Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

akanekun posted:

Just graduated from there last fall as illustration when I started as transportation design, so here's the info I have for the school (broken into sections, sorry for the length)

Do you have a portfolio or website. I'd like to see some of your work. Also thanks for the power post. I was thinking of going to art center, but the expense and the distance (i'm from WI) kinda killed that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
TheKingPuuChuu: You might want to get some of your work on the front page. It'll hook people in a lot quicker than just a bunch of type.

Could I get some feedback on my website as well? I'm working on getting some of my art on the front page. I'm not sure what to do for my next step. I'm trying to get into concept art or animation in video games and have been having a really hard time landing that first job in the industry.

I'm currently reworking my portfolio and just continuing to produce work, but is there any other stuff I should be working on?

Tips on getting freelance work?

Should I concentrate my work on a more specific genre or be more diverse?

http://www.levigilbert.com

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
I'm going through kind of the same thing and it is hard, but you just got to break on through. I get distracted really easily and I think most people do; try scheduling your time out. I found that if I treat my days like I'm at work and get in that mindset so I'm waking up early and getting to work and having a lunch break, etc. I put in 8 hours yesterday on my portfolio. Woke up at 8:30am and worked basically nonstop till 6pm with a few breaks to get food and whatnot.

I'm not really sure about your field, but you can make mock stuff for companies or whatever you want to do. You don't actually have to get hired for something. Just be critical about your work and keep remaking your portfolio with new and better stuff.

Basically what everyone else has been telling you.

Hang in there! Kick some rear end!

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Not really sure where this belongs, but thought you guys might get the most use out of it.

Came across this article on a Cintiq alternative: http://frenden.tumblr.com/post/38693256477/yiynovamsp19u
Also a review on a wacom tablet alternative: http://frenden.tumblr.com/post/31659364200/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could

Monoprice has a 10x6 graphics tablet for 50$ and a 12x9 for around 90$. I just ordered the 12x9, currently I'm using a 5v4 wacom graphire 2. I can let you guys know how it works.
I've used a Cintiq and an intuos 3 back when I was in school. The Cintiq is quite large/heavy and I definitely noticed a delay. A 600$ alternative to a 2,000$ Cintiq is kinda crazy.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
I don't think elance is a good idea, but you might as well try.

Keep drawing, try to push your art towards some kind of specific look or whatever you want jobs doing. Like if you really want to do commercial illustration for advertising you should make mock commercial illustrations. If you want to do book cover illustration then mock up book covers. Pick some popular books and do cover redesigns. If you want to be a character artist you should gear all your drawings towards that. Looking at your portfolio I see a lot of character work so I'm guessing you want to do character design stuff?

I think your website kinda looks unfinished. Try putting your gallery right on the front page so you don't have to click through to find it. You might want to try a tumbler setup, sometimes it's easier than those portfolio websites. Also get a url with your name or something simple to remember that relates to you. having .carbonmade.com on the back of your name doesn't look professional.

Here's my website: http://www.levigilbert.com

It's a bit old and I haven't updated it. Also I need to setup a blog in it. I think people really like seeing repetition like posting new stuff every thursday or something.

Another thing, remember you're not just an artist. As an artist you have to be an editor and a designer and probably a bunch of other things too. Get in the habit of going through your work and editing out the bad stuff. You should only have your best work in your portfolio and on your website. If you're going to do a blog like post thing don't post every loving drawing you ever do. Some of your drawings are going to suck. Draw all week and then when you get to your weekly posting day you should only pick the best stuff you did that week. Even if it's only one little drawing. You also have to show possible clients that you have a basic understanding of design. This means that your website should at least look appealing. Use different font sizes and bolds and italics to add some break up to your pages. Look at the websites you like and try to understand why you like them and then go to your website and see if you can implement some of the same ideas. One of my friends is a graphic designer and has a great website so I looked at her website and tried to break it down into what I liked and what I could do to my website to get it on par with hers. Turns out I just needed to add a little colored text, change some font sizes and it looked a million times better than what it did.

That was a lot of words, sorry. Also I should take my own advice...

le capitan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 23, 2013

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

I have a Canon LiDE scanner and get better scans than that. Try messing more with the levels adjustment. Get your background as close to white as you can and then adjust the gray and black till your lines look good. Crop out the edges of the paper for the love of god. If you couldn't take the time to make your drawings presentable why the hell should I take the time to look at them?

