Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Edit: See New Post.

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Edit: See new post.

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 14, 2008

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Okay, so my life has just undergone a major upheaval and I need some advice.

I'm 24, living in New York City, making the most of my English Literature degree. Unfortunately, my consultancy just let me know that my assignment with my insurance firm has ended on account of market pressures (i.e. good references).

After two years of working as a corporate cog, I'm starting to realize how badly I've always wanted to work in design and film and am considering going back to school for relevant coursework.

I'm originally from Charlotte, NC and I'm trying to figure out where to study Visual Effects, Graphic Design, or Web Design. From a cost-to-quality perspective, should I look at Parsons, SVA, or Pratt in New York, or should I leave and attend SCAD or someplace even further out?

I'm very talented and hard-working and I know no matter where I go, I will work as hard as I can to make the most of my degree and learn as much as I can.

One other question: I've never had any debt before. How do you folks living with student debt manage to cope with it in your respective creative careers after school?

Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

I'm currently working in editorial in higher education textbooks and I'm considering making the jump to fiction editing. I'm very drawn to creative writing and the creative side of any business and I have a few contacts, but I fear that the jump to fiction will mean (A) less money and (B) the eventual loss of my job.

I work in NYC and have over four years of office experience (1 year of finance, 6 months of technical writing, 6 months of video production, 2 years of editorial). In my spare time I perform comedy and pursue illustration, filmmaking, and graphic design.

I know I'm basically asking everyone to predict the future, but should I stay on track for this job in fiction, or should I consider going it alone in new media and trying to integrate all of my assorted talents/interests? The current state of the job market makes me really afraid to move or try anything different.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

At this rate, I'm not really sure where this post belongs, but I figured I should ask all the CC folks.

I'm currently working as a textbook editorial coordinator, but I'm pretty much chomping at the bit to move away from traditional media. The only four things I grew up interested in doing were comedy acting, fiction writing/screenwriting, filmmaking, and cartooning. I'm 26 now and I'm in NYC, considering a move to LA. I originally moved to New York because that was where the live comedy and the publishing industries were, but now I'm ready to move on.

I've got about four years of work experience with internships in production at the Onion News Network and an editorial internship with Virgin Comics to boot and experience as a cartoonist for my school newspaper. I also have a few friends in the business encouraging me to go out there when I can.

Does anyone here live and work in LA right now? In light of the economy and the current state of California, would it be a wise idea to move there after another six or eight months? Also, at my age, would it be wiser to teach myself the art fundamentals I missed in my English degree and take sporadic classes or go back to graduate school for a full degree?

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Slashie posted:

Questions and answers.

Thanks for taking the time to give me such a long and thoughtful answer. I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to offer some advice, so I kept my reply pretty brief on purpose. But, for detail, here goes:

I originally moved to New York to see if I could make it work as a writer/editor and to make contacts with other editors and writers (and because I wasn't ready to go so far West as soon as I graduated college).

In college, I wrote a pretty decent (according to my professor) feature-length screenplay and did a bunch of PA work for my professor and students on their academic short films.

About eight or nine months into my New York life, I finally took a break from my first job (in finance) to train at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in improv and sketch comedy. I did pretty well in all of my classes, but so far I've been unable to put out a regular bunch of shows due to a busy work schedule. Also, getting on one of the famous "Harold Teams" here at the theatre is pretty hard to do if you've got a 9 to 5 and you can't spend a lot of time or money at the training center honing your craft.

To compensate, I started an indie improv troupe two years ago and we play shows all around Manhattan and at various improv festivals and universities in the Eastern part of the country. A lot of folks love us and it's been an amazing ride so far.

I managed to get background, speaking, and starring bits in online web videos through my friends at College Humor and ESPN Magazine. I recently did a bit for Atom.com and another friend is promising me a major role in an independent, 30-minute comedy pilot he and a friend are producing for sale. I'm pretty stoked about that, even though I've been running on empty sleep-wise to make it all work out.

I have a few friends out in LA who are doing really great things. My friend who's still in school for directing just took a meeting at ICM and my other actor friend is filming a a series that recently got picked up for a full run after a successful pilot.

My other connections are through my university's alumni program. I recently connected several of them to College Humor and some Comedy Central intern coordinators and I think they would help me out if I managed to get out to LA. I don't want to say who, but two of them are development execs at Gran Via and CBS respectively.

When I first got out here, I tried applying to the NBC Page program with no success. This year, I am going to submit a spec script to the ABC Writing Fellowship when application time rolls around.

As for fiction and cartooning, they are both my first loves. I know that I can do them anywhere, but I wanted to see what kind of communities existed for them in Los Angeles. In my ideal completely make-believe existence, I've been working as a story artist and voice-over for Pixar since my graduation from Ringling and I let off steam by doing Funny or Die videos and writing for McSweeney's. Totally realistic, right? :rolleyes:

I guess more than anything else I want to be writing and/or acting for television and film. I felt that living in New York would train me to become better at both of those things so that I could eventually make the jump, but now I feel like I need to go out and make connections before I get any closer to 30.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Slashie posted:

...Man, I never tell people to actually keep their dreams of Hollywood. Feels weird.

