Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds

Doredrin posted:

How exactly is someone supposed to get their first job when literally every single job requires at least 3 years of experience? Is that just a standard line that is more of a suggestion, or are companies really particular about that?

Corporate communications takes literally anyone without experience. I got my job editing for a company and I had no external work experience other than random things I'd do on Youtube (and they sucked compared to things I do now.)

It's soul-sucking, though. I'm looking to get out because working on at least 2-3 videos a day (with over 20 backlogged) and getting bitched at by my boss who does nothing other than accept work orders for me isn't quite what I want out of this full-time nightmare. I'm trying to freelance as soon as I can get enough clients outside of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds
Alright, I need some advice because I went down the rabbit hole and now I have to fight my way back up.

I've worked on demo reels for previous years in corporate/small business but this year I decided to make one centered on esports since I've been doing it on my free time for the past 3 years. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing, nor do I have any idea what people are looking for. Case-in-point here:

https://vimeo.com/212394255

At first I was like, "Yeah... YEAH. This looks good," and now I'm like "Why have you burdened the Earth with this..." Sure, I have a demo reel for interviews and the like for when I show my corporate clients (and potentially this industry as well), but when it comes to showcasing this kind of gaming/graphics work... I'm a bit lost. I do have connections, but right now I'm hesitant to directly show anyone.

Anyone have any insight for this kind of work? Any thoughts on how I could potentially re-work this if it needs a rework?

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds

Anony Mouse posted:

First impressions, totally raw because I'm drunkposting:
The intro and outro are goofy as gently caress. I mean, text flying in and out of place screams After Effects preset.

I agree, it needs more work and looks tacky as hell. I'll get to work on something that takes more of my time.

Anony Mouse posted:

Starting at ~00:42 I couldn't tell exactly what you were responsible for. Did you animate the character models from 00:44 to 00:54? If not, then it's a bit pointless to have in your reel because that's not your work. If you did, then maybe there's a way to make that more explicit although I can't tell you exactly what that might be. Nothing else in the reel is animated like that so it stood out.

Would it help to have like... lower thirds on sections to explain stuff? I did everything with the 3D animations aside from modeling them myself.

Anony Mouse posted:

gently caress I sound like an rear end in a top hat don't I. Hmm. Well I guess the impression I get is that you've been doing YouTube channel intros. I think maybe you don't need to show the full footage for every piece you've done, except for the particularly good ones, like maybe Virtus.pro and Nerd St Gamers. Everything else can be cut down to show only the sexiest parts, like 00:54 to 00:59. The whole thing would actually be improved by being 30 seconds shorter.

I hope any of that helps, if not feel free to punch me. If nothing else ditch/rethink the intro/outro.

Nah it definitely is helping, I'm used to doing live-action demo reels for editing, this area is completely new to me. I'll keep these in mind and go back to the drawing board.

gmc9987 posted:

The ice effect and fire effect on the virtus.pro logo was confusing to me - are the two logo variations what you are shocasing in this emo reel, or did you create the fire and ice motion graphics treatment for a client and THAT is what you are showcasing here? if the former, consider changing the ice, as it suffers from the same preset problem as your intro/outro.

I'm showcasing the entirety of the animation (it's based on a looping GIF I made a while back.) Everything was done by hand aside from the actual logo design itself (3D work, ice effect, fire, etc.) I just don't know how to be like "hey, this is what I did" without blatantly pointing out everything for each clip.

gmc9987 posted:

I can't tell exactly what you're showcasing here. Are you responsible for the logo design, the motion graphics, the t-shirt designs, or what? Why do you have a clip of T-shirts just sliding into place? If you're showcasing the motion graphics you did, that section is really unimpressive. If you're showcasing the t-shirt designs, they're too small to see and also not that interesting to look at. There's also a lot of direct capture footage of a game where there's not much evidence of your involvement, I would stick to the shots where you integrated text or other graphical elements into the footage.

Noted. The T-shirt section sucked. The capture footage was animated, but I suppose I should stick to motion graphics only for this.

gmc9987 posted:

Overall the general feeling I walk away with is confusion. I don't know exactly what you're responsible for creating in each project, and aside from Fragadelphia I don't know which clients you worked for or the scope of your involvement on a project.

That's the feeling I felt the entire time. I went into it like "man I just gotta throw everything I did into this", but it makes zero sense to me. I wanted to showcase everything from 2D work to 3D work, onto things like element particles and character animation. I suppose I'll cut it to like... 30 seconds and only highlight a specific area (like motion graphics or something.)

I appreciate both your feedback. I'll get back to work later today. :)

Rusty Bodega fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 12, 2017

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds
So this is a weird piece of advice to ask, but here it goes:

I just had 3 rounds of an interview for a Content Producer position. The first round was an interview with 3 different people (Director, Manager, and VP of digital media) and it went really well. It felt really personable and I managed to secure a second interview with someone who would be on my team and the CEO of the company (it's a small PR firm.) Second interview went well since they were just getting to know me and my skills (which I fit to a T in the description.) Third round was a little different: they asked me to take their logo and animate it, and for what it was, I think I did a really good job (good enough to put in the beginning of my demo reel.)

So now here comes the dilemma: I was told a few days after I submitted it (last Thursday) that early this week they'd be deciding on who they hire. Am I getting over anxious thinking about it right now? Should I send an e-mail at the end of the day asking about the process? I understand they have jobs to do on top of selecting someone, but the silence is killing me (especially after 3 rounds...) I typically overthink the hell out of these things, especially for jobs that I'm really interested in.

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds

kedo posted:

I'd say email them, let them know you're really interested in the job, and thank them for keeping you up to date. There's no real need at this point to dig any deeper into their "process." It sounds like you are indeed getting a little overly anxious. If anything you could ask them when they expect to reach a decision, but I wouldn't pry any more than that.

Cool beans.

I'll wait towards the end of day and send them a quick e-mail. I don't want to pull the trigger too fast, but I want to see where they stand since the timeline was early this week.