Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One piece of resume advice I'd give people is to have decent-looking Word and ASCII versions of your resume handy. A lot of bigger companies require one or the other for their HR systems.

If anyone has questions specific to UI design I can probably answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pikacheney posted:

My design career recently took a turn towards UI design, which is something completely new to me. I realize this is a broad question, but what are some good resources for learning the basics? I've read "Don't Make Me Think" and enjoyed it but felt a lot of it was already obvious to me from my regular web design experience.

Secondly, what skill set should I be looking to develop? I'm fluent in XHTML/CSS but not JS. Should that be my next target?

Lastly, I also work in San Francisco as a designer. Are there any SF specific design resources you're familiar with? Conferences, groups, libraries, etc.? This question may not make much sense but I feel kind of isolated in my design career so far.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry it took so long to get back to this.

UI design is weird because there's 2 main ways into it: HCI or organically. In my experience you'll find that academic HCI people have a lot of knowledge and usually an easier time getting work but have difficulty adapting to the realities of product development.

The resources for learning are pretty spread out. There's the aforementioned HCI education. There's classes from places like Cooper. There's a million books on the subject. What I think is important is figuring out what works for you. I, for example, hate personas. I've had to use them and I can but I'd rather not. A lot of people love them though and they work for them.

I personally have learned the most about UI design by being a conscious user of software and websites. I bookmark or write down things that I see that I think are good so that I can refer to them later. When I'm using a new site or application I do a few 30-second "squint tests" and "what would I fix here?" thought exercises. Sometimes I just play with their widgts and try to break them. The good thing about UI design is that we use interfaces all day. You can learn just as much from a bad interface as a good one, sometimes more.

In my opinion a lot of the design challenges either boil down to common sense and/or brute force and the biggest challenges are convincing people that your design is the right way to go and then communicating it clearly to the people who are going to build it so that it works right. Learning to document well is critical.

BayCHI is probably the most popular industry group but the IxDA has a chapter here too. Professional associations aren't really my thing though, for some reason every event/F2F I've been to has sucked. If you're trying to get started it might be useful to check that stuff out though.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 3, 2008

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One fun thought exercise to do while designing your portfolio [not directed at anyone in particular]:

Imagine a design manager who's going over a bunch of emails during his lunch break. There were 120 new responses to their craigslist ad in the last 24 hours and they need to find someone ASAP. Cover letters are skimmed for school or company names, resumes are skipped and the URL is clicked. The design manager had budgeted exactly 10 seconds of "figure it out time" and if they can't find portfolio pieces the tab is closed, the email deleted, another bite of salad is taken and the next email is skimmed.

There is a time and place for subtlety and cleverness in design. Portfolio design is typically not it. You should design such that someone could conceivably look at your best work and skim your resume in 30 seconds or less. Maybe a minute if your work is really that good. Every second someone has to spend figuring out your navigation, hunting for a link to your resume or resizing their browser window back to its original size is a second you're not getting your message across.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CoffeeIsForClosers posted:

Any current or former students of the Academy of Arts University in San Francisco here? I'm thinking of enrolling in the fall and focusing on illustration, if anyone has any experiences or insights they would be much appreciated.

Just the usual for-profit, rejects nobody art school warning, make sure you're getting your money's worth when state colleges offer similar programs for a fraction of the price.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One thing to think about when you're considering schools is that no matter how good your training is it's just a few months for one class. If you're going to be a designer or photographer for 20 years your college education is a tiny part of your "training". I've been doing design for half my life and I'm still learning all the time.

I'm 100% self-taught. I definitely think that not having an art/design degree was a bit of a hindrance earlier in my career but nobody's asked me much about college in an interview in like 5 years.

If the school is going to inspire the hell out of you and help you kick a lot of rear end that's awesome and an expensive private school might be an OK idea. Just remember that you can get a BFA from a state school and then spend 2 years interning and honing your skills for the same price. I've seen a lot of uninspired, lazy portfolios from schools like AI or Academy of Art.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I use 2 cheapo Itoya portfolios, one tabloid and one letter size. For web stuff I feel it's as or more important to show in-process pieces, design documentation and the like for each project than it is to show the final "money shots". If you're doing mailers or anything that folds it's nice to have loose ones you can hand people.

