Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

#3 - Really really good advertising course, didn't go to the Open Day but my friend said it looked good. About 45 minutes on the train from London so still good links. No matter how fantastic the course is, the rest of the uni is regarded as utter poo poo as far as I know :(.

Was this Bucks (BCUC)?

I'm a Copywriter in a London ad agency if anyone wants help with careers in that field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Mein Eyes! posted:

Specifically commercial galleries, though I'm equally in the dark about how museums select and purchase work. For some reason I imagine museums to be selective rather than receptive of new work.

I can't help with your question but for anyone hesitating in replying to Mein Eyes! because it's such a hard field to crack - he is an awesome artist. And no, I don't know him personally, I commissioned a painting and it rules.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Does anyone at top-level ad agencies (more Saatchi/TBWA/WK than small-town) come from a graphic design background? Namely, art directors. On my previous course at college (I'm from England, BTEC ND Graphic Design) we did a unit of advertising which was great, but I'm now doing a graphic design degree which specifically doesn't deal with advertising.

I'm looking at all this loving awesome advertising work on Behance and in D&AD books and I'm gutted I didn't decide to do an ad design degree.

By all accounts I'm on an awesome graphic design course, I love where I am and am glad I didn't go to Salford or Manchester Met because really, gently caress Manchester; I have no inclination to change where I am, at all.

At the same time, the further I get into this course the more I realise how different graphic design and advertising are, and I'm worried about getting stuck into the graphic design mode of operation rather than approaching problems like an ad man would.

I'm not really sure where to go from here - should I try and go to Fabrica or Miami Ad School postgrad, or do you get junior art directors with next-to-no ad experience (other than D&AD competitions and such)

I don't know about Art Directors, but couldn't you be a Designer in an ad agency with your graphics background? My agency (it's definitely no W+K, mind) has heaps of designers doing web stuff, emails and print. Or do you definitely want to do concepting?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

I'd like to do the conceptual stuff. I like pretty things but witty things are better.

OK, well I see absolutely no reason why you can't. Creatives come from all over the place. Granted, the majority come from Bucks Uni and places like that these days, but that doesn't mean you can't have a different background. I'm a Copywriter and I didn't go to Bucks. You don't need qualifications, you just need to be good.

Your graphics skills will definitely help in producing a good portfolio ("book") to show at interview. You just need to buddy up with a copywriter and get a book together. You could maybe start with the D&AD Workshops: http://dandad.co.uk/education/workshops.html - it's six weeks of getting a brief, having a week to work on it and then presenting your work to the agency that set the brief for feedback. It's knackering but it's pretty useful.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Thanks for the advice :)

I guess it's time to stop talking and start working on some D&AD and YCN briefs.

For what it's worth, my friend is at Bucks (on BA Creative Advertising - my second choice course) and hates it, so I'm pretty glad I'm not there all things considered.

e: forgot to say, did you do a D&AD workshop? I completely forgot to apply this year, might go for the summer one, but might wait till next year (2nd year) when I'd get more out of it.

Yeah, I did the integrated one 'cause I work in an integrated agency. And also because that one goes to some agencies I've actually heard of (Iris, Kitcatt Nohr etc) whereas the above-the-line one seemed to go to random places I've never ever heard of (England (apparently an agency), jwtcheethambell (not just JWT) etc). It's a bit of a myth that you go round BBH and Saatchis on the ATL one.

What year is your friend in? I know some folks at Bucks.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

He's a first year. Does your agency have any connections with Ravensbourne out of interest?

I'm sure I saw a summer workshop on the Saatchi & Saatchi website a year or two ago, can't find it now. That would be the dream though...

No... I've never even heard of Ravensbourne but maybe the creative PA would have. She deals with work experience and placements and stuff.

