Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Villon
Oct 7, 2004

General Ripper posted:

I posted some career direction questions a few posts up (here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2563469&pagenumber=6#post343450394 ) and would really appreciate some input, so I'm bumping.

Be more specific about what direction you'd like to go. I'd say something different for film vs. animation vs. comics. Comics you could just self-publish, at least to get started- do a zine. Film you could become a PA to start with and get to know people. Animation you could draw like crazy and then teach yourself Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Villon
Oct 7, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

I'm finishing up a year of Art Fundamentals at my provincial community college
So my questions would be: Is it fairly easy to get a handle on working with CG? How hard is it to break into the industry? Do any Hollywood FX houses hire new graduates? Would someone with a classical animation background have a huge leg up over those with only straight technical animation training? And is it enough to only be taught Maya and 3ds Max?

Do you want to be a character animator or an effects artist? A traditional (2D) animation program will be really useful if you want to be a character animator, and a lot of places are willing to teach 3D software to someone who already has the core skills.
If you want to be an effects artist, you will (of course) need to learn the software, but also drop all the character stuff. Your best chance of getting a job out of school is to kick rear end at one thing- diversity doesn't help you at this stage.

Villon
Oct 7, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

Which brings me to my other question:
When it comes to getting a professional job in the CG industry, does it come down to talent or training? Do you need to take those $25,000 courses at places like SCAD to get the high-profile jobs? Or can you figure out enough on your own by messing with those programs? I've seen the results of a community college two-year Maya & Max course, and they weren't very impressive... either the students just weren't talented, or you need to shill out the big bucks for top-notch education.

I totally agree with Akaikami, and just want to chime in one more thing- I would probably bring you in for an interview if you were self-taught and had a really great reel, but would hesitate to hire you. In school, you not only learn to do the work, you also learn professional practices, lingo, workflows, you meet people...

People pay a fortune for an industry education because the job market is so competitive- they are making an investment. In short, go to school- the best one you can, and work your rear end off.

Villon
Oct 7, 2004

To be honest, I don't think about the greeting that much. I expect informality from creatives, and being really formal makes you sound either too young or too old. Say "Hey" if it suits you, but it doesn't make much difference.

Villon
Oct 7, 2004

KittenofDoom posted:

I really want to be an illustrator, or at least a graphic designer that draws a lot. I finally got my BA squared away, so now it comes down to finding a job. My question is whether I should take the first available related job from monster.com for the sake of experience, or should I hold out for something I'd be really happy with? The job I have right now is enough to pay my bills, but only just.

I can't rely on my school for jobs, since I moved way far away right after I finished, so how would I even find the kind of job I'm looking for? I'd like to think there's better resources than the job websites.

I've said this before on SA, but I would recommend concentrating on the company you want to work for, rather than a) taking any job or b) holding out for your dream job. Most of the people I know who got their dream job got it by starting somewhere to get their foot in the door and then working into the position that they wanted to be in.

Look for companies that are doing the work you're passionate about and apply for anything they have- if they don't have any openings, scrounge up a contact at the company and request an informational interview. When you get there, demonstrate how much you like and respect their work. Find out the company history and the history of the founders. Use the verbiage in their mission statement in your cover letter (not a direct quote, but if you already know that they value innovation, use that knowledge to your advantage. Somewhere in your resume, mention that you "introduced an innovative filing system" or something.)

If you do establish a contact, keep in touch with that person. If the company posts a job you might apply for, ask them about it "I see you just posted such and so, and I'm considering applying for it. Do you think I'd be a good fit for that position?" (don't ask them for any insider knowledge- it's inappropriate, and if they like you they'll tell you anyway.) Don't be obnoxious, but let them know if you accept a position somewhere else and keep them updated on your career every year or so.

Finally, if you do accept an entry-level position that isn't really where you want to be, let everyone know it. Make sure that your boss and everyone else knows that you're really happy to be working for the company, but you wish you were doing _________. If they like you and you're a good worker, you have a really good chance of moving over to that position.

Oh, one more finally- put a time limit on that. If a year goes by and they haven't promoted you and you don't think they will, start looking for a new job. It's perfectly legitimate to say that you feel underutilized or that you need the opportunity for advancement- a new potential employer will understand that, and your old job will understand it too, since you've made it clear the whole time.

Sorry this is so long- hope it's helpful.