Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dvermast
Jul 25, 2007

#1 Fan of Canadian Beaver

General Ripper posted:

I'm looking to get into animation, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the schools in and around Toronto? I'm specifically interested in traditional animation and stop-motion, if possible. As far as I can tell, Sheridan's the only one that does stop-motion.

I have three cousins that went to Sheridan College, and they say it's the best choice for animation, and it's a four-year bachelor program. Seneca also has an animation program, which sounds good in its description, though I don't really have much interest in computer animation. And this weekend at the comic convention I was handed a flyer for Max the Mutt Animation School, and it looks pretty decent as well.

One advantage I see for Seneca, and possibly Max the Mutt, is that it would be cheaper than a 4-year program at Sheridan. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other schools or which of these three programs is the best? I tried googling and all I found were dozens of computer animation and gaming schools, but no regular animation. I also don't want to have to move much farther than Toronto, and I live in Waterloo right now.

Ripper, I graduated from St. Clair college back in 2003 from their Tradigital Animation program and would have to say, unless it has sharpened up STAY AWAY! Although I was the first graduating class, i found that we weren't given an accurate description of what the job market was like. There were a few talented people to graduate but for the most part, the people that I've stayed in touch with, are struggling financially and emotionally. As far as schools, IMO there really isn't a better school in Canada for animation than Sheridan. It is quite tough to get in, but if your good, then giver....I can say I know much about their program, but after I graduated i spent some time in San Francisco. I ran into a few 3D artists and explained, I'd graduated from an animation program in Canada. Most of their first questions were, "oh Sheridan?" That to me says alot in regards to their recognizability in the industry.
If animation is something you truly desire, I would suggest going full bore into trying to get into Sheridan. The business isn't always as glamorous as one would hope starting out. With that said working at Dreamworks would be pretty drat cool. I believe that they have a pre-animation course that would be a stepping stone into the program that you could attend. I hope that helps?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU