Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

PrivRyan posted:

I'm in a bit of a stint.

I know what I want to do now, which is computer engineering, but I'm a bit discouraged thinking maybe this career is way out of my reach.
I'm in community college right now trying to get my basics in, but I'm wondering if my grades will be good enough to be accepted for an engineering program at some university. I'm definitely not stupid, as my grades are usually top in my class for whatever subject.

What do you guys think I should do?
I'm not really knowledgeable about this stuff, so I was wondering if I should retake ACTs or something to try to go for a higher grade so maybe I'd have a better chance at getting accepted.

You can check your state if they have any transfer programs from CC to a 4 yr school, those are usually guaranteed admission if you fit the criteria. This usually involves getting the 2 year degree from the CC first but this will save you money so its not a bad thing. Just make sure the courses you take will transfer and you are gold. ACT scores shouldn't matter as much if you are transferring from CC as well. Also maybe consider talking to some college advisors for schools you'd be interested in, they'd probably give you better individualized feedback to your situation.

As far as classes go, if you are comfortable with math and like physics/hardware you should be fine. Take a circuits course or Digital Design and/or Equivalent and see how that feels if you are nervous about the material.

Honestly if you do the work, make use of the resources available at the school, including classmates for study groups and the like and that'll make any academic hurdles much easier but I have a feeling you'll do fine if you are the kind of student to be top of the class in other subjects.

Also just remember, for any engineering discipline, Internships and Personal Projects are what gets you the job when you graduate, worth more than GPA(Within reason) or anything else. Go to career fairs, find school clubs or communities online, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ScaryJen posted:

I'm looking to build a skill set as opposed to getting a degree, but I've never really gotten any formal art education before now. Would the advanced art classes offered from a university be worth it? There's actually a few sculpture/metalsmithing/glass and other fine art studios that offer classes in my area, so I'm wondering if that might be a better route? Has anyone here gotten a fine arts degree who can weigh in?

Honestly, quality of education in a college depends almost entirely on the professors you get. Whether the class is advanced or for beginners, a good teacher will be be able to help you develop your skills. Whether a course is 100 or 300 level is pretty much completely irrelevant as far as Art is concerned. The other major consideration would be access to facilities for jewelry/sculpture/metal/etc work. The 4 year schools will probably have better facilities ( Don't assume this, go and check out the facilities in person if you can) but that doesn't mean the 2 year schools don't also have good facilities or that the facilities are worth 3-5 times the price.

Basically I would check out all of the 2 and 4 year schools in your area and kinda scope things out. Also find out who teaches the disciplines you want to learn and find their portfolios. If their work isn't impressive to you, then find someone who does work you like. You'll be much more likely to find someone who will teach you the skills you need if you do this. Word of mouth is also good, while in art classes ask about other instructors/programs/schools and get a feel for things.

To give an example, over here the nearest 4 year school has a pretty blah art department reputation wise, but excellent facilities for printmaking and sculpture. Some of the CC's in the area however have teachers that have trained under people like Burne Hogarth and produce really stellar work, etc. So in my case, there is no pressing reason to want the 4 year art program for drawing/painting when I can get better training for cheaper. However if I wanted to do sculpture instead, then the 4 year school becomes more attractive because they have the best metalworking facilities in the area. Your situation could be very different, and you won't know it unless you go and get the info on the schools and teachers.

Make sure if you do go for the more expensive school, that you actually get something worth your money. You can also investigate online resources and other avenues for developing the skillsets you need. Other resources plus CC might be better than just throwing more money at a 4 year school. Also 4 year schools do offer other degrees which you could combine with the art in a dual major (Computer Science, Business, etc) that could help you find a job later and is a route worth considering.

Also if funds allow, take more fundamental classes than the degree requires. For instance, a 2 year drawing degree here has life drawing as an elective, and it only counts once. But that is something you'd want to take all four semesters if possible, etc. Or if you don't want the extra expense, train on your own through other resources because a lot of the 2 year degrees (and 4 year for that matter) will do a crappy job of building you a skill set if you just take them bare bones, unfortunately.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 27, 2014

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ScaryJen posted:

I am just starting to try all of these things at once, though. Am I really spreading myself too thin? Mostly, I just see stuff in my head and want to make it happen.

What about Atelier schools? We have a few around here that run about what community college costs in tuition, and you can go either part time or full time. I found one in particular that has some illustrators I'm familiar with and whose work I like. Has anyone tried an intensive program like that, under a master? Or is it pretty close to other life drawing and painting classes?

If you know what you want, then do it. It is definitely possible to do both illustration and jewelry at the same time. Speaking from personal experience, just understand that you will probably not have any free time while in school if you go for two different disciplines at once though. Not if you want to get sufficiently good at your craft to actually get a job. But if you love the work then imo it's absolutely worth it in the long run.

