Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I was torn whether to post this here or in the B&F interviewing thread, but here goes...

I have an out-of-the-blue interview tomorrow afternoon. It's basically a copywriting/branding position at a marketing firm. From the conversations we've had so far, the manager seems very interested in me.

This is a field I've wanted to break into for a while, but this is the first time I've gotten as far as having to show someone my work. I write a lot of magazine articles and promotional copy at my current job, but it's not my primary responsibility, so I've never put together a pretty portfolio.

I don't have time to make a polished portfolio website/CD or anything by tomorrow, so I'm going to lug in a folder full of paper. Would a potential employer like this rather see the printed text of stuff I've published (i.e., a neat stack of Word documents), or scans of the actual publications themselves?

If it were creative writing, I'd be more inclined to bring in a bunch of irregularly-sized published works, but does it matter so much for nonfiction magazine articles and marketing copy?

I expect that my interview and writing will speak for themselves (the manager is aware of my unorthodox background), but I want to make as good of an impression as possible.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm facinated by user interface design, and would love some advice on how to explore the field further and possibly work toward rebooting my career.

I'm currently in middle management at a Midwestern nonprofit cultural institution, where I create and present multimedia science education programs. It's an emotionally rewarding job--it's grown to be a huge part of my identity; perhaps more than is healthy--but the hours are long, there's not much organizational support, and the pay is loving terrible (like just over 1/2 the state's average teacher salary). It's also a job that's prohibitably specific in nature; lately I've been losing a lot of sleep over how unmarketable I am.

I have over decade of experience doing what I do. I have a B.S. in Film/Video Production, an M.A. in Communication, and a good eye for design (benefitting from some design coursework and a boatload of content creation/evaluation experience). I'm very comfortable with basic software like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. (although I do spend more time w/ video), but all my programming experience is worthless proprietary garbage.

How can I learn more about the creation of beautiful and functional user interfaces? If I ended up liking it enough to take a career leap in a couple years, I assume I'd need a combination of more software/programming knowledge, more formal design knowledge, and a nice portfolio of projects I've worked on. Where should I start? Should I just bust out, say, some XHTML or CSS or AJAX tutorials and start absorbing?

Also is this a really silly idea?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 16, 2010

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

qirex posted:

Hey, I'm a UI designer!

Cool, thanks a ton for the info and advice.

I'll definitely hit the design and programming books, and see if I can get a few instructive personal projects going.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

https://www.katielisk.com

It looks like you used a slightly lighter weight on "Resume & Contact" to make it fit. It was the first thing that caught my eye and it's a little distracting.