Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma

same posted:

6: Web Designer vs Web developer, the real truth.

I would like some more information on this... I've been looking into web design and from what I understand is basically the web designer would actually do the design aethetics/layouts in Photoshop and probably put it together in basic html or Flash. The web developer would be the programmer who would actually put together the site properly using HTML, XHTML, DHTML, CSS, PHP, ASP, mysql, Actionscripts, etc.

Most job listings I see for "web designer" require you to know all these programming languages... basically being both designer and developer. I'm wondering how much code/programming should a designer know? Right now, I only know HTML, xHTML, CSS, and some basic actionscripting in Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma
You can get by with either your current macbook or even a PC laptop. Doesn't really matter as long as you have the programs required (Adobe CS2 or 3 Suite, Quark, etc.).

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma
Anyone ever deal with Creative Circle? They always post a lot on craigslist, monster, careerbuilder, etc. in major cities. Sounds like a typical job placement agency...

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma

marshmallard posted:

I don't know what country you're in, but in England, Creative Circle is an advertising-related company that runs some well-respected awards, produces an annual and does some membership-related stuff that I don't understand even though I'm a member.

Yeah... definitely not the same company. Creative Circle here in the states are based in major US cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, and others. They're basically a job placement agency for creative jobs. Just wondering if anyone dealt with them and their experiences.

RiceTaco fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2009

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma
Nowadays, I see a lot of job posting requiring to just submit a PDF portfolio (3-10 samples depending their request) rather then a link to an online portfolio...

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma
This link has been passed around between my friends (also graphic designers) and me. Pretty much the state of Graphic Design or the creative industry as whole. I pretty much agree with everything said.

http://ronnielebow.blogspot.com/2009/09/we-have-become-cheap-whores.html

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma
Your resume off of your site... needs to be redone. It needs to fit on 1 page. If I try to fit everything on one page to print, it's too small. If I try to print it on multiple pages... that's 3 pages! A HR manager would easily toss out a resume like that without even reading the first line.

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma
So I manage to get a freelance gig at a graphic design studio to gain that all important "agency experience" every job ad seems to demand. Supposedly after 2 weeks, if I fit in with the company I might be offered to stay full time. It's been 3 days so far and I'm already dreading to go in due to possible exploitive work environment. Hell, even if they do offer the job to me, I might just turn them down.

So what are signs of a poorly run studio exploiting poor whiny designers?

Here's what I have encountered so far...

- Art Director that barely does any directing at all.
- They want everything done as quickly as possible. I was given a project (Motion Animation in After Effects). I'd say with the amount of work, with proper planning and resources, it would probably take a team of 2 or 3 to finish in a week. They expect me to finish it in a day, despite me telling them doing this kind of work is tedious and time consuming. They think it looks easy by looking at videos (pretty sure they never dealt with Motion Animation as they mostly deal with print).
- I manage to pull off 30 seconds of animation in about 9 hours, after busting my chops and taking no breaks, I was told to pick up the pace.
- They didn't even have After Effects! I have to work on my MacBook Pro.
- Pretty sure they want me to redo their website in Flash within the 2 weeks. The examples they showed me what they're aiming for is way too complex and advanced for me to do.
- Small studio... about 10 people. I only met half of those people as the other half is up stairs. As far as I know... I'm maybe the 3rd or 4th designer. I'm the only designer that knows anything beyond Photoshop and InDesign.
- Some of their files... using Illustrator to do layouts.
- Helvectica on everything! I know it's the world's most popular font, but using it all the time is just lazy.
- When I interviewed for the job... it went pretty bad as they looked uninterested of what I had to offer. It only lasted 10 minutes! I was surprised they called me back a few days later to do freelance.
- From what I overheard and evidences on the work computer I'm on, they've gone through lots of freelancers (probably with the same agreement of a possible full time job after 2 weeks.)
- I sent my resume to this place 5 months ago and they got back to me this month. Supports my theory that they've just been going through people quickly. Possibility from designers being burned out and/or people quiting?
- They have large quotes plastered all over their offices. Two of the quotes near me are not very inspirational. One basically sums up to don't complain about not having enough time. And the other quotes sums up to don't gently caress up and do it right the first time. Not to mention poor typography on these quotes... They need to work on their kerning and hanging punctuations.

Only positive thing I can think of is that their office is pretty cool. So... are all design agencies are like this? If it is... god drat, I'm switching careers or sticking in-house.

RiceTaco fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 4, 2010

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma

kedo posted:

Short answer is no, that's not what all studios/agencies (whatever you want to call it) are like. Sadly, though, it's what A LOT of them are like.

Here are two case studies for you to look at:

Thanks, I really appreciate your insight on this. Yeah, I plan on leaving the place tomorrow when I get in. I can't deal with them anymore. I keep on thinking, maybe the next project or the next day would get better but it hasn't been the case. They've made a lovely first impression and I doubt it would change. Then I started to think if I was losing my edge/wussing out, but after reading your post and asking my other design friends about the places they work, pretty much come to conclusion that this place just sucks, or what you described, a chop shop. There's just too many red flags at this place.

Your friend's past situations are very similar to what's going on with me especially the whole psychotic of things to get stuff done as fast as possible. After near completion of the motion graphics project. I was asked to code/animate their site in Flash. They asked me how long it would take. Trying to give myself some sort of a buffer (I don't like being rushed, I doubt anyone likes the idea of being rushed), I say 2-3 weeks since I'm not a proficient action scripter. The art director frowns and wants me to do it in one week and asked why would it take any longer because what they're asking for "looks easy." Stuff like that is just a warning of outrageous deadlines promised to clients for a quick turnaround time.

Then one of the higher ups viewed my motion graphics video and wants to make a few changes. I'm thinking, now since the meat and potatoes of the project is done, these changes shouldn't take long. They basically want to re-haul the entire video in a single day. One of the art directors pretty much does the whole, look over my shoulder while I frantically trying to work as quickly as possible doing these changes as they think only takes a few clicks of a button. Then quickly get impatient and frustrated because it's taking so long.

So yeah, I'm probably going to follow your advice and seek out studios in my area that actually have a strong portfolio. The place I'm at now, has a pretty poor portfolio with most of their work (print ads) for clients I have never heard of. They try to brag about having big named clients like the Hilton, or the Lakers, but they only thing they designed are loving do not distrub door knob hangers for them. My friend best described the place...

"An ad agency that's trying to pretend it's an Ad Agency."

RiceTaco fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma

Prylex3 posted:

Cool, thanks for the input. Since my Graphic Design program is pretty much all about print, I have been playing with AE and C4D on my own. I have considered teaching myself, but am curious what I would be missing out on - theory classes, connections, or just honing my skills and knowledge in video/motion.

My school had 2 classes on motion graphics. It was just learning the basics of After Effects and learning the tools and doing tutorials. But it's nice to have someone to help you out if you get stuck or explain how/what does what rather then reading text or following youtube videos. You would be missing out on getting critiqued and ultimately improving your projects. You're more likely to push yourself to actually do good work. Whenever I follow those video tutorials, I usually half rear end it because the end product doesn't really matter because i'm not turning it in for a grade.

But if I wanted to get into that field, I would take more classes since there's a lot to learn and other programs to learn as well.

RiceTaco fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 30, 2010