S&S do a summer scheme every year, yep... it's more of a grad scheme/traineeship thing, though, and geared towards account management. Also, it's fiendishly difficult to get on - the year before last they wrote on a piece of paper "Turn this piece of paper into a job". And that was your application. Jeez.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

GodofGravity posted:

Anyone have any advice on getting into creative advertising?
I have an associates in Graphic Design and a bachelors in Advertising and I'm currently a Graphic Artist at a local newspaper. I would really like to move into a creative role at an agency as I enjoy coming up with ad/campaign concepts, copy writing, and the production of ads. During my job search after graduation it seemed like all I came across was posting for graphic designers or sales/media positions at agencies. I had a couple interviews for graphic designer positions but always got the feeling that I wasn't a good enough designer for what they wanted. (I'll be the first to admit my portfolio is a bit light/weak, don't have a lot of outstanding projects to put in)

Should I keep trying for design positions at agencies? Is there some other 'generic creative services' position that places have that I should look at instead? When fleshing out my portfolio is it ok to include all these lovely little newspaper ads I've been churning out for the past couple months? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Firstly, where do you live? The ad industry varies hugely by location.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

GodofGravity posted:

I'm in Southwest Michigan. Most places I was applying were near Chicago, Detroit or Grand Rapids.

Ah, OK. I'll let an American goon help you out then, I hear it's quite different across the pond.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

KittenofDoom posted:

Out of curiosity, would it help my job-seeking if I lived within the city I want to work?

I currently live within commuting distance of San Francisco, but still about an hour and a half away. I've had prospective employers express concerns over even that much. I could probably make enough money above what I currently make if I waited tables in SF as opposed to my lovely ghetto city to afford to rent a room. Probably.

Aside from being able to list my address in the Bay Area on my applications, would I gain any kind of additional knowledge or benefits from living there?

A guy at my office (London) moved to Scotland. He didn't tell work until he'd done it, he just did it. It's been no problem, and that's a whole other country. Maybe just leave your address off your resume? You only really need a website/email address/phone number these days anyway.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

srphm posted:

I think you are right on track with the creative role at an agency. Sometimes my agency will get clients that have little to no clue as to what they want

I don't know about yours, but at my agency, the clients don't know what they want until you present them with your first draft. Then they know exactly what they wanted, and it definitely wasn't what you've done.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

KittenofDoom posted:

I still feel like I'm flailing in the dark. For those with agency experience, can you take a look at my portfolio and give me an idea what path I ought to pursue?

That is, don't criticize what's on the page (I've got enough of that to work with), but show me something that's a better version of what I'm already doing? Knowing what direction to head in will make it considerably easier to get there, rather than trying to improve on things I won't be using anyways.

Your portfolio confuses me because there's no explanation of the work there - it's just there. I think you should add text to the pieces, explaining what they are, what you used to create them and what you did with them. Like the Pique one - you could put something like:

Packaging design for Pique (men's cologne)
Created in Adobe Illustrator
Now on sale at pique.com

Or whatever. As a prospective employer I'd want each piece to justify its place and explain how it demonstrates your skills.

Also, I think you know this already, but your resume plays up your skills in programs like Photoshop and After Effects, but a lot of the work in your portfolio is done by hand with pencils or paint or whatever, which is weird and irrelevant. The photograph is especially confusing.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Dr. Lenin posted:

What's the best way to layout a portfolio that will be sent via email? I have a lot of photos to show, but not sure how to split them up. I was considering making a powerpoint that has a photo on each slide, but I am not sure how many categories to use or what to put in there. I have photojournalistic, landscapes, portraits, and many abstracts... not sure if all of them should go in there. Any advice or guides on how I should go about forming my portfolio?

The ones I see from photography agencies are always PDFs with the photographer's details and five or six pictures as a sample.

Filesize-wise, you can't send much more than that by email anyway.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Can someone take a look at my CV? I just redesigned it (again), still not entirely happy with the copywriting at least (but I'd prefer it to be human than formal)

Click here for the full 595x842 image.

I like the CMYK look of it, but I do feel like it's missing some stuff. Like what kind of job you're looking for, and what experience you've got. I know you've put a client list on there and you've got a portfolio, but it feels like your CV should at least mention that stuff.

What do you need the CV for? Are you applying for placements or something? It's a bit confusing because you're still at uni.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

I was thinking of adding in a 'mission statement' to the effect of 'I live and breath design and am eager to learn anything. I also make an awesome cup of tea.' (but not like that because it sounds desperate, but you know what I mean)

I think that's a good idea, and I'd also add in a line about what you're looking for.

Don't forget to apply to ad agencies for experience, they could probably do with some Art Directors at the mo. I'll ask my agency as well if you like, but it'd be work experience rather than freelance because we're all recessioned-up :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Sweet, I'll get on that.

