Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is it harder for foreign people to get jobs in american companies?
I'm a mexican currently studying animation in the U.S. and this has been worrying me for a while, especially because in addition to the "job<-->experience" paradox I can't work under my student visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

^^^^
A few days ago there was a meeting in my college for tor this, and apparently your F-1 visa allows you to stay one additional year if you get an internship in any job related to your field. After that it is up to the company to hire you and get you a work visa.

Even though I know this, I'm still interested in knowing if companies are sometimes dismissive towards foreign students.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

General Ripper posted:

Well, specifically I'm wonderig if my taking art fundamentals at college is a good first step, having no prior training in anything.

Beyond that, for film, Ive gotten myself into a project with someone where we'll both be learning from the ground up, with comics, I've similarly gotten involved with an old high school friend and his (weird anarchist wacko) zine, and animation, well... that's why I'm trying to hone my drawing/general art skills then once I'm competent I'd like to experiment with flash like you say, also stop-motion once I get a new computer. If I end up doing well on any one path I'll maybe stick with that, but at this point nothing is for sure, other than school in september.

In my mind I'm taking the right steps, but I don't know anyone in real life who's into this stuff so I have no guidance beyond you guys. I just want to get on the right track early.

As an animation student, the only advice I can give you if you are not going to enroll in a program is the following:

-Draw as much as you can, and If possible go to life drawing sessions.

-It might be expensive, but getting a light table (or building your own) would help a lot. The problem would be getting the software and hardware to shoot the pictures and see them continuously. I guess you could pull this off with a scanner.

-Get the animator's survival kit. It is an excellent book.

-Another book I like is Disney's the illusion of life because it explains the principles of animation really well and it has a bunch of other stuff like the history of animation and character design among other things.

-Learn anatomy.

-There will be a lot of things that you won't realize are wrong until someone else points them out. Since you won't have a teacher I guess that posting what you do online in an animation forum or something like that is your best bet so you can get feedback.

-Always research before you start. For example, if you are going to animate a horse go watch a lot of horse videos and look at how they move. If it is a human character maybe the research would be acting whatever the action is before committing to paper.

-Making thumbnails before you start can save you a lot of time, as it can give you a rough idea of what it will look like and you can make changes.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Liselle posted:

So, I kind of got talked into doing a calendar print project to raise money for an alumni who has a daughter with cancer. I am at a loss how exactly to put something like that into some sort of portfolio for college acceptance.

Also I am kind of at a loss where to start with a college portfolio in general. Tips? Advice? Horror stories?

Thanks in advance.

Furthermore, I'm interested in a few colleges and would be interested in talking to some students in the art programs offered there.

Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design (Vancouver, BC), University of Washington (Seattle, WA), Pacific Northwest College of Art (Portland, OR), Cornish College of the Arts (Seattle, WA), and Western Washington University (Bellingham, WA).

Are you drawing/painting pictures for the calendar? or are you making the calendar itself?

For my portfolio I needed 10 pictures drawn from life and up to 10 pictures that showed my artistic range. For the first part I got into drawing lessons and made 10 drawings. For the second part I put stuff that I had done when I was eleven to show that I had been doing this for a long time and things that I had done recently with different techniques to show that I could do many things.
I think that the most important thing that you can demonstrate is that you are serious about this, rather than how good you are, because in theory, the reason you go to college is to get good in the first palce.

Also, DON'T PUT ANY MANGA.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm currently going to Digipen and the program is pretty good, and getting better every year with student feedback.
It is a small place, so you might miss the "college experience" if that something that you are looking into. It is also a bit more centered towards video games than other places so I don't know if that's something you might like or not.

Other stuff to consider is that if you want to go to the U.S. I would start looking into taking the SAT or ACT, the TOEFL and making a portfolio, as most places will require something like that.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't know about that, I have seen some horror stories too, but on the other side I have met a few artists from the industry and they all seemed to be happy with what they were doing. I guess it depends a lot on the company that you work for.