I've heard a lot of discussion around physical portfolios and the general consensus is to not get too fancy. Nobody's going to complain if you have individually mounted and centered pieces but nobody's going to give you a job because you have one of those $400 ones made out of old road signs. Not that those aren't totally bitchin'.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

Ok, I have an issue, and I would the advice of my fellow peers.

I graduated in December, and I got a job 2 months later, working for a Print shop in my town.

Yesterday, my boss told me that everything I learned in school was crap, and to just design whatever he says, basically breaking every rule that I had ever learned.

We get no business, but I am constantly riled on for not working fast enough or hard enough, which is odd to me, because we barely have any work.

What the hell do I do? I know that he is wrong, or else places like Pentagram, AIGA, or people like Sagmeister, David Carson, etc, would be poor. Its just confusing, I guess. Anyone else have these kinds of issues?
Your first several jobs will suck. Just do the best work you can and get used to cranking stuff out as fast as possible. If anything look at it as training for dealing with irrational clients.

There is definitely a gap between academic design and what happens in the real world but crap is crap. Focus on improving so you can get a better job in the future.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you do photos on contract that is probably work for hire. My limited photo-specific understanding is that the company that pays use has exclusive rights to use of the images regardless of format. I don't think there's anything preventing you from keeping copies for personal use as long as it's strictly that. You should ask specifically about using them in your portfolio but most places are OK with that in my experience barring NDAs [I have to scrub a lot of the work I do].

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 28, 2008

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I Are Internet posted:

Question is, how do I get around this? I feel some of my best work is done within the company that I'm with since I don't have much extra time to do freelance. Same, your portfolio is stocked with tons of awesome stuff and a few of my designer friends in NYC have their work for Visa, Nike, Coca Cola, etc. in theirs.

Should I tempt fate with my past employers?
Is this stuff internal to the companies like intranet apps or what? If it's an ad or public website you can use it in your portfolio all you want. If you're nervous you can "scrub" your pieces and blank out or blur any things you think people might object to. Even blur out the logo or brand names if need be. You could even bring an NDA to an interview if you think you might need to.

Designers gotta eat too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I only bring a printed portfolio because if something can go wrong with your laptop during a job interview, it will.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Diamond Back posted:

So what are some good schools for graphic design? Preferably ones that focus on the tech aspect of it?
What do you mean the tech aspect? The "tech" is honestly pretty basic and also it will probably change 10 times during your career. What's worth paying for are good professors who will really help you understand design.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maybe he's asking you for a contract?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Don't worry about knowing programs, at that stage of your career the best things you can be are organized, motivated, reliable and able to talk about design. A lot of people are hesitant to hire newbies because they have a tendency to burn out or be flakes in their first real job. A lot of places do contract to hire now so make sure you're registered at the agencies like Filter and Visuals [there's more but I forgot them]. Those temp jobs can pile up into a decent living and amount of experience.

Also don't just respond to postings, post your resume. Make it keyword-friendly so it'll hit a lot of searches.

KittenofDoom: Your portfolio is an illustration/photo portfolio, not a design one.

Kne.Li.: she thinks you'd be frustrated with the limited scope of the position and she's probably right. But you could still convince her to take you on if you want but what all hiring managers want to avoid is bringing someone in and then having to do it again a short time later.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The "this portfolio" page is a little too meta for me. Also the inside margin beneath the page numbers is uneven between pages and is kind of distracting.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's really important that you have everything on your portfolio. I get a lot of hits to my website from google searches of people looking for resumes. I wouldn't worry about it sending the wrong message because most designers have online portfolios whether or not they're working.

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm not sure why, but sometimes when I load your page the first tab for "Ehouse" doesn't pop open all the way. It fixes itself when I click back from another tab, but it shows up weird the first time.
Yeah me too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KittenofDoom posted:

Aside from being able to list my address in the Bay Area on my applications, would I gain any kind of additional knowledge or benefits from living there?
Not really there's just more jobs here. I think if you tell places that you're planning to relocate they'll probably be OK with it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey nothing wrong with a psych BA. I've done all right with one. Whether or not you end up going back to school there's a LOT you can teach yourself at home.

I just got a recruiter hit for a full-time UI/web design position at a startup in San Mateo, CA that's intended for a junior designer, with say 1-2 years of experience. If anyone is qualified and interested please let me know by PM or email me qirexlol at mac dot com. If you've never done any design before please don't bother.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zurich posted:

Can someone take a look at my CV? I just redesigned it (again), still not entirely happy with the copywriting at least (but I'd prefer it to be human than formal)

Click here for the full 595x842 image.

Kind of gimmicky to me, some blurbs about what you did for all of these clients are probably a lot more interesting to employers than your education or a lot of whitespace. Layout-wise your horizontal and vertical spacing are pretty disjointed. Kill the yellow text. It's unreadable on screen and will probably print out green.

I'm confused by the fact that you're going to get an honors BA in 2011?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KittenofDoom posted:

They're a staffing agency. It doesn't necessarily mean they're not worth applying with, though.

Speaking of which, I'm looking up online job seeking resources. There seem to be a few specifically geared towards designers, but aside from Craigslist, Monster, and Creativeheads, can someone recommend a few more?
I got a lot of quality contacts from dice last time I was looking for work, it was mostly from outside recruiters though. I also got a lot of Indian VoIP recruiters wanting me for a 60 day gig in Sarasota, FL for $20/hour so just be patient.

Also see if you can find your resume using a google search for relevant terms and your city. I still get a fair number of hits to my resume from Google.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Prylex3 posted:

Right now my online portfolio is built so it can easily be viewed on a 13" Macbook. Do you guys think this is a waste? Internships are far and few so I am trying to cater to everyone. But at the same time I do not want everything to be so small on a larger monitor.

a 13" Macbook is 1370 wide which is pretty big to begin with. If you're really concerned make the layout stretch but I wouldn't bother since text can be really awkward to read when it gets really wide. I'd imagine a really good design company would probably look at your layout at several sizes to see what happens. Hell, they might even look at it on a phone.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Being a non-profit does not change your rights to use other people's images. There's probably licenses that specify that it's OK for not-for-profit use but that's it and commercial images are still commercial images.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been getting a lot of recruiter hits for UI deisgners in the SF Bay Area lately, most of them are for senior positions but it might be worth it to get your resume into the hands of some of these recruiters. PM or email me if you're interested.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Some general things I like to see in portfolios:

Some explanation. Talk about the problem/brief and how you addressed and solved the challenges involved. Maybe mention the scope of the audience.

Show the process. Show early/developmental versions of things to illustrate the process of getting to the end goal.

Show context. For branding add pictures of ads/business cards/signage/t-shirts if you can. For web design try to show different kinds of pages that show off the system you developed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hackuma posted:

Is it true that it is considered rude/unacceptable to ask how much you will get paid for a job during an interview? Someone told me this was the case, but it sounds ridiculous.
Salary negotiations are like a game of chicken, nobody wants to say a number first because there's probably a $15-20k "salary band" for any given position. If you ask most places will respond with "we're competitive" or something equally vague until they're ready to make an offer. Some places will lowball on their first offer too. I used to have little patience for this and as a result probably left a pile of money on the table over the course of my career. It's a delicate negotiation so just be careful what you say but also don't sell yourself short.

The best advice I could give is to do some research and find out what people in the kinds of positions you're looking at are actually getting paid. Also make sure you're happy with your base salary as bonus plans, raises, equity, profit sharing, etc. are nice but they can always change or go away.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KittenofDoom posted:

How do I a) put myself in a better position to succeed in this job interview and b) ensure I don't get sucked into something unpleasant?
a) Do as much research as you can about not just their products but also any others that are similar or they compete with. Be prepared to talk about Flash a lot.

b) Ask questions about the company, how they work, what their development and release schedule is like, who all the people involved in the production process are, etc. If they're a startup it's OK to ask about their funding situation and revenue model. Be honest about what you want out of the position besides money.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gently caress agencies, stay inside if you can. I think at this point "agency experience" is code for "doesn't balk at working 12 hours a day with no overtime". I've worked at agencies and inside of companies and there's no topical knowledge differences and any kind of process stuff you could pick up in a week so that leaves stupid hours, substance abuse and backstabbing co-workers as the primary differentiators.

qirex fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 10, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zurich posted:

Money is cool but when she asks me to take images from Google or directly from competitors I don’t know what to say.
As far as competitor's sites that's a big no-no. I mean it's all a big no-no but the competitor's sites thing is the most likely to result in a lawsuit. Just find some very cheap stuff and offer it as an alternative.

