Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Maybe someone wiser than me can offer some career advice, cause I'm going nuts here.

So I got my BFA in graphic design almost exactly a year ago, before that I'd been doing design work as a junior designer and/or intern and since then I've been doing contract gigs varying from okay to cartoonishly terrible. Overall though I've got about 2.5 years of agency experience, plus all the skills you'd expect from a designer.
Naturally, finding work has been hard to impossible, I typically don't get past the "submitted an application" portion of the interview process and it's not for lack of trying.
I guess my question is: Do I suck??? Am I too green? How do you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Everything I've done worth showing is on my website, I know at the very least I'm about to pack up and move everything to wordpress to have more control over the web design.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I tend to go for positions at marketing agencies, designer positions that list 1-3 years experience. I figure places like that would probably have more print/branding jobs come in, but I'm pretty adept at web design, though I've only ever done two websites for one client (One I just did the graphics, and the other I did the graphics and code but they decided to shift gears out of nowhere and the second site was never finished). Are projects done or completed purely for my own amusement considered "School" projects?