Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delita
Jan 6, 2005
I'm a 4th year Illustration major at FIT. I can give you ANYTHING you want to know about FIT. I've been very much involved in the college, department and the social life.

As an art school, FIT is okay. They have a HUGE problem with the associates program (the first 2 years) because a good number of the professors are 80 year old has-beens that have no idea wtf they're doing anymore. They can't get fired because of their union and they keep forcing themselves to teach for the health benefits. It's pretty much hit or miss with the faculty for the first 2 years. The Bachelor's program is pretty much amazing. There are a number of famous illustrators teaching there. (Much like SVA and most of them know each other/some of the FIT teachers have taught at SVA and most of the models work for both schools as well as Pratt simultaneously)

They are however working intensely on changing the curriculum for Illustration because they've realized how they're starting to lose students to those terrible teachers in the associates program.

I've taken a summer class at SVA and have always wanted to go there. I just couldn't afford it, I was even ready to early decision to SVA. SVA's illustration chairpersons (MFA and BFA) are real hardasses and they really press their teachers to get the students to produce. "You're only as good as your previous class" My SVA professor explained to me when I asked him why the SVA shows held such a great amount of quality works compared to FIT.

Unfortunately most of FIT's students are very unmotivated and scattered. Most of my colleagues don't even draw outside of school. (Though FIT is pretty strict on attendance) Out of the 7 groups of 25 or so students that were in my year, only 2 and a half of those groups remain.

So to break it down; FIT's associates program blows, even if you opt for the Fashion Illustration path but they ARE changing and hiring new teachers. The bachelors program have some of the best teachers I could ever imagine. I know close to nothing about the masters program but I'll tell you that I hear the SVA's masters program is one of the best.

Fun fact: FIT is 70% girls, though their website says something like 90%. There's a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU