Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Nihiliste posted:

The kicker is that I've actually done a fair amount of work in photography, mostly an assistant, but solo as well. I'm looking at more work this year, but the trouble is that I want to work with lights instead of a bride's flowers. I'd love to do commercial or architectural photography, but everyone in Ottawa seems to either have help or think they don't need it.

Hey, saw your posts a bit late. I'm in the same boat as you for now. I've worked as an assistant for a couple people but it's not regular enough. I was going to advise you to join ASMP and APA, but you're a dirty Canuck and I don't know if those apply up there. Maybe there's a CSMP or APC? Either way, find the local chapter of a photographer's society and join up. Go to any and all meet-n-greets, portfolio reviews, workshops and rear end kissing sessions. Getting more gigs as an assistant is all about talking to everyone and handing out as many business cards as you possibly can. Also make up a resume with a full skill list of what kind of cameras/lighting/gear/etc you know how to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Nihiliste posted:

Thanks, that's the sort of advice I was looking for.

No problem. Also I've been trying to go through the local pro list and look at photography work I actually like and emailing them telling them why I like their work and seeing if they need any assistants. Just like most other businesses though, it's all about the follow through. I'm gonna wait a few days for a response and then try to go to their studios.