Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mansurus posted:

Growing up in Savannah, Georgia, i've always had a fondness for Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). I've grown up around it, i love the city, and i've heard many awesome things about the school and how it's one of the best in the nation. One thing that worries me is their "foundation studies" requirement. I have little desire or talent in regards to any art other than photography. How big of a deal is this, and should it make me dismiss the notion of seriously considering the school?

If you're going to a fine arts program, you're going to have to complete the fine arts core curriculum. There's no escaping it, and there's also no need to worry about it. Nobody's expecting you to become an amazing painter or crank out photorealistic drawings—it's just to get you grounded in the arts and supply a baseline of knowledge for every student. If you've done your time in a black and white darkroom, you've actually got a leg up on many of the students when it comes to art core... Shading is a huge stumbling block for many people because they can't divorce color from light and shadow.

You will survive drawing, and you will be amazed at yourself. If you don't go into things with angst and blinders on, you'll also learn something from all of your out-of-concentration courses. "How can I apply X to my Y" is the correct answer; "I don't need no X because I'm a Y-er" is the answer that makes people miserable and gets them lovely grades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU