Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Maybe this is a silly question but...

My art needs a lot of work. I'm not perfect, but I want to improve. Going to an art school, am I going to be able to learn to better my skill, or am I going to be expected to just be perfect at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I have a few questions for someone studying/getting their masters in museum studies or curatorial studies, or currently working in position similar to that.

Anyone here doing that? I felt this was the best place to ask. I'd rather speak one-on-one so if you could PM me or Email me that'd be rad as hell.

Edit: Its about Grad school

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm graduating in a week with a BFA in Fibers from MassArt in Boston. I work full-time at a yarn store and have a ton of experience working with fibers. I don't really know what I want to do right now but I'm overwhelmed at how lovely the job market is and how dumb I was to get a loving fine arts degree in fibers. I'd be happy to work at a gallery if any of them were even hiring.

Anyone here have experience getting into textile or fiber fields? I'd like to work with yarn companies but I don't think that will happen.

I don't even know where to look for work :| My school sucks and this thread just overwhelms me.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I just kind of randomly came into this thread but I saw this post. Looking at that school, it's not cheap even if you live there, and it sounds like this bachelor's in fibers could have cost upwards of $100k. That's stupefying. Did you investigate job prospects for this education? How did they sell it?

I was 17, grew up in a small town, and would have done anything to get the hell out of there.

I did investigate job prospects, thanks for asking. I originally applied as a printmaking major with the intent to go into medical illustration. Except I hate drawing. So I switched to fibers and I planned on doing either design work or conservation work, which requires a masters which I'm ok with but not right now in my life. Add on that museums aren't really funded right now, and the job prospects are pretty low.

Ultimately it depends on who you know. I know plenty of people in my major who have gotten positions, but they've networked like crazy.

And MassArt is significantly cheaper than most private art schools.

Edit: Are you from the US? Most education out of state is close to $100k. There's really no way to make sure that you'll get a job out of college even if you study something like engineering.

And it's a little late to criticize my choice in a degree now, isn't it?

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 12, 2012

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Your school sells that degree because people will buy it. I was genuinely curious how they pitched it. I think our educational system has become disgustingly predatory and I think the next bubble to burst will be student loans.

Best of luck.

I'm not entirely sure how my degree in fibers is any more "predatory" than someone elses degree in illustration in this thread.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Edit: Nevermind

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 13, 2012

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm going to apply to some gallery shows and they all require me to send in a CD, which is cool. Should I also include my artist statement and CV? Do I print it out or just stick it on the CD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I don't know if this is the right thread, but does anyone here have experience with artist residencies?

I graduated with a BFA in Fibers in 2012 and took a day job doing something unrelated. I haven't made any work since as I kind of burnt out. I feel like doing a week of nothing but making poo poo in a new environment will be good for me, but the process of applying seems rather daunting right now. My portfolio is crap and I have nothing that a residency would really want to support. In addition, because I can't quit my day job I can't stay at a residency longer than a week or so.

Just looking for other people's experiences.