You are setting yourself up for the future you imagine for yourself, and only you can determine what that should be. Hell most of the best artists that I know tend to have their hands in multiple pots, and I wouldn't be surprised if the general art knowledge from developing illustration skills positively impacts your jewelry making. Sculpture at least benefits greatly from a good foundation in 2D skills.

As far as Atelier's go, I've heard good things about them but I've never attended classes at one. I guess I would treat that just like any other school, if the teachers are good and the cost is reasonable compared to other options then it might be worth a try. Though it sounds like you are doing everything right and doing plenty of research and networking, so I imagine whatever option you choose, you'll be fine.

Profondo Rosso posted:

hi.

How dumb would it be to switch to the school of communications at my college/another school and pursue a pipe dream of working in film? I don't know how wise "follow your dreams!" is vs a dependable/well paid career in something I don't care about.

I seriously doubt your only options are, follow your dreams and be poor, or have a soul-crushing job and not be homeless. There has to be some sort of reasonable compromise somewhere.

I don't know the film industry but I wonder if there are any niche jobs that might have a higher demand or require additional skill sets that would set you apart from the competition. For instance, to use an art example, some artists can get a pay raise (and usually a higher demand for their services) by learning digital tools and pipelines, code,etc and becoming technical artists which is a specialized field. Mind you, technical artists do things like maintaining art tools and writing plug ins for Maya, etc and don't make art on the job usually, but it would be a way to still make a living related to art if you were afraid to go for a more traditional art job.

Does the film industry have anything similar where you can use your STEM background to your advantage but still have a film related career? If not, maybe there is another STEM field (maybe something to do with optics or visual processing?) that would be more interesting to you than the one you are studying. There are a lot of well paying jobs in many kinds of fields, it doesn't seem like you should have to settle for one that bores you.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nessa posted:

And when I think about things like that, I wonder if it might be best to drop out of the idea of having any sort of creative career. Maybe I'm just not meant to be good at that sort of thing. Maybe I'll just never be good enough to compete for jobs like that. Maybe I'm meant to be a secretary who secretly doodles when no one is watching. How many years of dedication would it take for me to become competent at art? I only have a couple of years left before it's time for me to start a family.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm going to talk to a college registrar tomorrow and maybe see about getting some career counselling. Thank you for the advice, as it's helped me think about what I really need to do to solve my problem.

If color is your greatest strength and illustration and comics are a no go for right now, then yeah you should definitely at least look into either graphics design or web dev as a possible option.

I think if you can learn to script in something like HTML 5 or Jscript and pair that with a good color sense you should be pretty good at web dev and there is a fair amount of money to be had in the field if you are good. You can still work on illustration and comic stuff on the side until you are good enough to make a living at that if you so choose. Hell you might be able to animate some stuff for websites and get animation practice if that's your cup of tea.

Since it's clearly important to you I wouldn't give that up for something you clearly dislike. Just be open-minded about all the jobs out there, and find the one that is the closest to what you want to do that you are able to get in a reasonable time frame. That is where talking to an adviser (or several advisers) is helpful. They might know of a job that fits a lot of your criteria that you never even thought of.

Also for design work in particular you don't necessarily need a class for these things (unless you thrive in a structured environment, then go for it). There are a lot of resources on the web that are very good. The important thing is if you do graphic design, do some mock ups every day, if you do web stuff, build a web site every day, etc. That's how you get good at it.

And yeah it can be difficult to get into creative work and art in general is loving hard too. But if you know that's what you love then don't give up on it. Age and a family life do not mean you have to stop doing art. It's the frustration from the struggle that might get you if anything. I'm not sure your self imposed deadline to get good at your dream job is helping you out in that respect if it's causing you so much stress that you just want to quit outright.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
If we are still recommending books, this is a classic that gets mentioned quite a bit:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fear-Obse...ds=art+and+fear

It's less a how to, and more a book for dealing with the hurdles and hang ups that many artists often face. This is probably not be a book she needs right now, but one that might be good for freshman year at an art school or something like that. It's a pretty comforting book with great advice overall.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Anony Mouse posted:

Finally, there are a ton of great community colleges in and around Seattle, such that you could easily attend one no matter where you settle down. They're all virtually identical as far as I know, in fact they all have transfer agreements with each other and UW so that almost every single class transfers into every other school and vice versa. I went to Seattle Central Community College for a few quarters and the classes were just fine and UW accepted the credits without hesitation.

Last bit of advice: if you end up deciding to move to Seattle for school, do so sooner rather than later. Out-of-state tuition rates are crazy high compared to in-state rates, and it takes a full year living in Washington without going to school to establish bona-fide residency. What I ended up doing was moving to Seattle, chilled for a year working an easy job to pay the bills, and then got into UW as a Washington state resident. Tuition was way less, and I got such generous financial aid that you wouldn't even believe.

