Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

^^^ What up Sheridan Buddy :hfive:

Anyway, I have a really stupid question. I have a few portfolio pieces that are digital, and I want them printed at a decent res (higher than 8x11, and glossy) my printer can't handle this, but I can't figure out how the hell to do this. I've looked up a few print shops but they only seem to print business cards and stuff. Am I just not looking hard enough?

I'm surprised you're having trouble with that actually. Most print shops should be able to do that easily. I've personally used Kinkos and Sir Speedy (US based, not sure if it's in other countries) and both have been fine. You should be able to ask to see paper samples. Just keep in mind if you do an odd size, you'll probably have to pay extra for them to trim it down unless you're a cheap bastard and want to trim it out yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

yuming posted:

Hi guys, I'm curious if anyone has any insight on MCAD's BFA programs. My sister is interested in going there, probably for illustration or animation.

I understand art school is what you make of it, and I do feel like MCAD has a better feel for the industry than, say the U of MN. I guess my main concern is: are the programs at MCAD strong enough to be worth the $120k tuition price-tag? If she's going to spend that much, should she be applying at SCAD/etc as well? A friend of mine is $75k+ in debt and working retail after art school, so I am a little skeptical.

What kind of jobs could a degree in illustration lead to?

I've taken a few illustration classes there (this was after I had graduated with a design degree from another school) and I had a friend that went there for design but draws comic books now.

Illustration tends to lead toward freelance which as my MCAD teacher said, "you don't get into it for the money." Freelance illustration is fun but it won't always be paying the bills on time, especially when you first start out. The teacher that said this is a successful childrens book illustrator. She said that thankfully because of her husband, she's at least able to get health care. Animation is largely 3D now and your sister will probably be disappointed if she's looking into doing just 2D. There's also not a lot of animation jobs around the area. If she does go to MCAD, stay the gently caress away from the "manga and anime art" courses. The school is extremely well respected in the area though. She will likely be able to get an internship or freelance work while still in school. If she's looking into the school seriously she probably already knows that Mary GrandPre went there. Well Mary dropped out after a year or two and obviously has done just fine on her own. She was given a degree years later in exchange for her giving some speeches at the school.

From what I saw, the school has some great teachers and graduates some incredible artists. I personally would not spend that much for an illustration degree from there though mostly due to how much you'll be making after graduation in contrast to what you spent.