Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Trintintin posted:

Come September I will be at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) for my freshman undergraduate year. At the moment I'm confused on what major I should choose. I applied and got accepted to the school for there Broadcast Design and Motion Graphics program, but lately I haven't been able to find any student feedback or information on it.

My old roommate graduated a year or two ago from SCAD with a Broadcast Design degree and he had zero trouble finding a good job after school. He worked on video game menus for Ubisoft in CA, and then from there found a job at a very well known design firm that does Flash animations/website for clients large clients like Nike.

SCAD is a really, really great school so disregard whatever bullshit you hear people spout off sometimes (I have no idea where all the hate comes from). I am about to graduate and it was worth every penny.

quote:

I'd like to know how I can wedge my way into a portrait, product and/or fashion photography studio as an assistant. It's simple to find a wedding photographer who needs help, but I can hardly get a foot in the door anywhere else.

Just call photographers in your area and tell them you are available and send them a resume. Also call any agencies (that represent photographers) or production companies and let them know too. I interned at an agency in NYC and we would get resumes every once in a while, I would just add their names and numbers to an office-wide spreadsheet (new people at the bottom, assistants their photographers liked at the top). When we needed an assistant for a shoot I would just go down the list and call people until someone answered and said they were available.

My tip for getting assisting jobs is to ANSWER YOUR GODDAMN PHONE. Where I worked the assistant list was 40+ names and on most days I would have to call most of the list to get someone just to answer, it was ridiculous. When you're starting out, maybe offer to work for free for a day as an extra 2nd or 3rd assistant to start learning different lighting systems and get your feet wet. Once you get your foot in the door just work hard and always show up on time and you'll get jobs, assisting isn't particularly hard but it is a lot of fun and a good way to make contacts in the industry.

Look on blackbook.com and check with your local ASMP chapter to find photographers. If you join your local ASMP they'll put you on a list of assistants that they send around to members.

I am a senior photo student at SCAD if anyone has questions about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
That resume layout is killer... thank you for posting that.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mansurus posted:

One thing that worries me is their "foundation studies" requirement. I have little desire or talent in regards to any art other than photography. How big of a deal is this, and should it make me dismiss the notion of seriously considering the school? Also, how good is the school objectively? How does it stand against others in the nation? Should i hold it up to some pedestal and ignore other options?

I am a photo major at SCAD about to graduate this fall... I was worried about foundations too but it's all pretty basic and the professors understand that everyone has to take Drawing and that a lot of people like you and me could care less and suck rear end. I actually did get pretty good at drawing while I was taking those classes and I had never drawn anything before, ever. Just don't go into class with the "I don't need this, I'm a photographer" attitude and you'll be fine. The point of foundations is to get you used to basic design concepts and participating in critiques and poo poo, not to turn photographers into illustrators.

And like I said I am a senior about to graduate and I consider going to SCAD invaluable to me personally. I don't think I ever would have gotten to the point I am now without school. SCAD has really, really loving good facilities and equipment for photography.. way better than pretty much any other school I looked at a few years ago, art or traditional.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Any of you guys have a recommendation for e-mail mailing list software/web service? I need to be able to send out a newsletter every once in a while to clients and I want something with a one-click unsubscribe and some kind of contact management I guess.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

yuming posted:

I understand art school is what you make of it, and I do feel like MCAD has a better feel for the industry than, say the U of MN. I guess my main concern is: are the programs at MCAD strong enough to be worth the $120k tuition price-tag? If she's going to spend that much, should she be applying at SCAD/etc as well? A friend of mine is $75k+ in debt and working retail after art school, so I am a little skeptical.

What kind of jobs could a degree in illustration lead to?

Illustrators are mostly freelance, or at least the ones I know all are.

FWIW, I got my BFA from SCAD about a year ago and have been freelancing ever since (I'm a photographer). I'm not getting rich or anything - I live in SF so the cost of living is really high - but I get to work for myself, set my own schedule, and I don't have problems paying the bills. I thought that right out of school I would either have to get a part-time day job or do a lot of assisting for a few years until I could shoot assignments full time but that hasn't been case.

No one gives a poo poo that I have a BFA (no one has ever even asked) but I would probably be serving coffee somewhere without the education I got. If you look at art school as 4 years to do nothing but develop your personal voice, put together a portfolio, network, and figure out a plan to find work afterward I think any of the larger 4-year art schools are good.

quote:

I find it surprising that your degree program didn't require at least art history 101 and 102, much less history of graphic design. Add some art history to your class schedule--frankly everyone should have a basic understanding of the history of art in any creative field.

Yeah, I had to take a poo poo load of art history classes and I don't know how anyone could work in the creative industry or be a working artist and not know that stuff. I had a friend who majored in art history at a big university and I took more art history classes than she did (and I didn't even get a minor). I think about that stuff on a daily basis, which is a lot more than some of the more "practical" skills I learned like darkroom printing :) .

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Downtown Savannah is like any other urban area. Yes there is crime, but unless you do stupid things (walk around alone drunk, join a gang, try to buy drugs on the street, etc.) you most likely will not have any problems. There are places to stay away from but it's pretty obvious. Savannah is a cool city to live in and not worse than most places, so don't let stories of :snoop: OMG CRIME :snoop: scare you away.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Why do I get the feeling that "looking like an art student" means you were riding around with a furry tail and ears or something? I didn't even really need to click through to your website to see the poorly done anime to confirm!