PM me if you want more info!

One thing I'd add if you are planning to take a few community college courses, if you live in an area with multiple schools like Seattle, that means you have multiple instructors available to teach you and lots more choice. Take advantage of that. Look potential instructors up, check out their portfolios. Ask around in art communities or at schools about instructors and what their classes are like,etc. Instructors have different skill levels, different styles of teaching (and often times different styles of art that they might push you towards which isn't always a bad thing) and it's best to find someone who will help you with your particular goals.

Travel time is a factor but a really good instructor is worth a longer drive and a bit more hassle if you can manage it. Because getting good instruction is really helpful, and if you hunt around enough you can usually find instructors who are on par (and sometimes even better) than the ones at the four year school.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 19, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shinneh posted:

I want to be a filmmaker, but im going to take a degree in computer science so i can pay the bills while i try to make it, should i just quit com sci completely and go all in on film?

Well first off, do you like Computer Science at all? I know you plan for it to be temporary but if you had to make a career out of it, would you enjoy the work or be miserable? Also how passionate are you about film, and have you studied the industry ways to get in it and all the kinds of jobs, etc?

There might be a way for you to use the computer science to benefit your filmmaking, such as making plug-ins for software or pipeline tools (that's also a pretty lucrative skillset especially if you are good at designing stuff for 3D tools). Nice thing about programming is that it is pretty useful for a lot of fields though you wouldn't necessarily be making films.

As far as pursuing art and engineering at the same time goes, I've done it (with visual Art, not film making) and I can tell you that doing so is going to take all of your time if you want to be any good at either. There's no substitute for hours of practice for either discipline and just putting the time in. So if you are okay with that and have a high passion for both fields then it's probably worth doing both? If you don't have any passion for computer science at all though then it might be worth investigating a different fallback.

Whether or not you should plan a fallback I dont know for filmmaking. For 2D art painting/illustration its a pretty risky move. It takes a long time to build up skills and a long time to be out there and build up enough recognition to make a livable wage and even then it's probably more money to teach. If filmmaking is similar then you should keep that stuff in mind. But if you know you want to do film making more than anything else in the world it might be worth the risks.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shinneh posted:

I have been studying and working on films for the better part of 5 years, I can go on about film form and the industry for awhile, and just got into com sci recently. I really enjoyed math & technology in school and often did it when i get burnt out on films. I would enjoy doing it, but i definitely would be miserable if i never became a filmmaker.

Thats actually a great idea that im going to look into, people always reccomend VFX which i hate, but plug ins for software migth actually be something i like.

I do love programming alot, and one of the reasons im not so up for a film degree is that, com sci is very systematic and can be done at almost anytime, filmmaking requires time and inspiration, i dont like being forced to make something i dont want to make (getting paid is the exception of course). I definitely would spend alot of time on film, but i dont want any pressure if i take a day off to clear my head, know what i mean?

I do know what i want to do and have studied how alot of people in that position got there (studio directing). I dont really look as com sci as a fallback (well sorta), but more of something that can get me good money while i work on film, because like i said, id be pretty depressed if im not making films when im older. Also there is the issue of visas, Im from Dubai and currently I live in Singapore, Dubai has some sort of industry and Signapore has none at all, America is obviously the place for film and regular film jobs arent really something in need of foreigners, its very competitive, com sci however is a large market that is only now being tapped into.

If it weren't for the visa, I'd say ditch the computer science degree. As you said, A computer science degree ought to make obtaining one of those much easier since there is a shortage of software engineers in the US. The government (and HR departments) tend to put a bit of value on a degree even while the software engineers who will actually be hiring you won't care nearly as much about it. They just want to know that your problem solving skills aren't terrible, that you can code and that you are a good culture fit for the team/company. Don't get me wrong, the degree is not a bad thing to have if you wanted to make a career out of it but it really is a distraction if your main goal is studio directing. It's possible to get a programming job without a degree but if your work visa requires it, then you probably don't have much choice.

As far as programming goes, the people who do plug in work, are called technical artists, and there a few communities out there where you might be able to get some information from like tech-artists.org . Open source software is also a pretty valuable learning opportunity. Stuff like Maya will have open source counterparts like blender and it's nice to be able to work with other programmers. Some of those developers can even make good mentors for you. It also helps you get used to working on large systems with lots of moving parts. You probably will have no idea what you are doing when you get started, but that's normal and expected. What's important is having the motivation to self teach yourself and be able to work out problems as they come up.

School work has some value but it's going to be your personal projects, internships and major projects that are going to make or break you in this field. Doing your school work plus the extra work you need to do to make it in the field is going to take a lot of time and that's time you can't spend filmmaking. So keep in mind that this route will probably lead you to many sleepless nights if you are going to do film stuff too. On the plus side, colleges often have industry connections and if one of those connections happen to be an international company with offices in California then that could work out very well for you.

