Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

JoeWindetc posted:

Can anyone recommend a good online Master's program in Graphic Design? Thanks all.

What are your intentions with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I had a big ranting response written out but instead I'll just say, make sure you crunch the investment/return numbers. Your sociology/history/philosophy friends don't get the question because they're in fields which traditionally have large gains from a masters program (and all three are near useless for someone with just an undergrad--unlike the GD field).

I've heard good things about : http://online.academyart.edu/degree_certificates/mfa/mfa_graphic_design.html

I took a few classes from their online BFA in GD before I decided the expense wasn't worth it, but the instruction level was good for an online class and the technology side of things was better then most other online learning systems I've tried (which have been numerous). I also know a few people with BFAs who attended there in reality and they're all very solid designers. I don't know anyone who has gotten an MFA in GD so that's about all the help I can give. I asked your intentions to know if you wanted to be an educator, work in fine arts, or work in the GD field. The type of masters program would differ greatly for those three options.

p.s.-I'll also say that I'm someone working in GD without a degree in GD--mine is a B.S. in Art History and Criticism. The six years experience on my resume and my portfolio are looked into a lot more deeply than which words are on my diploma.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Are you referring to commercial galleries, art museums, or commercial art galleries operated by art museums?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
I'm looking for a basic freelance graphic design contract (branding/print) that I can download and modify slightly to fit my needs for a couple of jobs I've picked up recently to supplement my income. Any links/resources are appreciated.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

edgys posted:

Hey there fellow creative goons !

I know this thread is getting full of younguns asking for help, so I'll try and make it quick:

I've been studying graphic design for about 3 years, shooping like crazy, but I don't know much (=anything) about famous artists.
As of now, I'm 20 and studying in order to become a project manager.

Can I still become an Art Director (i.e. web, video games or ads industry), without any kind of art degree/education ? Should I consider studying some more ?
Or should I try to work my way up to that job by starting somewhere lower ?
(as a graphic designer ?)

Thanks !

I find it surprising that your degree program didn't require at least art history 101 and 102, much less history of graphic design. Add some art history to your class schedule--frankly everyone should have a basic understanding of the history of art in any creative field. At my university art history classes were often full of architects, industrial designers, etc.

As to whether you can get work, I can't speak to that other then to say very, very few people start out at art/creative director. You'll have to work up from the bottom like everyone else. Top-tier jobs aren't just handed out to recent graduates since so much of the industry is about your portfolio, not your education. You need to prove yourself first in a working environment for real clients.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Speaking of agents, I'm trying to find a headhunter in southeast Wisconsin (graphic design). Any ideas where to look, a listing of agents online or something? Needs to be regional, not national.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Anyone know of anything like those D&AD workshops in the US? Seems like a fantastic idea.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
They basically all require you to place bids, and on top of that you're competing with people in India and Russia who charge like $4-10/hr and most of them will even work for spec (:argh:). Small one-off logo work is really only profitable face to face, online the market is just way too saturated. Now, there are places you can get bigger contracts, and those are worth going after, but they're still done via bids. elance.com is probably the biggest of those.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Master's in GD is really only useful if you want to teach at a collegiate level, so consider very carefully. It's a lot of cash to pay out for something that won't really help your earning potential all that much in the field itself. If it's something you really want to do, great, go for it--but be sure to do all the financial math as related to tuition vs. earning potential.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
I'm trying to move more towards Art Direction from Graphic Design--I've been in loose positions doing exactly that (without the title or anything near it officially) and I feel like I take to it extremely well.

Are there any online schools worth looking in to, arts management perhaps? A second BFA or an MFA, or is there some certification or something easier that I can use to help show potential employers that I know what I'm talking about. I feel like my resume doesn't properly express my talents and art direction is harder to quantify if you were never in an official position of oversight.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Copyright law doesn't change because you're a non-profit, though you might potentially encounter more fair-use situations. You have to be REALLY sure first though--my wife runs a library, including the digital imaging arm, of an art museum, and I worked in-house in one as a graphic designer for three years. Rights are a huge deal, be very careful.

In fact the issues get multitudes more complicated if your non-profit deals with art in any manner (as you essentially have three+ possible simultaneous rights holders implicated on any given image), but since you didn't mention it, I won't derail further.

Do all your normal copyright due diligence.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
50 hours at say $30/hour (after taxes) is $1500, so it kind of depends on the specs of the towers, if you're getting more than one, what software, and are the licenses being transferred to you legally. Calculate it all out, decide if it's worthwhile, and get it all in writing.

On another note, it's not like your portfolio couldn't use more work, 50 hours of subsidized legit work has value in itself.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

daspope posted:

I am a senior in the Bachelors of Fine Arts Studio program and am interning for a local mainly student and community run magazine. I initially got the internship to do some design, illustration and to redesign their website. Six other students are volunteering doing a mix of photography, illustration and design while I manage and assign them projects for articles. This is currently my only internship I have and plan to be in school for two more semesters before graduation. What would be the appropriate title is for my internship? I am directing and managing, but listing that with no prior apprenticeship leads me to think it would not be taken seriously. I did comics for my school news paper in high school and know better than to put that on my resume, I am just curious how seriously the internship would be taken.