Heh there's a lot of places to apply to, just working my through :). That would be :krad: if you could do that (where are you based?) :)

I've had a closer look at your website now, not sure if it's just me but the years go 2009, 2007, 2008 - why aren't they chronological? Also I'd take the Bubblegum Screw stuff out if I were you, or at least the CD cover. It's not nearly as strong as your other work.

Other than that, it looks great. I've passed your details on to one of our designers, hopefully we'll have a slot to fit you in for work experience at some point. We're in central London, is that OK for you?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Sweet, taken it out. Thanks for the crit. I have absolutely no idea why it won't go in chronological order, some PHP weirdness that I'll have to have a look at :)

Central London is perfect, really appreciate this (even if nothing comes of it) :)

I can't seem to PM you so I'll say it here - I sent your portfolio around the designers at work and they all agree you're really talented. One of the design heads has put you in a folder he keeps of people for work experience/junior jobs.

Annoyingly we only have enough computers for the designers we've got, so they're not willing to get you in at the mo. I did beg, and I said can't we get you in when someone's on holiday, but apparently when that happens they'll all be too busy to tutor you.

I know it sucks but at least they all think you're good, and you're on the list of work experience dudes if they ever decide they're not too busy!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

e: I have a laptop if that makes any difference

It's an issue with licenses I think, the software needing to be licensed to the company and whatnot. And there'd be no desk for you either.

It sucks massively but I badgered them about it as much as I can. I will try again when they're less busy though, see if I can twist someone's arm ;)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

RiceTaco posted:

Anyone ever deal with Creative Circle? They always post a lot on craigslist, monster, careerbuilder, etc. in major cities. Sounds like a typical job placement agency...

I don't know what country you're in, but in England, Creative Circle is an advertising-related company that runs some well-respected awards, produces an annual and does some membership-related stuff that I don't understand even though I'm a member.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'd be interested as well, except I'm wanting to go to the UK.

I don't know about scholarships but Ravensbourne and Central St. Martins are well-regarded for design and art, or if you're still thinking of advertising, Watford and Bucks are considered the best.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Know any for broadcast design/motion graphics?

I see myself heading into that area.

Are you after undergraduate or post-grad?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Know any for broadcast design/motion graphics?

I see myself heading into that area.

I asked my motion graphics buddy, and he said "Ravensbourne would probably be first call for me, but wouldn’t he be better getting a job somewhere? He’ll learn more that way and time in the industry counts more than it should."

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

come to Ravensbourne :)

it's rather rad, and we're moving to a state of the art new building next to the O2 (like literally, 10m from the O2) next summer with brand new kit and stuff.

of course being a graphic designer this means nothing to me and we actually had to buy a letterpress ourselves, but for digital poo poo it's second to none.

This is true. But my friend who does motion graphics here (and went to Ravensbourne himself) says "I don’t think there’s any point doing a post graduate course if you want to get a job over here. People will be more concerned with what you can do, not where you’ve been".

So if you've already got the undergrad, why not just get a job?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Probably not, you're still building on the same foundation, just learn how to animate and how to use After Effects

Yeah exactly. My designer friend said a couple of short courses would be better and much cheaper for you.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

OK cool. I already know how to animate. I think I'm going to push harder for work to get an account at lynda. Their instruction videos are amazing. If not 20 bucks a month won't kill me.

Are you still coming to the UK? :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

I've always wanted to live outside the U.S. for a bit. I don't know because I want to live in Chicago as well. Wherever life decides to take me. :)

OK, well let me know if you do. I work in advertising in London and I could introduce you to some folks if you wanted.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Agnes posted:

That helped me! Thanks! I'll consider these minors and try to get more info on them. Also, I heard about Miami Ad School which has an Art Direction or Digital Design 2 year course... Anyone know if it's good? I have a colleague that said that it was a good school for people looking to have creative career in advertising.

Miami Ad School is excellent, one of the best.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Dauher posted:

Hey guys, this is sort of a cross post from the career forum, but I figured this is a bit more of a specialized place to put this. I put together my resume using same's template from the first thread. Wondering how you guys thought I executed it layout wise, as well as the actual content.

http://www.latestwonder.com/michaelmcdermott_resume.pdf

While I'm here, what is the consensus on sending resumes in pdf format via email? Good/bad? would most people prefer word? I'd really rather not have to try to remake this in word..

Anyway, thanks!

Firstly, I think PDFs are the best option because people have different versions of Word, and your carefully-placed columns can go really screwy when opened on other computers. So PDF works better for that, even though it's slow as hell.

