Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
I posted this in business and finance but the jobs thread there seems tech focused so I thought I'd try here.

I'm a writer who has been out of the game for awhile, and I'm not sure what to do about gaps in my resume. From 2007-2012 I have a pretty solid record of increased responsibility and promotions. In 2012 I was laid off and nobody was hiring writers, not even in PR or marketing. My wife was laid off from her job as an archeologist at the same time so we decided to travel a bit and took jobs teaching science/English that would allow us to do so. Now that we're settled, I'm looking to write again, and my resume looks something like this.

https://pastebin.com/DaZ27G3j

I feel like I have to include my teaching in there to explain such a large gap. In my cover letters, I explain that I wanted to travel while I was young and had the opportunity, so I took a break from writing. But I'm wondering if it might just be better to axe it from the resume entirely in the resume and let the cover letters explain the gap. I'm also unsure about the last two jobs, as I was still in university when I worked those. If I want to get it down to one page I'd have to cut about half a page.

I've tried to include numbers where I can, but never had access to traffic or sales data for most of my career, making it hard to include more. I've applied to four jobs in the past week, and included links to my best work in each cover letter. I used a URL shortener for those links and they've received zero views. So either HR hasn't gotten around to reading them, or something is wrong with my resume, cover letter, or both.

The other problem I have is that my best work is five years old at this point. All my work since I came back to writing has been marketing or news, and there's only so many ways to dress up a press release re-write. I have a large feature on deck for one website, but I still have two months of tracking down interviews and sources before I can hope to complete it.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU