Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Over the last few months I've been getting serious about my photography and want to do everything I can to become a better photographer. Second to that I always wanted to learn how to draw and possibly paint. Right now my photography needs a lot of work on the artistic end (I can learn the technical side fine on my own) and as far as drawing skill and art appreciation goes, I'm about on par with a 3rd grader.

Aside from a small (recently increased) interest in photography, I feel I have been devoid of artistic expression for most of my life. I would like to change that and I think the best way of accomplishing my goal is to be put into a structured environment since I have motivational issues as a self learner. I have been considering taking classes at the local state university (UCF) that would apply towards to a BA/BFA in Art with a photography track (kind of like a photography minor I guess). I currently have a BS and a well paying job in the space program that I love, so I would be completing this degree out of pure personal satisfaction.

The advantage to having a degree and being gainfully employed is that I would not have to take any general education classes and I could take the classes at my leisure. The classes I would have to take consist of drawing, design, computer art, art appreciation/history, photography, and non photography studio classes of my choice.

Now I suppose I should get to the point of this post; is this a good idea? My expectation is that going through the degree will turn me into an artist if I put in the required dedication to complete the degree. Am I expecting too much? Is there another/better path to take? Am I doomed to becoming an old man who has never expressed himself artistically?

Finally, I'd love to hear from other goons who took up art for the first time as an adult. I am curious to know what you did to learn your artistic trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU