Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

I'm loving your advice Same, please don't forget about me because I would like to read more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

How much does the pay differ between a bachelors & masters in the graphic design world?

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

Same, please give your thoughts about design email signature etiquette!

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

x

Jabe fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 12, 2012

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

why does everyone ignore me on these forums ?

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

I'm baffled in the way you guys show your work. It's seriously bad. ( I'm talking to you guys, Kittenofdoom & roofie )

Remember that presentation is everything. Why not show off your 3D work in another way? Add some sketches next to it, or more wireframes, or render it in a bunch of different positions and make a composition that really brings value to the work.

Your work isn't even that bad, but the entire site build around it just brings down the value so much. Start reading about interface design, web design and portfolio presentation.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why schools let people graduate with portfolios like that. Even if you showed _REALLY_ impressive stuff on that website. I probably still won't hire you because A) I won't believe it & B) it shows to me that you don't really have a feeling for design or presentation. Which is at least as important as your actual design skills.

Have some respect for your work and present it in a way it deserves to be presented.

Protips: http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/ use this or find a generic portfolio site where you can upload and show your work. There are some out there that are very decent.

I can safely say you will never find a job with these portfolios. I graduated 3 weeks ago. It's not hard to find a job when you present yourself in a professional and positive way. It can be done, but goddamn spend more time on it then your actual work, because it is essential in everything you do.

Jabe fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 16, 2009

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

^^ Welcome to the advertisement business

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

Honestly if you want to go the graphic design route, just learn web design. HTML/CSS is super easy to learn and you will probably win over most jobs against people who only know graphic design.

I don't know about the market situation in America though, but here in Europe there are a lot of job openings for multimedia designers (which is what I'm doing know) and the work ranges from web & graphic design, illustration, photography and video/3D stuff.

It seems to me that 'graphic designers-only' is a thing that's dying out, people need to know more than one tool nowadays. But luckily for you that is very easy to do with online tutorials and total training videos !

You'll have an edge on the competition in no time AND you'll have a creative job that pays very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

Just buy a lynda.com account mate. I did a master in communication & multimedia design and in the end I pretty much learned everything myself thanks to these videos.

Total training is great too.

Why spend time and money on school when you're going to freelance anyway?

And it's never too late for networking, just become a regular at meetups, conferences, seminars and whatever is going on in your city/town.