Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

PriorMarcus posted:

Hey, thanks for the reply. You're right that I'm probably overqualified, and I do feel like I'd be taking a step back starting from the bottom, but right now I feel like any step would be good.

I have got a lot to show, and some contacts I can get in-touch with so I'll start pulling those strings. I'm also happy to relocate, and I'm currently a couple of lessons away from passing my driving test so hopefully that will be a use help.

The BBC is a good port of call and always seem to be hiring. As you live near Manchester, Media City isn't too hard to get to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/

I'd recommend starting out doing some work experience or getting on a trainee scheme as that seems to be the way in, though you might get lucky and go straight into a job. Also, different areas of the country do different things, I think in Bristol for example they do all the nature stuff, in Wales they do a lot of the Drama and so on. There's also a lot of independent tv companies in the north west, crocodile media and bigger pictures are 2 off the top of my head, google for more. Also can't harm to send an e-mail to your tutors asking if they have any advice or know of any opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

InternetJunky posted:

This is kind of a shot in the dark but it seems like an appropriate thread to ask in...

Do any of you have experience working in, running, and/or owning an art gallery? I'm mulling over the possibility of opening my own to sell my photography but it is incredibly difficult to find much information about this topic. Even basic stuff such as:
-- what kind of pay should a gallery manager expect
-- what kind of pay should a regular sales person expect
-- is commission on sales standard for employees
-- what kind of commission would be reasonable

Basically I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has any info on running and/or working in a gallery. Also, is there a better place in the forums for this type of info?

I've had exhibitions and know a few people with galleries - not sure where you live but this is UK based;

What sort of gallery are you wanting to run? Like a place that sells commercial art with a quick turnaround or more of a 'white cube' type contemporary gallery? If the former - commission on sales is standard for the people I know, the gallery takes between 30-50% - I think 5% is a decent commission and the rest would go towards running costs. If you want to be selling work regularly you have to think of the gallery space as potential areas to sell work, so if a work isn't selling, you're losing money. Therefore it's good to have an idea of what does sell, particularly to your audience (middle-class liberal arts people?) and then find artists you think would sell.

A good sideline could be antiques, generally going round in a van to auctions and house clearances, snapping up ornaments and art but also nice bits of furniture. Another good revenue stream is offering framing of existing pieces of work, though that depends on your skillset I guess. You could also offer some space for art and craft classes, such as photography, life drawing, macrame etc. But just selling art alone can be a bit high risk, particularly if you aren't in a major city.

I'd visit other galleries, particularly show openings, and maybe look at putting an exhibition together before opening your own gallery. Collaborate with others, as this makes it easier but also your network expands for each additional person you work with. You can also approach other local businesses and see if they'd be interested in having your work up (particularly if its local landscapes/people/culture) - it can still be for sale and they'd get a cut (5) but otherwise it's like free advertising.

I'd cost up a rough budget (rent, salaries, insurance, framing, overheads, tax), visit and talk to as many gallery owners as possible then look towards either a small business loan (may be high risk) or any art grant programmes in your area. If there's no grant money about, contact local universities and say you're interested in setting up a gallery and if their students/professors would be interested and if so, would it be something to collaborate on (same with local councils) - look at NGO's that may have nationwide strategies around arts and culture for other funding, or see what you can get for little to no costs (particularly in terms of space)

Good luck!