too much and start sounding like some crazy rabbit lady, here's Flopsy:

Your bunny and mine have the same name! Except his is technically Sir Robert Flopsalot the third, Flopsy for short (we knighted him with a pen).

He's about 4 months old and has a trip to the vet scheduled on Tuesday to get neutered. He's started nipping at me -- rather, not at me, but at clothes that happen to be on me, as well as blankets, pillows, sheets, clothes lying around and any other cloth materials within reach. (And yet somehow ignores the 'flavored' sticks I bought him and leave in his cage.) Is this normal puberty aggressive behavior that I can hope will go away when he gets neutered? Rabbit.org says no punishment, just positive reinforcement, but I kind of jump every time he bites me; and then he gets startled, but it hurts!

How long did it take to litter train a bunny? I've been trying for a few weeks now but it's sometimes hard to tell when he's peeing. He'll sometimes back into a corner and just sit there and when I peek under his butt, no pee. And the one time I think he's just sitting in a corner, he moves away and look, puddle. :sigh:

Also bunny needs a bigger cage, but that will have to wait a month until I move into my new apartment. How long does it take for them to get used to a new home? I imagine new apartment + new cage will be a big deal.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

angelicism posted:

How long did it take to litter train a bunny? I've been trying for a few weeks now but it's sometimes hard to tell when he's peeing. He'll sometimes back into a corner and just sit there and when I peek under his butt, no pee. And the one time I think he's just sitting in a corner, he moves away and look, puddle. :sigh:

Cute little bunny :)

Debbie used the litterbox within five minutes after coming home with me, Captain Murphy took about 2 months iirc. Lot of patience, and trial and error. What worked with him was removing all bedding from the cage floor, and any time he pooped I would pick it up off the cage bottom and place in his litterpan. Then wiped the floor clean with some white vinegar and a damp cloth. Every bunny is different though :/

I just built Debbie a new cage. She adjusted to it immediately. Just keep something familiar smelling in or near the cage after a move, kind of like with cats. He shuold settle in within a day at the most I'd imagine

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

quote:

Also bunny needs a bigger cage, but that will have to wait a month until I move into my new apartment. How long does it take for them to get used to a new home? I imagine new apartment + new cage will be a big deal.

Because he's going through puberty now, there's really no reason to even try litter box training. He's going to poop and pee everywhere because his hormones are bouncing all over the place. Getting him neutered is step #1. It'll still take 4-6 more weeks for all his hormones to get out of his system. Then, litter training should be rather easy. I don't know how big his cage is, but the more litter boxes you can fit in there (without him being too crowded), the better. Also, if you clean the litter boxes at least 2 times a day, he'll be trained faster. Bunnies love love love clean litter boxes (assuming that's where you put his hay). I fostered 2 ~4 month old brothers and I thought they'd never be litter trained. Then about a month after they were neutered, they finally got the hint. Then 2-4 more weeks after that they were about 95% litter trained.

Keep your head up! Bunnies are such joys to have, and even more pleasant when they're litter trained haha.

Also, when you move him to a new cage, I would strongly recommend making a circle pen out of a box of the wire cubes you can buy from target (see post above). I just zip tie them on top of each other and make a round pen, stick it on a scrap of carpet and you're good to go! It makes clean up so easy, just dump the litter box daily. I'll vacuum it out once a month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain

Solar Jetman fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 30, 2011