Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

From a recruiter's perspective, are there any significant advantages for a potential hiree to have both a BFA from a technical art school like AI and a BFA from a 4-year public university in a similar field?

I realize that it's going to mean nil if you don't have anything to show for it, but is there any immediate interest-piquing effect seeing someone's resume indicating that they graduated from two separate schools at the same time?

Also, is it fairly common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

So, I'm pretty well situated on my way of being a career design student.

But right now, I really want to teach myself (and eventually master) illustration in my spare time for pet projects
More notably, I want to learn rendering, posing/characterization, and comic style/formatting

I've been setting aside a decent amount of cash in order track down essential resources (i.e. books & DVDs mostly)
Finding the most effective way to successfully teach myself.

Before it gets mentioned, I already know that going this route is going to be much harder and much less effective than taking actual classes.
I'm already an art student, but I am way beyond any point of flexibility for electives, so it can't be helped.

Anyways, for a long time, I was whole-heartedly considering the ConceptArt.org learning materials

http://www.conceptartstore.com/stcl.html
until I realized the only worthwhile thing they offer are live streaming classes.

I'm not even quite sure what they are or how they work. They seem to be online workshops, but it seems the material is only accessible for one week out of the year when the actual class partakes.
Unless it is only referring to teacher and student involvement.

So unless I can get an alternate option or a contrary testimony, I'm better off putting all that money solely into books and maybe a couple DVDs.

I've completed a handful of traditional art classes here and there, so I have a decent drawing and painting foundation, and I'll try to go to any life drawing sessions whenever they pop up.
More importantly, I've built up a good working association with local professors, so I have access to some worthwhile feedback.

Any opinions?

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks, that's pretty much what I needed to hear about workshops in general. I'll definitely check out those DVDs and downloadable videos, but I'll probably take this over to the creative resources thread.

I appreciate the concern, but the issue isn't so much time and effort as it is tuition and all my credit hours being tied up with trying to graduate for the next year or so.

There is also the benefit of being able to work at my own pace, at my own hours, since I take extra time to learn things as in-depth as I can.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

I have two questions:
So I'll be graduating after this Fall with an Associate's of Arts before transferring to a university to finish up a 4-year degree (Art and Design specializing in Illustration).
My last semester will consist entirely of elective classes of my choosing, and I have the option of doing classes that will specifically title me to "in the emphasis of Art".
After graduating, I won't be able to take university classes until Fall 2013, so I'll be looking for a job to tide me over. I realize an Associate's of Arts degree is of questionable value, but I'm only looking for something that'll sustain me until I finish up school in a year or so and possibly look good on a resume.

So my first question: will an "emphasis of Art" degree worth having in the short run? Is there really any advantage to it over a regular Associate's?

As of right now, I've been all over the map, dipping into every art medium offered: from print-making to film photography, not being able to cover much more than introductory material.
I could use my last classes sharpening my more marketable skills, i.e. graphic design and painting, or taking classes for university credit if it's offered.

Secondly, with an Associate's in my hand, what should I aim for?
I live in Dallas, TX, and while the job market is mostly in the shitter, there is a burgeoning art and design scene here.
I have uneducated artist friends who are relatively successful making a living hustling art on the local gallery circuits (about 20k annually), so I don't know if I should focus my energy into that.