You'll list your title as whatever they assigned you when they took you on (Intern, Graphic Design & Project Management--if you're lucky). You show what you gained from the experience by listing tangible duties and accomplishments under the title on your resume and it should also show up in your portfolio. You'll be taken as seriously for this as you deserve--it all depends on the quality of the product and your ability to showcase your talents. Titles are meaningless, accomplishments matter.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
They sure are, and it's worse the smaller the town is (as they don't have to compete on business aesthetics, just on location or whatever). I've seen literally thousands of businesses in my 8 year career who just picked a "logo" out of a royalty free clipart book and called it good. Or worse, had their sister or whoever draw it for them. :sigh: Most business owners really are very very bad at running businesses which is why over 90% of new businesses don't make it past the two year mark. It's your goal as a designer to find clients who are good fits for you, not just find clients. Dumb down your aspirations and your work and clients will follow suit.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

KittenofDoom posted:

After a ton of research, I'm fairly sure I want to go into AAU's MFA program for illustration. In spite of the cost and some other departments' reputations, their illustration program seems really, really good. It's even been credited as such in this thread.

I've checked around, and AAU is one of only two schools in the entire STATE that has an MFA for illustration. The other is CSU Fullerton in Southern California, which likely wouldn't accept me because my first degree is in graphic design.

I want to go for an MFA instead of another BFA because I'd like to teach someday, plus I'd rather not deal with too many kids straight out of high school.

If I do this for one semester at first to feel out the program, and the cost of the two classes I'd take won't set me back too far, is this a terrible idea? It seems like there's a lot of practical skills I can gain from them.

I took a few classes there for GD but had to stop due to cost. I would have continued had it not been for the cost ($1500 for 3 undergrad credits vs the ~$350 I was used to paying at a state school). Made more sense for me to just finish up at state since I already had an established portfolio and work history. I have a friend who graduated from AAU and got a very good job placement. That's my perspective--super expensive but worth it if you put in the time and effort and absolutely weigh the cost/benefit analysis. I was taking my classes online and they had by far the best online setup I'd encountered.

Now I want to go to SCAD for a Masters in Design Management, but that program isn't online yet and I can't move just for school (wife, house, job, etc.).

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Agreed, copywriters are in huge demand. Bonus points if you can learn PR and SEO. I have yet to ever work with a copywriter who was actually good at their job, and it's always a pain in the rear end to fill that position.

Literally every aspect of e-media (for lack of a better term) is saturated with need for good copywriting. Web copy, PR copy, social media copy, SEO, SMO, straight advertising, etc. x110000000

Actual journalism or long-form writing is pretty much extremely saturated, the only writers I've seen lately that have broken out doing that kind of work were also extremely clever social media PR people.

I'm seeing a lot of copyrighting/pr/social media internships out there right now, try to land one and see if you like it. Then try another one, as every place is different and if you get a poo poo internship the first time around it might sour you on something that's actually a good fit.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Pantothenate posted:

Does the shortage of copywriters in the world mean I can get by with a writing degree and very little relevant experience (just making advertisements and helping with press kits for a publishing company), or would I need a relevant degree and internships and whatnot? Because it's about 6.5 grand and another year of my life to pursue the latter...

Depends on how competitive your geographic area is. In this job market, I'd finish that education but keep your eyes open for the right opportunity. Copywriters are needed, but it's an employers market in almost all disciplines right now. Plus while you're finishing that year you can keep building up your writing portfolio, go into the market really armed a year from now / figure out if that's what you really want to be doing.*

*I'm just some dude on the internet disclaimer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Pantothenate posted:

I'm going through a post-grad program for Advertising/Copywriting. They said the degree is toilet paper compared to the portfolio they're going to help you throw together--they had a display of a bunch of their previous year's students work, and none of it was Colin's Bear, so I'm pretty hopeful about the program--plus it's got a summer internship tacked onto it, which is always a good thing (assuming you're picked up by someone decent).

The thing I'm a little iffy about is security coming out. I realize that there's a bunch of contract work out there--and I got into this expecting to be held over the coals on projects and whatnot (the type of pressure I can't really function without), but now that I'm starting to get a little older and think a little more future-wise, I'm sort of curious how common the more secure, salaried work is in the field.

Also, I want you to give me a job. I assure you I'm mind-floggingly talented at everything I haven't yet learnt to do.

Right now? 200, 250 applicants per job posting. The low end work that freelancers usually learned on as newbies has all been outsourced to other countries with competition design sites, which produce often IP violating poo poo that no one should ever use. Interactive is really the only area that posts salaried jobs with any frequency right now.

My advice? Internships, and lots of them. They're backdoors into agencies, but watch out, as many agencies will churn through new graduates to do grunt work and burn you out. More internships = better chance of finding a good work/life balance and a salaried position coming out of school. Try an in-house internship as well if you can find one, to see if that side of the coin suits you. It can be really nice for the right company as you can shape the entire brand in a way you never can in an agency, or really anonymous and unfullfilling with limited exposure to other designers.