Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mansurus
Aug 7, 2007

by The Finn
I would love to attend school for photography. Right now i'm in a community college, just coasting through for my two year degree.

Growing up in Savannah, Georgia, i've always had a fondness for Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). I've grown up around it, i love the city, and i've heard many awesome things about the school and how it's one of the best in the nation. One thing that worries me is their "foundation studies" requirement. I have little desire or talent in regards to any art other than photography. How big of a deal is this, and should it make me dismiss the notion of seriously considering the school? Also, how good is the school objectively? How does it stand against others in the nation? Should i hold it up to some pedestal and ignore other options?

Also, a complication has recently come about. I'm interested in this girl, who lives in Pennsylvania. I'm considering moving there to pursue a relationship, but i would only do so if i found a school that would help me and teach me what i want to know. Are there many good schools for photography in Pennsylvania? Where? Are they as good as SCAD? Would it be wise to give up the dream of SCAD for a school there? Do schools really matter, and would i suffer any if i did not go for something near the best? I would consider giving her up for my education.

Any online resources about photography schools in the United States would also be a big help to me.

If it matters: I'm interested mainly in documentary photography and fine-art photography. Although, i may also consider photojournalism.

Thanks.

Mansurus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mansurus
Aug 7, 2007

by The Finn
I'm looking to study photography somewhere in Pennsylvania, ideally within a couple of hours of Wilkes-Barre. I was especially considering Philadelphia - as i hear there are tons of schools and a great art community there.

I'm interested mainly in documentary and fine-art photography, although photojournalism would interest me as well.

I have no idea about what schools are there, and what kind of programs are offered. I've searched online, but nothing beats personal accounts. The Art Institutes seem to offer so many different courses, but i have a major bias against chain schools, and they seem kinda shady (on par with e-learning perhaps). I also glanced over University of the Arts, Antonelli institute, as well as a few others.

Any personal opinions or advice would be awesome, thanks.

Mansurus
Aug 7, 2007

by The Finn
What is the general consensus on the Art Institutes? How good are their schools? I'm looking to go into photography, and there's a campus where i'm looking to move (Philadelphia).

I'm a bit biased against chain schools; they just seem really shady and greedy, and i've heard that employers don't look highly upon it. However, they do have the largest number of courses for photography of all the schools i've checked into.

Mansurus
Aug 7, 2007

by The Finn
I'm really interested in applying to the University of the Arts, in Philadelphia. Ideally, i'd like to attend in the Fall 2008 semester - but i've procrastinated. Is it too late?

I'm set to obtain my AA at the end of the summer, and i would like to leave her as soon as possible. I'd prefer not to wait until the Spring semester, but is that my best option?

Also, i'm somewhat worried about the portfolio requirements. I'd like to say i'm talented and well-rounded when it comes to photography - but i have absolutely no skill or experience with any other artform. I noticed Uarts requires at least two mediums in their portfolio, and recommends three. What should i do? How badly will this impact me?

Before my interest in Uarts i was looking into Pennsylvania College of Art and Design. Their program seemed good, and they were a little cheaper than most private art schools (14.4k). However, they required drawing in their portfolios, and are awaiting a second review from me. Also, they seemed really small - and the Lancaster area seems a bit dead as far as opportunities go.

Mainly, i would just like to be within two hours of Wilkes-barre. Those two schools are the ones i've been focusing on so far.

So - if anyone has any wise words concerned University of the Arts, Pennsylvania College of Art and Design, or portfolio requirements - i'd be eternally grateful.

Mansurus
Aug 7, 2007

by The Finn
I just moved to the Wilkes-barre / Scranton, PA area - and to put it kindly, this place is dead. I would love to start getting serious about photography (and plan to apply to schools for the fall). However, i'm not quite sure where to start and what it proper etiquette.

Ideally i'd like to start working as an assistant to any sort of photographer. I've seen online a few studios and working photographers - and i've thought about calling to see if they need an assistant (i wouldn't mind starting free either). However, i'm not sure if this is proper, or if making visits to the studios would be more / less so. Would emailing them be better? How would i know if a photographer even would need an assistant?

I've worked as an assistant to a photographer shooting interior design for about 5 months, and i've worked as a photography lab assistant at a college for about 6 months (i have my AA from there).

I know a fair bit, and have a lot of passion - but i still lack what i think are enough skills and equipment to start freelancing on my own.

I've also applied to a mall portrait studio, but there are only a few in the area and i'd much rather work in the field with experienced photographers.