Your best pieces on your portfolio so far are the photo-study and maybe that doodle of the guy with the sunglasses. Try to get all your portfolio pieces to that quality and I think you'll be on the right track. I'd delete all the other images besides those two off your website and then work on stuff and compare it to those until you got something that either matches the quality or is better. Shoot for 8 pieces total for now. Usually you only need around 8 - 15 portfolio pieces.

The idea behind mock-ups is not that you sit around drawing book covers all day, it's that you can deliver a product to a client. Unless you're famous or insanely talented, no one is going to buy your sketchbook and your doodles. Right now it looks like your portfolio is showcasing sketches and doodles.

Here's an example: Marko Djurdjevic is this guy that decided one day to redesign the X-men. Marvel happened to see them and he got a job doing covers for a ton of their stuff. If you type x men redesign into google it auto finishes it with Marko Djurdjevic. Yes, he's a very good artist. He was a good artist before he did those mock-ups. Those mock-ups helped him get noticed by a client.

Dave Rapoza is another guy that started getting a lot of work because of his mock-ups getting noticed. He did a bunch of realistic stylized paintings of TMNT and some other famous stuff which started getting him more attention and whatnot which lead to more clients.

Obviously don't just do redesigns of stuff only. You want some personal work, but also some work that might grab peoples attention. Again this really depends on what kind of work you want to do which I don't think any of us know and I don't think any client would know either. That's kinda a big problem. Make a stronger portfolio, make a better website, make sure clients know what you're selling.

One last thing I thought I'd mention; I read this somewhere and think it's a really good principle:

People will hire you based on 3 things. You need 2 of the 3.

-Good work
-Good to work with
-Fast delivery

If you create really good work and have a fast delivery, but you're a complete rear end in a top hat to work with, people will still hire you. If you're fast and really easy to work with, but your work is only average, people will still hire you. If you're good to work with and do good work, but you're pretty slow at producing the work, people will still hire you.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

Not sure if this question was asked before and if it did, I'm sorry for not searching the forums more. But I was wondering if there was a difference between me getting a graphic design degree in an art school and getting one in a public university such as arizona state or uconn.

Some state schools have pretty good art programs so it really depends. I'd research the program(s) you're interested in and see if they're good.

Try to find student and faculty work to see if it's strong work or not, see what alumni from that school are doing, check what the faculty did before teaching, etc.

This really goes for any state school, art school, tech school, mentorship, atelier, or whatever. I went to a two year tech school that just so happened to have a great animation program that the majority of their alumni were hired by local video game companies.

Also the main thing with art/design related stuff is that your work/portfolio is what's going to get you a job, not necessarily where you went to school. A good program really helps, but you still need to put in the hours.

Hope this helps

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

PrivRyan posted:

I'm in a bit of a stint.

I know what I want to do now, which is computer engineering, but I'm a bit discouraged thinking maybe this career is way out of my reach.
I'm in community college right now trying to get my basics in, but I'm wondering if my grades will be good enough to be accepted for an engineering program at some university. I'm definitely not stupid, as my grades are usually top in my class for whatever subject.

What do you guys think I should do?
I'm not really knowledgeable about this stuff, so I was wondering if I should retake ACTs or something to try to go for a higher grade so maybe I'd have a better chance at getting accepted.

I would research what's in high demand and learn how to do that, i would then demonstrate that i can do that with some kind of personal project that involves said skills.

Super ultra bonus gold stars for making something that solves some problem a lot of people have in your field.

And you better care or be passionate about that area of work and not just in it for the money or because it's trendy right now.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 20, 2014

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Found out today that I didn't get a job I'd felt pretty confident about. I'm 25 now and starting to think this is never going to happen for me.

I'm 26, keep on fighting

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Nessa posted:

Cross posting from the Career Paths thread....

What was just previously posted might be helpful for you as well.

With the designy decor stuff, depending on what it is, maybe etsy?

Also thanks for posting all that useful info on freelancing! I've been trying to get my freelance illustration work going so it's nice to hear about this type of stuff and get some perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Nessa posted:

Etsy would not really work for me. That kind of thing just wouldn't pay the bills and wouldn't give me maternity leave or anything. I need some kind of stable day job.

Going off the children's illustrations, maybe try to find a design firm that mostly works on kids toys, books, etc?