Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

same posted:

I came out of school with 15k in debt going to University of Idaho Art program.

I am doing just fine. It is not the college you go to, but how good you are and the natural talent you posses and how good the teachers are that push you. Honestly the people that do well are most of the time are not the ones that go to a fancy university (although there are few that help) but the ones that know how to learn on their own and push themselves. And honestly, natural talent plays a huge part. If you do not have the artistic blood in you somewhat, you probably won't do well no matter how hard you try. The best graphic designers usually are the ones that have had great talent in other fields, like drawing, architecture etc.

I agree with this. It doesn't matter which school you go to, if you do enough skull studies your skulls will look amazing, if you do enough gesture drawings your gestures will look amazing. If you hands are crap, draw more hands! At the end of the day you can be drawing as good as any artist regardless of your school, just so long as you 1) practice endlessly, 2) practice the right things. I know lots of amazing artists who don't even major in art, but they spend 3 or so hours a day drawing in between their economics lectures/study/parties and because they spend it on the right things ( figure drawings/ anatomy / lightning / composition / etc) they do better than some of the art majors who just draw cartoons all day.

The nice thing about art is that you're very much judged on your ability, not your school. If you graduate with a businesss degree from harvard you can get into many places that a graduate with the same degree from some unknown uni can't. If you graduate with an art degree and apply for say, a concept artist job, they'll say "your degree is from that ivy league? yeah ok whatever.. Can I see your portfolio"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

IntoTheNihil posted:

Can anyone tell me about concept art and character design for the video game/movie industry? Just how to get on that path and what type of career is possible.

There are lots of fine arts graduates every year who you are competiting with, you really do need an incredibly high level of ability to get a 2D art job. Alot of the time company have far fewer concept artists than other 3D or animation artists as concept artists arent creating any shippable game assets (apart from texture artists).

As an example the artist who did those teamfortress 2 valentines was interviewed by vavle for a concept artist position but was deemed to not be good enough yet. You would have to be better than art then them to stand a chance at getting a job at a place like valve or any other top studio.

I wouldnt be suprised if there were 100-200 fine arts graduates for every job directly related to producing 2D art. Compared to say accounting its just a job where the economy simply doesnt have that many jobs for, so you are competiting against the best of the best to get a job in it.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm still working on a portfolio re-design, but in the meantime I think I may have lucked out and am scheduled for a third-level face-to-face interview with a web company. The job is for a vector artist, which is something I happen to actually be quite good at.

My advice for your portfolio is that your hippobird is probaly your strongest piece, your life drawing in the bottom right is quite good, the enviroment has good perspective but it looks unfinished espically the arch in the middle. The modelling design mock up is decent.

I would recommend removing all the other pieces not mentioned above, work on the enviroment and try to focus on the lighting and make sure its clear where the light source is and the level of detail is consitent between areas a similar distance away from the viewpoint. Make a few more vector art pieces to the quality of the hippobird one and put up a few more quality life drawings. Try experimenting with shadows with a strong blue or green color tinge compared to the base color (but still darker and less saturated) to reflect a character outside with blue reflected skylight in their shadows, or lots of green reflected light in the shadows from plants/grass.

If you are doing cel shaded or similar work understanding lighting/color/saturation is one of the best skills you can work on developing, this is a good tutorial if you haven't read it already:

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm