Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

BabyArm posted:

We, the fun folks at Fossil (yes, the watch co.) are looking for interns to join our happy family.

----------------
Position Summary
Fossil Graphic Design & Web Design Internships - at Fossil's award-winning design studio! Fossil, a leader in the design, marketing and distribution of fashion watches, apparel, leather goods and eyewear has opportunities for full-time and/or part-time graphic design & web design internships for the fall semester in our headquarters in NE Richardson, Texas USA. You must be currently working on, or have a Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Visual Arts or related field. Our paid internship program will offer you hands-on experience in a fast paced, in-house environment. Our design studio of over 100+ creative people will provide you an enriched internship experience.

Fossil is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.

Requirements

SKILLS & EXPERIENCE: Internship candidates are encouraged to apply if able to meet the following requirements:

* Working knowledge of graphic design principles and possess both artistic and technical skills
* Knowledge in Adobe programs on a Mac platform.
* Web experience a plus, but not required
* The ability to effectively balance multiple projects and meet tight deadlines
* Strong communication skills
* The ability to work well with others and as part of a team
* The ability to follow direction well
* Currently working on or have a Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Visual Arts or related field.

Portfolio required at time of interview. We prefer interns who would be available for full days at least 2-3 days per week up to full time, 5 days a week. We are willing to work with school schedules. Please e-mail resume including samples of your work to Lori Massey at Lorim(at)fossil.com, and apply online at https://www.fossil.com. Please indicate your availability in your correspondence. No phone calls please. We will be accepting resumes through mid-November. VERY IMPORTANT-Please put your name in the subject area of your e-mail. Thank you!
----------------

I'll be happy to answer any questions not covered in the listing.

Does Fossil have any full-time openings available that are not internships? I am looking to go to Dallas after I graduate (I'm from Oklahoma City) so any info you can give me would be awesome.

Same, I was looking at your website, could you point me in the direction to where you got that floating menu or a place that has directions on how to make one? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

I graduated in May and I am currently on the job hunt, i had 5 really good interviews with a big company in a city near me (still waiting to hear back) and ive emailed a few other big ad agencies in the same city. The place that I had 5 interviews with i dont think is going to hire me, i havent heard anything in 3 weeks and yes ive called to check up on the process. Is that a normal amount of time to wait, what should I do now?

I have also emailed 5 local companies friday and im waiting to hear back, a couple of them do really good work and the others are so so. Earlier somebody said your first few jobs are going to suck, I understand that because I am the new guy and I have to learn everything. If I end up working at a place that does so so work, how much will that effect me when I try to get a better job in a few years?

I dont want to have a professional portfolio of bad work, but do most places understand that it was a first job and know that you arent doing the greatest work?

I want to get a job, but I am not going to rush it because I would like to get the best job I can and not just take whatever gets offered first.

Ive shown my portfolio to a lot of people at a big design conference, and had 5 interviews with that big company, so I am comfortable showing my work. I think I have a good variety of stuff in my portfolio, show a lot of styles, and I know my typography is good. Is there any other advice anybody can give about searching for the first job?

Thanks for any help

(hopefully all of that makes sense, its 2 am and im tired. if it needs clarification please let me know)

PunkRockTuba fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 27, 2008

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

j4on posted:

One thing that you need to understand is that most companies don't care about "effort" or "potential". Unlike schools, which try to compensate for bad circumstances, companies just hire the guy who they think will make them the most money.

That said, it's certainly better to work than not work, and there's no reason that a bad shop should limit your own potential--worst case, you can easily do your own stuff on the side, pro bono for good causes if you have to.

Thanks for the advice, I'm about to start freelancing so that should (hopefully) give me some decent work. I'm hoping to start getting some interviews with companies as well, I'm trying to be a little picky but not too picky about the first job. I need some experience on my resume before I can land a good one.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

I've had some bad luck in the past as far as jobs are concerned. My first job was at a very small ad agency, 8 people worked there, and I was 1 of 2 designers. Well the economy really went to poo poo and there wasn't a lot of work coming in and they had to let me go. It sucked, but I understood and I moved on.

My second job was in house production/design for a major craft store. I didn't want to do production, but I thought it would be a good thing for me so I could really get some good practice at learning the programs and give me more experience. I was there for 10 months before I was let go, my team leader had been telling our office manager a lot of things that were completely untrue about me and my work habbits and the office manager decided to never talk to me about anything that was happening until the day I was let go. That was a nice good morning.

Now here I am with some major decisions to make. I live in Oklahoma which isn't exactly a hotbed of graphic design. Because of that, most of the agencies and design studios here are extremely small, anywhere from 8-20 people and since they are small, they don't hire too often. That isn't good news for me.

One of my friends works for Wieden+Kennedy in Portland, OR and is trying to find out some info about hirings they are about to start. I've also been looking at other places in Dallas, Colorado, and even here in Oklahoma. I've also strongly been considering applying at the VCU Brandcenter for grad school in Art Direction.

I'm looking for advice on what veterans of the industry would think the smart decision would be in the world today. I appreciate anything anybody has to offer and sorry for posting so many :words:.

Long story short: I got hosed over at my last job, there are few to no opportunities where I live. I'm looking elsewhere, but also thinking about going to grad school.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

redjenova posted:

I'm no veteran, but I'm a graphic design student in Oklahoma, and (obviously) a lot of emphasis is beaten into us about internships/jobs. Even internships are a bit hard to come by, although if you were looking to be unpaid it'd be easy to find one. I think your best chance to look outside the state if you want to advance your career, especially considering Oklahoma really is not the best place for any art or design career. I'd say look pretty much anywhere else you can; the opportunities are much better out-of-state. Since I'm just an undergrad myself, I can't say anything about grad school, though. Good luck!

There are a few really stand out places here, but they are so small they hardly ever hire. I've been looking primarily out of state, and I think that really is the best bet to find a good job.

Where are you going to school?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm just wondering why would you even stay in Oklahoma. I'm going crazy in Kentucky, but at least there are things like lakes and forests to play in.

I just like Oklahoma, I was born here and there are a few decent small places, but as I'm growing to see there's not much here.

Prylex3 posted:

What about Austin or Houston? Those are not terribly far away. When I hear about various cities having great creative and art environments, those seem to be the two names that come up in Texas.

I've thought about Austin, a girl from my school moved there and hasn't found anything so I've been a little hesitant to try there.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

viragosa posted:

I really don't want to get torn up, as I'm not immediately looking for a critique (instead, an answer), but my book is at https://www.erikadecker.com and my Behance with more recent work is https://www.be.net/erikadecker. I do a lot of editorial work, but I'd like to broaden the spectrum of what I can do.

I've heard conflicting views about the worthiness of a résumé, specifically from professors and a few of my previous employers. I'll have to keep asking around.

EDIT: and to clarify, I'm being offered the internship, not deciding whether or not to apply for one.

double edit: But it's unpaid, and four days a week for three months. But I'll actually be working under someone.

Do you want to work there? If you want to work there, this internship would be a really good way to get your foot in the door for a job when it's finished.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Woof! Woof! posted:

Someone applied today with their resume hidden in a pizza they delivered us.

That's pretty awesome, and the amount of text on that resume is equally as great.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

redjenova posted:

Whoops, missed this. I'm at OU and really loving it. Definitely looking to get out of the state come graduation though!

Oh awesome, I went to OU as well. It's a fun time, enjoy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

RizieN posted:

gently caress OU I will never step foot in Athens again. However, if you manage to stay out of trouble, I suppose enjoy the poo poo out of it. While it lasts anyway.

I think we're talking about two different OU's. Ours is the University of Oklahoma.