IntoTheNihil posted:

Can anyone tell me about concept art and character design for the video game/movie industry? Just how to get on that path and what type of career is possible.
From what I've heard, both of those areas are extremely hard to get into. They don't need too many people doing that and you have to be pretty drat good at it to have a chance.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is it true that it is considered rude/unacceptable to ask how much you will get paid for a job during an interview? Someone told me this was the case, but it sounds ridiculous.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ahhh, thanks. That makes more sense.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I have a few more questions:

I'm currently a senior animation student so in one year I will be finishing my degree.

Is it absolutely necessary to get an internship before anyone will even think about hiring me? Or could I get hired despite my lack of experience if my portfolio is good enough?
I ask this because I'm Mexican and I want to work in the US. With my student Visa I can get a one year extension if I get an internship, but I would much rather straight out get a job if possible (with a new working visa). It seems however that the internship is the safer bet.

That said, would it be a good idea to send both job and internship applications to the companies? Or should I just stick with one of those?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

ceebee posted:

Might as well send both. You'll either get one or none.

Well, or both depending on how well you do at an internship.

Thanks. That's what I'll probably end up doing.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If you submit a good admission portfolio chances are you will get in regardless of your GPA or SAT scores.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

There is still some, mostly for cartoons and flash animations for casual games. It is not as widespread as 3D is now though.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The Good Professor posted:

Check this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't think it sucks, but it is weak. Some pieces are stronger than others, you should start by removing the worst of your work and leaving only the best. Your portfolio is only as good as your worst piece. A portfolio is not a collection of your work, it is a snapshot of you at your best.

Second, keep making stuff and putting your work out there for critique. Your work seems to stop at 2011, and there are only 3 pieces there. What happened to the rest of the year? And where is 2012? Remember that your portfolio should always be in motion. It is never finished, because you are always becoming a better artist, and you should keep updating it to demonstrate that. That said, at some point it has to be good enough to get you a job, so it never hurts to look for work, regardless of what stage it is on. If it doesn't work then it means you need to improve further.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 2, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ok then. Regardless, you should be cranking out finished pictures. 3 pieces that you are happy with over 9 months is a very small amount. A professional will be working 8 hours a day, if not more. Assuming you have other things to do and can't devote that much time to it, at least you can strive for it.

Edit: I would get rid of the Anakin, as well as the photoshop one, it is too photoshoppy. If I recall correctly from your previous iteration, it said it was your first attempt at PS, and it shows. Probably get rid of the colored Conan as well. Overall, your strongest stuff is the ink. You need to work on your coloring.

Also, now that you removed the sections, I would make it jump straight to your work, rather than having to click a button.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 2, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

How do you have a TN visa without a job? I am currently in the US (although I'm from Mexico so maybe that's different) and I had to get a job offer before I could get the TN.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, ok. So first you need to get a job offer. I think for Canadians it is different than for Mexicans, but in my case I had to take the job offer to the Embassy along with a bunch of other papers and I got my visa like a week later. You should check the process online.
From the getting the job offer standpoint, I guess that's up to you. You could get a visitor visa beforehand (If Canadians need one, IDK) just in case you need to go to interviews or meet with people. That's what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

redjenova posted:

...anyone?

As it stands, for games, there's nothing in your portfolio that demonstrates that. If you want to do game animation you need to have a lot of cycles, attacks, jumps and stuff like that. If you want to do concept art, like you said, you need to work on that. 3D modeling? A bunch of models. You get the idea.

I think that you reel right now would have a better chance at getting you a job in advertisement, or possibly in film. But I don't really know much about those industries so this is just a guess.

I like your motion graphics, that's good stuff. I'm not so sure about those shots with the TV noise. It looks like you just pasted a video and put a filter on top. The animation on the AT parts isn't very strong either, it looks too much like it's tweened. I assume it IS tweened, but you want to make it look like it's not. Especially on the shot with Jake bouncing. Oh, and there is one extra frame at the end of that shot when it changes scene.