Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pikacheney
Mar 14, 2002

I shall remember this moment: the silence, the twilight, the bowl of strawberries, the bowl of Xoo, and that chubby, chubby choona.

qirex posted:

One piece of resume advice I'd give people is to have decent-looking Word and ASCII versions of your resume handy. A lot of bigger companies require one or the other for their HR systems.

If anyone has questions specific to UI design I can probably answer them.

My design career recently took a turn towards UI design, which is something completely new to me. I realize this is a broad question, but what are some good resources for learning the basics? I've read "Don't Make Me Think" and enjoyed it but felt a lot of it was already obvious to me from my regular web design experience.

Secondly, what skill set should I be looking to develop? I'm fluent in XHTML/CSS but not JS. Should that be my next target?

Lastly, I also work in San Francisco as a designer. Are there any SF specific design resources you're familiar with? Conferences, groups, libraries, etc.? This question may not make much sense but I feel kind of isolated in my design career so far.

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pikacheney
Mar 14, 2002

I shall remember this moment: the silence, the twilight, the bowl of strawberries, the bowl of Xoo, and that chubby, chubby choona.
I just left my web design job to pursue consultancy. Anyone have any experience doing this? I'm wondering what the most effective way is to find new clients. I've got the next few months set up on referrals but I'm thinking I probably shouldn't rely on that forever. I scanned craigslist (I'm in San Francisco so it's basically used by everyone for everything) and the people posting in the creative services sections are people who charge $300 for a website and their portfolio is World of Warcraft guild sites.

Second, I'm a front end designer. I'm learning jQuery and Rails but I'm wondering if Flash and ActionScript would be a better focus. Any opinions?

pikacheney
Mar 14, 2002

"[chavez posted:

"]
Have you considered freelancing for agencies? Especially in the bay area, there are a lot of agencies you can probably get on with as a freelancer. Personally I've found it pretty disappointing trying to work with non-agency clients, I've had a few good clients but working with agencies is better, you'll get a lot of variety, it's probably better for your portfolio, and they know how much things cost, and are less likely to balk at your prices. At least that's been my experience.

I've considered it, definitely. But the few people I know who've worked through agencies are split in opposite directions about how good they are. Some say great, some say miserable. I have no idea what to think really. Your points in favor are good ones though.