Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octagon N
Aug 21, 2007
Well hey there goons.
So, if possible, I'd like some advice from people who may have been in my predicament, or haven't and think they can help anyways. I graduated a year ago with a general BA in Visual Arts, with a personal focus on animation and digital art. I know my way around Maya, Photoshop, Painter, and Illustrator fairly well, and have aspirations of going into 3D animation or design (character, environment, what have you) for animation.

After I graduated I moved back to my hometown (DC) to figure out exactly what I wanted to do, and to theoretically build my portfolio up (which hasn't really happened due to general retardation/laziness on my part), got a job only tangentially related to my ideal field at best (print/design), but am now feeling the pull to get going and REALIZE MY DREAMS.

My plan at this point is to move out of DC to somewhere I can get some kind of job related to what I want to do in order to get a little more experience/contacts before going to grad school for animation/design. I'd ideally go to Chicago for personal reasons, but am otherwise open to almost anywhere.

So I guess my main questions are: What are some good cities to start (somewhat) fresh in animation work/study? Is Chicago a decent city for opportunities, or am I fooling myself? I know it's got a few animation/game studios, and some good general art schools, but I'm still in the middle of my research and don't know a whole lot. Any advice is much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octagon N
Aug 21, 2007
Hey guys, first time posting here. Basically, my story is I have a BA (for Visual Arts), and recently got a certificate for 3D animation (a year-long program). Since then, I've been doing a little freelance artwork, some 3D modeling and animating, but nothing near big.

If anyone has any tips, for either finding sustaining work on freelance, or any ideas of where to look for full-time 3D jobs in the DC/MD/VA area...it's just frustrating since everywhere is looking for just a little more experience.

By the way, my website's here. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about HTML yet (although I am brushing up on Flash), so the website's basically made with iWeb.