It's easy to say "refuse to do it" but we all gotta eat.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

All creative fields are incredibly competitive. The good news is that most of the people you're competing against aren't very good and if you work really hard at improving your work and work habits you'll have a leg up. Nobody gets paid to just relax and screw around with fun software all day though.

Learning graphic design will help your animation work and learning more about animation will help your design work. At some point you're going to have to figure out what you like best and pursue it specifically but you're still young so don't sweat it too much just yet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stoneb posted:

I do not want to teach, but I do want to be the absolute best I can at what I do, which I think grad school will be a huge part of. The graphic design program at my school is honestly pretty weak and I'm hoping to fill in the gaps with an MFA.
More school will not make you a better designer, getting out there and hustling and doing real projects will. There's no part of the academic environment that could possibly substitute for working experience. If you're not paying for it and you want to chill out for a couple years that's fine but don't be surprised when, MFA in hand you get passed over for people with no formal training but a portfolio of actual commercial work.

magnificent7 posted:

Oh look! Somebody's not made it to management yet.
Management just means you don't have time to design anything but still have to do it anyway. The real world isn't Dilbert.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KittenofDoom posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Academy of Art University in San Francisco? I was planning on taking a few courses to improve my sorry design skills, build up my portfolio, and make a few Bay Area contacts. I'm more interested in expanding my practical knowledge than getting another design degree.

How much are courses there, and are they any good? How's their job placement program?
I won't post my usual rant but it's incredibly expensive and I've never heard anything good about their job placement program.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

What's the best way to keep in touch with an interviewer?

LinkedIn?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ceebee posted:

my first term was taught by people who are still in the industry.
This shouldn't be something that convinces you to go somewhere, it generally means that they don't pay the teachers very well [true of AAU as well]. Not to say that it says anything about the quality of staff but it's not necessarily a plus.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 7, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Job fairs are totally useless for designers. Get your portfolio online and use the power of the internet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Put your resume in HTML on your site as well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RiceTaco posted:

Only positive thing I can think of is that their office is pretty cool. So... are all design agencies are like this? If it is... god drat, I'm switching careers or sticking in-house.
The agency environment is not for some people. I am one of those people and have never regretted it for a second.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Saw this on Core77

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Replace the Comic Sans with Akzidenz Grotesk and you're on the way to fame and fortune.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Onox posted:

Any opinions on this school?
It's incredibly expensive and most people in San Francisco will hate you because the school is taking over the city and most of your classmates are spoiled douchebags.

Seriously though, you can learn a lot there if you work hard but if it will ultimately be worth the money is hard to say. Maybe do some math here. I can say that the city is full of AAU grads trying to figure out how they're going to make that $800 monthly loan payment.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Onox posted:

I don't think a lot of students are wanting to do quite what I am.

I hear that most of the school is students who think they want to do art until they get into it and fine art students.
No, it's not just that. Every segment of every creative industry is inundated with potential entry-level employees and even if you're the best at what you do you're going to be making crap money for a few years so think long and hard if $30k+ a year for After Effects classes is really worth it in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey dude, I'd forgotten your forums username but it's good to hear you're still in the game.

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the people working and making hiring decisions in the kinds of jobs you want don't have an educational background in this stuff. There's still a few industries [notably advertising] where you should have gone to art school but most of this stuff didn't exist 10-15 years ago. I know 3 people who do effects work on feature films. One is a physics dropout, one has a traditional animation degree and one went to UCLA film school.

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of anything but any instruction would just be a step and not an end result. When hiring managers look at portfolios or demo reels what they're looking for is a level beyond what you can get in a classroom that shows serious personal initiative and passion for the craft. If you think classroom instruction will help you get that faster then go for it, just don't think that passing a class or program is the end result. It just will equip you better to do it yourself.

edit: Also don't think that it will improve your starting wages at all, that's the big dilemma. It's way easier to work for peanuts for a couple years if you don't have a giant loan payment hanging over you.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 2, 2010