Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm having a pretty big dilemma right now and I'm looking for all sorts of advice. Might as well try here.

Years ago I tried going to college to get a degree in Marine Biology which didn't work out at all. Despite really wanting to work in that field I don't feel I'm cut out for it. With no clear direction, I dropped out of college and decided to instead try building up some work experience just taking any job I could get at home. That's all well and good, but I do want to do something with my life that I actually enjoy. So I'm turning to the one other thing I really have a passion for; art.

I always wanted to be an artist but around High School I dismissed it as an unrealistic fantasy and stopped pursuing it. I thought that even if you put in the time and got a good education in an Art field, it was no guarantee of any sort of job. A risky career field that is unlikely to go well. I have no idea how much truth there really is to that; its based pretty much on second-hand accounts of the starving artist. I definitely feel like I have the motivation to learn and succeed in college art courses, but what's the point in doing them if it won't actually lead to a job?

I guess I'm trying to quantify the value of an art degree in the modern job market. Right now I'm looking at taking community college courses while working part-time. The college I'm planning on attending has a lot of art programs but I need to know if pursuing them would even go anywhere. Obviously I'm gonna try and learn more from the college itself but I figure it couldn't hurt to see if anyone here has relevant input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well part of this process was going to be figuring out what exactly I wanted to do in art. I have no illusions about ever being able to be one of those people that can draw whatever they want and have people fork over thousands of dollars for it. I also didn't expect any job to be enjoyable most of the time. Its just that getting an art education and relevant experience would also help me improve my art as a hobby. So even if I didn't enjoy the actual work I would at least be building up skills that help me create drawings I do like, so there would be satisfaction.

Your point about most of the work being contract based is really important though. It makes sense and its something I foolishly hadn't considered. I don't think that would fit into the kind of life I have and my current needs. Its probably better to just keep this as a hobby and pursue a more stable career, even if I have no idea what that would be at the moment.

Thanks for the help everyone.