Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I know that the posts about advertising copywriting are long way back now, but I am still curious. I'm mostly into illustration and Flash but could use some extra money on the side. I have a degree in animation and sequential art but always performed very well in my English and short story writing classes. Is it required to have a writing degree and is there any other way to started? The websites I found were very vague or just wanted to sell me books.

Exactly how does one go about getting started in that area if you don't have a specific degree in writing or journalism?

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I just put up my new site at https://www.katielisk.com

Critiques? Broken links? Not working in your browser? Let me know!

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think the design is very juvenile and something a 12 year old would do. The typeface for your name is ugly and is on par with the likes of papyrus and comic sans.

Your leading is way too tight in your about me section and italics should not be used for primary body copy. If you're going to keep the swirls and borders I would find a serif face and clean up the borders. It's just way to I drew this in crayon in 5 minutes.

You can change link colors super easy, so get rid of the blue e-mail link. You don't need purple around the download link to your resume because the icon is enough.

I just feel like I walked into a Renfair looking at the website.

You did point out some useful things such as the typeface and a miscolored link (Both of which I changed) but I will try to defend my design choice. I understand that you may not like the color purple or the nouveau swirls, but I don't think it's too terrible. I wanted to do something a bit different than the sleek/modern square look I see everywhere. Does the design itself not work, or do you simply not like that particular look?

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 26, 2010

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

qirex posted:

There's a lot of conflict between how fancy the jacquard background is and how thick, blunt and dark the framing elements are. What you have could work but it would be tricky. I'd say you should make the pattern bigger and re-examine how you box out that area. Those big thick lines in Art Nouveau were always used to separate things not just as decorative elements.

Also I don't get a lot out of the butterfly it's not stylized enough for your theme.

I made some edits to the bg/boxes. Do these help?

Click here for the full 800x516 image.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Slashie posted:

Yeah yeah website, kerning, actionscript, netscape... tell me more about this dinosaur comic book you seem to have here. :allears:

It's a little story I illustrated about the mystery surrounding the fossilized bodies of a Velociraptor and Protoceratops that were found locked in battle. Apparently a sand dune had collapsed over top of them as they were struggling and they were trapped like that for thousands of years. How romantic. :allears:

I also completely overhauled it, did away with the oppressive look and tried something lighter.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've already made a bunch of changes and will continue to work on it. :)

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Slashie posted:

That rules. I would love to see more if you have it, or just bigger versions of the linework. I know a... child... who would love to take some crayons to that badass raptor.

I have a DeviantArt account (THE HORROR) with much larger file size. http://pokketmowse.deviantart.com/
It also originally had a fourth page showing how they were covered by a landslide and then cutting to the fossilized bodies on display today, but it got destroyed when I was moving out of an apartment. :(

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

pipes! posted:

There really is a stigma about Deviantart, and separating it from your professional portfolio is solid advice. Think of it this way, would you want prospective clients who know nothing about the internet being conceivably one click away from finding pregnant furry Stargate fanart?

I already took it off the links section and completely overhauled the site. It was good advice and I took it. DevArt was the only gallery I had for many years so I've probably become desensitized to most of the poo poo on there.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Flash People-

Help me? I've found out that I really enjoy Flash as much as my self-taught self can, and one of my dream jobs is to work in a small studio working on things like greeting cards or small animations or even tv shows. I've worked for two years out in Hollywood, part of which included me making art assets (icons and such) for Facebook games, but have moved back to the east coast and haven't been able to find a job yet other than small freelance gigs.

But what are studios looking for right now? What should I put on my reel that will make studios stop and take a look at me? I'm not a programmer and my animations have thus far been fairly short, should I do some sort of short feature? What do they like to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Hi School Advice Thread-

I graduated from SCAD ages ago. I've been working in games for almost a decade and want to move on to something else. I thinking I might go back to school to get an MA in Graphic Design or Web Design or some such (that way I'd be able to teach too). It also just might feel nice to get back into an academic mindset now that I've been out in the real world for a while and will be very different from going to school in my 20s. I worked mostly in Flash graphics and animation before, so I'm well versed in how vectors work, but other programs such as all the intricacies of Photoshop and whatnot, I know less about. I think I might enjoy Graphic Design, and there are definitely more jobs and opportunities available along those lines, after working in a much smaller and more insular job market for so long (I also have lived in California for LONG ENOUGH and it's just not the place for me). I don't know enough to say whether I would swing towards web or advertising or anything, but that's what schools help you with anyway, right?

So I guess now I'm in the beginning stages of planning here, and am looking for a good but affordable school with a good graphic arts program for a MA.

EDIT: I am kind of leaning towards web design because I like working with computers, am not into high-concept bullshit at all, and like the idea of making money.

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 2, 2017