Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockarocka
Dec 8, 2003

Just a question about the resume example same posted in the original post. I quickly wipped up one that looks fairly similar to the example a few months back when I had a job and was going to school, just for future reference. I now don't go to school and have no job and so decided to bring the resume along to a career advisor / resume checker at uni to see what they say before I start handing it out. Content aside, she seemed to mostly have a big problem with the layout. She mostly said that she didn't quite know where about she was supposed to be looking due to the double columns and that it didn't flow too nicely and also disliked the fact that the headers didn't stand-out from the body text (weren't bold etc.).

In a sense I agree, but simply because it does look different to regular resumes. I can imagine that it may be disconcerting plowing through a bunch of resumes, most that have a fairly standard format, being able to pick out the information you need because they're all essentially the same and then stumbling upon one that mixes it up a bit. But I do agree with most of what same mentions in the OP, I personally like the style and flow of a double column resume and the fact that it does look different to most resumes. Friends and previous colleges mentioned that the one I mocked up did look eye-catching, but the lady that checked it seemed to have a problem with a lot of aspects of it.

I won't specifically be applying for design jobs; I'm currently mostly just looking for anything at all. I figured that maybe it is best to stick with a standard format for standard jobs. I feel more inclined to trust you fine folk here, but this lady just flat out told me to change it. Should I be using a resume like this for non-design jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU