Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
Hey ZergCow I was considering relocating to Austin (in the distant future) and am interested in the "job day" you went to. Do you have a link?

I am in a similar position to you so you're not the only one dealing with heroic odds. I got out of college this spring and right now I'm working with different game mods/teams for unpaid experience in concept art. It's a start, I guess, but it seems so hard to break into the big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon

ZergCow posted:

Links

Thanks a lot ZC, that is some stellar information. Too bad I can't make em this year, but it'll give me full year to work my rear end off to draw better and learn how to use Maya. Good luck in LA, let's hear how you do!

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
I went to SVA and NYU. I had a friend in Cooper so I visited sometimes. It is a Fine Art school, so the primary focus there and in NYU is not technical skill. Also very difficult to get in, but it's a very good school. NYU's art is pretty good too, right around the corner literally from CU. If you want to pursue illustration your options are FIT, SVA, Parsons, Pratt. I had friends in FIT too, and it seemed so-so for illustration. SVA was very good IMO, but I was there for only one year for illustration. A lot of famous illustrators teach there, and were (with few exceptions) were fantastic.

oldyogurt fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2007

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon

Ecojiro Desu posted:

The more I think about it I realize it would be incredibly unprofessional and flaky to include it.

Anyone else have a say on this? I'm in a very similar situation and am applying for jobs. I graduated from a top tier university for computer science, then went to art school for a year before dropping out, for a number of reasons (particularly time, money. But I could easily have stayed if I chose to). I thought having a diploma from a big name school on the record would counteract the notion of being flaky. Also, if you take your art school out of the resume, wouldn't they ask you what you were doing during that time?

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
Yeah you can do it at staples, but on the Wide Format printer even if you are printing smaller images. The print quality is quite good and it's $8 per sq. ft. I printed some stuff there for an art show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
Well, this might be it: http://www.thejonjones.com/ - Jon Jones, smArtist