Yeah, well, remember what it was like when someone told you you'd never make it. Then imagine how great it feels when you read someone write the opposite.

Thanks so much.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Following on the heels of Oldsrocket_27, would y'all mind taking a look at my resume. I'd like to move laterally from textbook publishing to online publishing/editorial, but I'm not sure that this resume is competitive. Would y'all mind taking a look and giving me a little feedback?

Resume

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Defenestration posted:

This looks like a competitive resume to me (but I am in textbook publishing and have no desire to move to online). If you're looking to do more writing I'd highlight your feature work and awards in that area.

In general you have a lot of good stuff that is getting lost in a wall of text. Change your layout/font so that you get better spacing. Also edit those descriptions down as much as you can and be consistent in your punctuation (periods on the ends of bullets etc)

The toastmasters bit is a nice touch but the sentence is way clunky.

Thanks for this. I'm still pretty clueless about making the shift (or if it's even worth attempting), but I really appreciate the advice.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

zaepg posted:

I just finished my first year at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) as an undergrad with my desires set on working in the animation field. Yet whilst attending there I had a bit of a bubble pop, suddenly not only realizing that the school I was going to really didn't have as much of a focus on the animation department as I hoped they would, but Baltimore isn't really the best place to find a job or intern. Right now I plan on transferring to the School of Visual Arts (SVA) in Manhattan, which, from what I've seen offers a better location and department for animation. My biggest concern is what I might realize while studying at SVA. What will I learn about the industry while attending here? What's further down the road in my career path?

Basically I don't feel I know enough about the animation industry. Anyone with advice or insight on the field would be appreciated.

Just anecdotally speaking, I've read that much of the VFX and animation work that you used to see out in California-based studios is being farmed out to animators in other countries (i.e. Lucasfilm Singapore makes the Cartoon Network Clone Wars series). While I honestly believe that that technical skillset will remain invaluable as the games and film industries continue to grow, it is defnitely worth taking into consideration when you look for work post-graduation.

Also, speaking as a New Yorker, I know a bunch of folks from SVA who really loved their education. For anyone who can make the cut, Blue Sky studios also almost always hires straight from SVA (being founded by SVA grads). One other place to consider might be Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). I've heard from friends that their animation program is really up-and-coming (be wary of the extension school in Georgia though).

New York is a very expensive city (probably the MOST expensive city), so check around and make sure that you are taking every opportunity you can to find scholarship money. Beef up that portfolio for portfolio scholarships. If you fall within a particular minority, you better already be leveraging that for money.

I know this is just an outsider's perspective (read: wannabe's perspective), but I hope it helps.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Ah! Another thing I can help with!

monkeyboydc, I work with a textbook company in NYC as an editorial coordinator. If you can't get with a fiction or trade house, I wholeheartedly recommend starting out in textbooks. It's a lot more boring, but the environment is very stable and it offers plenty of opportunities for sales, marketing, and digital editorial work should you wish to branch out.

Also, the pace of the textbook industry is slow enough that you will definitely have spare time to work on your own manuscript and creative pursuits. However, I would say try to find a mid-to-large publisher as otherwise you run the risk of being overworked in a strained department with fewer hands.

Also, should you have trouble getting an in into fiction or trades (and that's really where you want to be) make sure to go to trade shows, author conventions, and professional group get-togethers to introduce yourself and put your name out there. Opportunities tend to come when you least expect it. I got headhunted by a publishing recruiter in the middle of an improv class, for instance.

Hope that helps.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

How on earth do you even get started looking to get your foot in the door as a film critic? My degree is completely unrelated to writing (though I took a fair amount of English and a few film classes as well in college), but I do my blog on the side and I consider my writing my greatest strength in general. gently caress if I have any idea how to look for a job as a writer in any capacity, though.

You should start doing pitch letters to other popular blogs and propose articles while making sure your stuff is airtight on your own site. That way you can use it as an effective calling card. Take a look at places like CHUD, Cinematical, and the like to see what their submission processes are like.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

So after much hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth, I'm looking to finally form my own freelance editorial business in the state of New York. Is it as simple as printing a business card and starting to look for work or do I need to incorporate myself/get a particular business license? Sorry if this ground has already been covered by other CC folks.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

militarygrade posted:

I like writing. I study BA English Lit at University College London. I write lots of creative stuff, have performed at festivals, have had a job copy writing while living in Berlin. Right now, I'm trying to work out how I can turn my enjoyment of writing into freelance paid work, to remedy the crippling costs of London town.

I am putting together a website that showcases my writing so far, but ANY advice that anyone could give with regards to monetizing my creative medium and turning it into something more that just a hobby.

I would also be interested in knowing other folks' responses to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

I have an education question.

After getting turned down for a lot of visual design work in my field (UX Design) because of a lack of UI chops, I decided to work at getting more graphic and visual design education and training. I'm looking at attending the Shillington School in New York for a 3-month intensive (5 days a week instruction, 8 to 5 PM, 30 finished projects and a portfolio by the end of the program). Has anybody had any experience with this kind of program? I really want foundational training in Graphic Design technique, but I don't want to spend close to 6 figures to get a grad degree. The cost for Shillington tops out at $13K.