You know what you can handle more than anyone but I just don't want to undersell how much work this will be. Don't forget to take care of yourself either, sleep and eating regular meals is really important too.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ijyt posted:

Is there any advice for someone in their late 20s that took far too long to realise what they want to do in life and now have to try and self study art while working?

I've been working full time and I found it almost impossible to study along side that, I'm taking a 50% pay cut and going part-time to give myself more time to study. I'm just worried about making up lost time and standing out in an industry that seems to be having more and more freakishly talented 18 year olds.

What are your goals specifically? Do you want a 9-5 art job at an office or do you want to freelance. Also what kind of art do you want to create? Graphic design, illustration, comics, animation, fine art, concept art, etc.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 27, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ijyt posted:

I got banned and forgot to reply, but I've gone part-time at my current job because my bosses are great and understanding, so I'm currently hopping between Schoolism, Scott Robertson and Proko videos, about 4 hours a day + weekends. In terms of what art, :shrug:. It's too early for me to know what I want, but I think creature design might be fun, animation too.

Well the reason I ask you about what you want to do is because once you develop your skills, you are going to eventually have to market them. Marketing and building up an audience can take as long as building up your skills did so make sure not to neglect preparing for that step. For example, In comics they like to say it takes 10 years to build up an audience enough that you can make a career out of it (note this is after you have good skills). But if you are shipping your skills to some company then you don't have to worry about that as much. But either way, make sure to read up on whatever particular side of the industry you want in and find out the best ways to build yourself up to that point that you can get in.

If you want to do creature design, I'd definitely look at Aaron Blaise's material. Hes not bad for an animator either. I know Schoolism has a course designed by Terryl Whitlatch so you'll definitely have access to that at least. If you have the money for it, Glenn Vilppu teaches life drawing with a focus on gesture and rhythm and he would be a good person to study under if you wanted to build towards animation. Though he's a legend in general, so he's good to learn from even if you don't care for animation. Also consider looking into illustration, since it looks like you are focusing on 2d stuff (with your choice of learning sources) that might be an easier avenue than 2d animation, there are certainly a lot more work there with advertising, children's books, storyboards for 2d and 3d films, etc etc.

Like you don't have to decide now for sure, but do try to narrow a direction. Think about what you'd really like to create and what kind of things you enjoy the most. Art jobs are hard across the board, but can be rewarding if you find one that is a good fit for you.

Also another thing that is really important. Find a community of people who want to do the same thing that you want to do. I don't care where, but find one somewhere. That's your support network and it's a really helpful thing to have as an artist.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
If you need more examples of work you can always do your own mock ups too. Just do it for a fake brand/company that you made up. I know some people will also pick well known brands to do mock ups of but that seems like it could be a bit iffy legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dreadwroth posted:

Any thoughts on Klein Artist Works? Just wondering what the consensus was on them, I wouldn't mind having more tools to maybe be doing art fulltime.

I'm not familiar with him but I'm not sure how up to date this person is with the gallery scene when he's been out of it for 13 years. (his gallery has been closed since 2004) Some of the artists in his expert panel are well established artists but It's also not clear how much access/interaction you'd get with them beyond maybe something pre-recorded. He also wants 1000 dollars for 10 webinars which is pretty steep. I don't even know why they have so many museum curators in their expert list because museums typically don't buy work from unestablished artists and an established artist isn't going to need his webinar. Networking there wouldn't be nearly as valuable as it would be with local galleries, art agents and the like.

Imo, you'd learn a lot more by buying a few books (to cover basic art marketing knowledge which is probably what you'll mostly get out of those seminars anyways) and then go and participate in art events in your own area. Go to gallery openings, art walks, meet n greets. Talk to artists, gallery owners, agents and just make connections and gain info over time. It helps just to be present and active in your local scene and that people know you. Make business cards and a professional looking website to show your work (relatively a pretty small investment and the bare minimum to get started). Also if you don't have an art facebook, instagram and twitter, make them, but don't use any social media website as your primary portfolio site that you show to professionals.

If you want to spend money on a class, try your local CC, most art departments will have some form of art marketing class and some of them can be quite good. Also there's a wealth of information on the internet including plenty of free videos and there's even stuff like an art director blog on tumblr where they will directly answer your questions for you for free.

Also while checking out his social media presence (it's pretty abysmal which isn't a good sign), I found an article about him ragging on a fellow gallery owner in order to promote his own school, which makes sense because burning bridges in your local community is an excellent tactic in business: https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/art-maven-paul-klein-fingers-ann-nathan/Content?oid=6726028

Don't give this guy your money.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 28, 2017