If you don't like the South that's cool but I lived in Savannah for 4 years and have no idea what your rant about "invaders" and "aggressive locals" even means. There is crime in Savannah but you won't have problems if you are not a moron. Also if you didn't know that SCAD had no central campus before you enrolled for that big bucks tuition maybe you should have done more research instead of whining about rich kids with Hummers?

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Chocolate Cocaine posted:

Anyway, my point is, how do I go about making a way for myself into photography? Where do I find shows, and other ways to gain some recognition in the photography world? And where should I be looking, outside of newspapers, to find some photography jobs in the journalism track?

Well, I don't know much about journalism/newspapers but you basically just asked the million dollar question. Being a professional is 10% photographic ability and 90% marketing yourself and finding the right clients to contact. Not that being good isn't important, but I know plenty of lovely photographers who are just good business people. I do commercial and editorial work and I basically spend most days doing nothing but making phone calls, mailing postcards, putting together promos, emailing, researching new clients, entering sourcebooks/annuals, etc. It's all about constantly doing anything to promote yourself and constantly making new contacts and then figuring out a way to keep in touch with those people. Right now I (and probably most other pros) are gearing up for a big marketing push for the beginning of 2009 so I have been holed up in my apartment updating my records and putting things together for that.

I have had work in a good number of exhibitions and besides selling a print occasionally I have never really gotten much out of it. I think that's only worth it if you intend to be a professional fine artist, in which case an MFA is pretty much required and building up a long laundry list of exhibitions in increasingly larger/more prestigious galleries is how you build your reputation. The only time I submit to exhibitions now is if the juror is someone that I would want to get my work in front of anyways. I see it as the same as sending a portfolio over to them instead of "I want to be in show/gallery X" (ie. a few months back I had a couple of images in a show that was juried by the curator of the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery - I ended up getting 'best in show' and now regularly keep in touch with her just like I do the rest of my professional contacts - that is someone I never would have contacted on my own, you never know who will pass your name along or help you out down the line). If you really want to be in exhibitions get a subscription to Art Deadline.

The whole journalism world is hurting really bad right now, most papers are laying photographers (and everyone else) off. I don't really know what to tell you about that.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Bloody Seppo posted:

I was going to do photography at SCAD in Savannah, but I bailed out after there were 5 shootings in one day (not to mention every apartment was a piece of crap with dead roaches everywhere).

I'm going to the Hallmark Institute of Photography this September (another 10 month program) to get myself fully up to speed on my photography skills, so I can feel completely confident in freelancing, should I not be able to land a job with a company.

Haha yes, ancient towns in the south are full of roaches. All of the violence in Savannah is gang-on-gang so unless you join a gang and/or are a loving retard nothing is going to happen to you (although I'm curious where you heard about the 5 shootings thing, I have friends there and didn't hear about that.. sometimes I miss the old hood).

Also I hate to break it to you but Hallmark is not going to prepare you for freelancing and there are zero staff jobs working for companies unless you want to work at Uncle Bob's Portrait Studio shooting 3 year olds 8 hours a day. If you are the type of person who can start a freelance photo career in the current lovely market after 10 months of training you don't need Hallmark.

Hallmark/Brooks/similar school grads are a dime a dozen and I have yet to really meet any that had a clue or work worth taking a second look at. The ones who are actually any good all think their education was a waste of money and learned what they know through assisting or whatever (according to them). I have hired a few as assistants and they were all terrible, and have worked on jobs with a few as an assistant myself and I had to carry their weight because none of them could be trusted to set up even a light stand without having their hand held.

edit: I'm not trashing Hallmark or anything just sayin' my experience with their grads. I think it's beneficial to a very small amount of people and everyone else is wasting their money. The technical schools churn out grads as fast as they can and those programs are not really comparable to a 4 year art school (not that a 4 year art school degree guarantees anything, because it doesn't). If you think you are going to spend 10 months at Hallmark and then land a job at a company shooting (what kind of mythical job would that be? it doesn't exist!) and are going to freelance as a "backup plan" then your expectations are way, way off from the reality of the photo industry.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 3, 2009

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yeah PDF is the only thing I have ever seen. A lot of people are on Macs and don't have Powerpoint or other MS software.

For what to include I would narrow it down to a client-specific portfolio, ie. only send your portraits to people who hire portrait photographers (and don't include anything else) and only send photojournalism examples to newspapers.. people only want to see what they need and nothing else. 10ish is a nice number, but do whatever you can get away with file-size wise.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Prylex3 posted:

Is it stupid to quit though? I ask this because SCAD has such a hefty price tag. While all the interactive guys at work say it is an awesome school, I am not convinced being in massive debt is worth it. I am not really fluent in the industry, but if I graduate SCAD and get a little bump in pay because I have a better portfolio, isn't that offset by the fact that I am 60K in debt? I have always wanted to gain experience and work on big name stuff, and here is my chance. I just don't want to quit school and regret it later. Or feel like I could have done better by sticking with school. I can still work and finish school to a certain degree, but to learn at work what I am paying to learn in school seems foolish. Will I be hurt later down the road if I don't have that little BFA next to my name? What does everyone think?

What major are you in? Motion Graphics? I went to SCAD and have a couple of friends who were in that (or Broadcast Design I think is what it used to be called) and they are all doing really interesting web/interactive stuff now. A few work at video game companies, and one of my friends who lives near me now is at an agency and always talking about working on really interesting projects for really major clients.

I don't know if it's worth it for you to stay in, but the people I know who did it are doing well. I believe most of the creative people I've met from my friend's agency went to art school too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Depends on what you want to do after school I guess. If you're going to be freelancing literally no one will give a gently caress or ask if what your degree is in or if you have one because it'll be all about your work.