Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Giant
Dec 27, 2003

DOMO ORIGATO
MISTER ROBOTO
This has the makings of a great series of posts. Please continue. I am looking for work in this field. Much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Giant
Dec 27, 2003

DOMO ORIGATO
MISTER ROBOTO
Mr. Tofslie,

I followed your advice in the first post about resume layout. My CV initially looked like one of the word templates (without the boxes, but everything left-flush). My best friend (Mac tech support) and my aunt (Human Resources) help me adjust the contents of the resume so that it would best showcase my graphic art experience in my previous employment. I then used InDesign to recreate your layout and to plug in my data.

I sent this resume to my best friend at her office. She had told a coworker that a friend was looking for graphic arts work, so the coworker asked for a copy of my resume. She called me later to say that her coworker hand-carried my resume into her boss's office. The supervisor also mentioned that it looked very impressive.

If this lands me a job, and they like my portfolio pieces, then I thank you in advance. I will give you credit for the inspiration if anyone asks.

PS: Your website is very impressive.

The Iron Giant fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 29, 2007

The Iron Giant
Dec 27, 2003

DOMO ORIGATO
MISTER ROBOTO
I've had three job interviews last week. Two for IT / Tech Support, and one for pre-press (retouch, color correct). Two out of those three have called me back for a second meeting. One step closer to a job offer! :D

The pre-press company invited me back this morning for a skills assessment in Photoshop. They gave me 2 high-res, press-quality images, and a time limit of three hours.

The first image was a photograph of an SUV driving swiftly through a dead grassy field at sunset. There was a big black steel camera crane visible in the shot, attached to the rear frame of the car. I was told to remove the crane and its shadow.

The second image was a scanned color slide: a celebrity headshot from about 20 years ago. I was asked to improve its appearance with brighter colors in the scene and objects while presenting good flesh tone on the actor's face. The clothing and lighting looked too "flat" and dull, so they wanted some more contrast and visible detail (without retouching the photograph).

At the end of the second project, the file was having trouble saving "because of a program error." Turns out that the original file had disappeared from the server. I had only the temporary copy open and tried to figure out another way to save it. Eventually I got it out using a flattened EPS (PSD and TIFF layered didn't work).

It was very challenging work, but I loved it and was pretty pleased with my results. The manager said that he'd examine my work with the V.P. and let me know within a day or two if they want to hire me.

Hoorj!

The Iron Giant
Dec 27, 2003

DOMO ORIGATO
MISTER ROBOTO
I got a job offer!!! :D :D :D

I'll be starting as a trainee retouching artist for PR1MARY COLOR:

http://www.primarycolor.com/

It's all but official at this point; I just met with the vice president and department manager this morning. The paperwork gets filled out tomorrow and I start Monday! The pay is $18/hr with full health benefits, lots of training, and LOTS of room for growth. And it's 5 minutes from the apartment where my future wife and I will be living together in about 3 weeks.

To same, I thank you for creating this thread.

The Iron Giant
Dec 27, 2003

DOMO ORIGATO
MISTER ROBOTO

ZergCow posted:

so how did you find those companies. I am thinking of starting to look into digital touchup stuff since i have been using photoshop for over 8 years now. my longterm goal is game design or at least work on one major game in my life. But i need a job that i am good at ... i just dont know where to look to get a job as a touchup artist.

I found this job through a friend of a friend of a friend. Yes, networking really does get jobs.

Beanpants posted:

Well, here's my portfolio. I designed it for print, but this is the electronic version. I'm still messing with the content, and would switch out the pieces depending on who I'd be giving it to. I haven't sent it to any perspective jobs just yet, but all my other arts related contacts and friends have loved it so far. It's all just a matter of packaging your work to make it attractive. If you're a designer, think of your portfolio itself as another piece of design. Your portfolio is itself a part of your portfolio.

http://www.floodtown.com/img/portfolio.pdf

Page 15: Commission is misspelled on the back of the card. Otherwise, great portfolio. I loved the section for Blazing Saddles.

If you get a chance, use Adobe Acrobat Professional to create chapters and finagle the page/section numbering so that "Page 05" really does correspond to the 5th page in your portfolio. Right now, page 5 is the 6th page in the document.

The Iron Giant fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 4, 2007