Secondly, as an ad copywriter myself, I'd say you can definitely afford to take out the landscaping job. It's completely irrelevant and you've got enough to fill that section without it.

"Media related" should really be "media-related", and if I were you, I'd put something more solid in that section. "Further develop my abilities" is vague. You'd be better off saying exactly what kind of development you're looking for. Are you looking for work experience or an actual job? It reads like work experience, mostly because you've said "to gain experience". If you're looking for a permanent job, you'll need to overhaul that section a bit. If not, adding your date of birth might be useful, to make it absolutely clear you're not entering the world of work just yet.

I would put Marketing Assistant on the line directly below "Symphony New Brunswick" (is New Brunswick the location? If so, you need a comma after Symphony), then leave a line, then start the description with "Created...". "Up to date" should be "Up-to-date". I wouldn't normally pick on small things like that, but if you're looking at copywriting jobs, you need to be flawless.

Under Three-D, in the sentence "Responsible for...", take out the second "for" ("and for keeping..."). You could also stand to lose "in general" — it doesn't add anything.

In the second column, under "Skills Overview", you've misspelt "experienced", and, I think, "film" (unless "fim" is a type of camera I'm not aware of). If you can think of another word instead of one of those uses of "equipment", that'd be good, because the repetition doesn't read too well.

In some of the bullet points in that column, you have a space after the dash (-) and in some, you don't. Better to make that consistent.

"Responsible for writing ad copy to most effectively convey a client’s message and hitting the proper voice for them." — if you're going to leave this as-is, then you need to change "hitting" to "hit". But I'd recommend something like "Responsible for writing ad copy to effectively convey a client's message, while staying within the boundaries of their brand tone-of-voice". That's just off the top of my head, but I'm not sure "hit the proper voice for them" is the most professional way to say that.

I think "writer's room" should be "writers' room", unless it's just for one writer.

In the bit about "Hide and Seek", this bit: "which would be produced for the "Diplomatic Relations" series" is confusing, it sounds like it was going to be produced but wasn't, or something. You'd be better off putting "which was produced..." and then getting rid of the second "which" before "screened...".

Some idea of your level of skill with the computer programs you list might be good, too.

Finally, I don't get from your resumé what job it is you're looking for. Unless, like I said before, you're after work experience. But there's a bit of a mixture of design, film and writing, so if you are after a permanent position, it'd be good to focus on one of those areas.

Sorry this is so long. I know it sounds like I've made a lot of criticisms, but actually your resumé was far superior to a lot of the junior ones I've received at work.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Hey Marsh, can you drop me with an email with your email address so I have your email address to email you about some stuff - my email is on my website and alas I don't have PMs!

Thankyoo

Is your website latestwonder.com? Because it's saying "Forbidden" at the moment.

Edit: Oops, didn't read the usernames and assumed you were the chap who posted his resumé. Hello again.

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 15, 2009

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

KittenofDoom posted:

I've updated my portfolio with some work I did while interning, but I want to do everything that's needed to get a real job.

I agree with Zurich that the text is really unprofessional. If you're trying to get hired, things like "Yay me" don't make you come across as fun and friendly, they just make you sound like a teenager.

You definitely need the "About me" page, and by all means add a couple of jokes or a bit of personality. But the majority of the text should be professional-sounding and highlight your experience and skills. "I know a lot of programs. I mean a whole bunch of em." is not helpful to me as an employer. Some examples of the programs you can use and to what level would be much better. I can see you've put it in your resumé, which is good, but you can't assume people reading your site will click it. They might give up before then.

Also, from the About Me page, the links to Sketchbook and Random Fun! don't work.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

KittenofDoom posted:

Does anyone have a list of well-made portfolio sites handy? I generally produce much better work when I have something to reference.

You mean "Does anyone have anything I can copy"?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

JoeWindetc posted:

Any tips for selling artwork? I imagine getting a local gallery to display some work with be the first step. I have a website that I would add info to as well. I'm just kind of lost on marketing what I have, specifically custom sculpture pieces.

Set up an Etsy shop for your paintings, and put your sculptures in the Custom bit. The Etsy thread might help :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Hey this is from a while ago, but I was thinking are there any internship opportunities or are they only available to UK students?

We really should chat. I've wanted to leave the US for a while and figured an internship will help get my foot in the door abroad. I figured I'd have plenty of time to plan if I start now.

The way it works for designers and 3D/motion graphics dudes is that you try and get unpaid placements. Work experience, basically. It sucks, I know. They're not arranged formally, you just pepper agencies with cool or interesting applications and hope you'll get your foot in the door. They definitely wouldn't mind you being American and not a UK student, though.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Those of you looking for design internships in the UK, the "It's Nice That" blog has just opened a jobs page and there are quite a few on offer there: http://www.itsnicethat.com/jobs

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Don’t think I posted my portfolio mailer. Had a good response to it so far and it’s pretty cool having something that folds up to A5 to give interviewers rather than carrying around a massive portfolio and stuff. Marsh I was going to send you one but I only printed a few and ran out :(. Will save you one from the next run though :)

Aww yay :) looks like a great piece, I'm looking forward to having one!

So who have you sent them to so far? Or is that better to discuss by email?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

zaepg posted:

So I'm asking for some thoughts/comments/critiquing on my portfolio for college.

GPA - 2.4 (there's progressive improvement. But yeah, I screwed myself)
SAT - about a 1490

Portfolio (Submitted this to some colleges. May add more for upcoming)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5JXm5AH9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBgyz78xTA

You need to fix the title in that first YouTube video so it says "Portfolio Preview" and not "Portoflio Preivew".

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Pantothenate posted:

Do you have to no somebody?

You might want to work on your proofreading if you want to be an editor!

Seriously though, if the job writing promotional leaflets and stuff appealed to you, then you should consider being an advertising/marketing copywriter. I work in a direct and digital marketing agency as a writer myself, and it involves authoring anything from instruction booklets to posters to websites to emails to letters for various well-known brands to send to their customers.

What kind of agency you'd be good for depends on what you like to write. There are two kinds of copywriters, really - the ones who write lots and lots of words, and the ones who write headlines and come up with ideas mostly. Unless you want to form a team of two with an Art Director and come up with ad ideas yourself, it sounds like you want to be the first kind.

So, basically, start looking into copywriting - there's loads of stuff on the web - and start writing creative and interesting letters/emails/mailpacks to marketing agencies near you. Show off your writing skills and your tenacity, ask for placements, ask to just come in and talk to them, anything to get a foot in the door.

Getting your first copywriting job can be quite hard, but genuinely good writers who actually want to write and not create whole ads are quite rare in the industry these days, so you shouldn't find it impossible.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
This might seem like a bit of a silly question, but when you hand your notice in, what do you actually write?

I've just had my second interview for a job I'm really hoping to get, and I'd like to have my notice prepared, but I don't know what to put. I'm on very good terms with the person I'll need to give it to, does that make a difference? I don't want it to seem overly formal, unless the letter is just the formality and the real conversation happens verbally.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Slashie posted:

It'll be fine! I hope you get the new job!

Thank you, that helps a LOT :)

Unfortunately I'm on three months' notice rather than two weeks (!!!) but hey, it'll end eventually...!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Orleans posted:

I want to write. I've always loved composition and throughout my schooling have tried to take as many writing and English classes as I can, and now I'm stuck at a community college trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.

I guess I should try to go for my BA in English, but "Avenue Q" has terrified me. Is it really that hard to find a job as a writer? What about journalism, reporting, author-ing (not a word, but I don't care)? Hell, if Stephanie Meyer can write a book, I can. What do I do with my life from here?

Become an advertising copywriter. Please. There are so few of us who actually give a poo poo about writing and know the rules, let alone who are able to craft good, persuasive arguments for longer pieces.

There are a lot of avenues within copywriting - you could write website content, traditional ads (billboards etc), direct mail (letters, mailpacks, emails...) and so on.

I can't advise on how to get into the industry because it's different in America to where I am (England), but start looking into it if it sounds like something you might enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

How do people feel about creative leave-behinds? I'm looking to break into a copywriting position at a larger ad agency and have heard a variety of opinions.

I realize attempting to be too clever can backfire, like making a resume out of a jigsaw puzzle or something. But should it have to fit in a standard envelope, or is a smarter route to separate yourself with something larger that people want to hang on to or share with coworkers? I read an interesting idea of getting McDonalds delivered to the office, then scribbling on a napkin in the bag "Please hire me so I don't have to eat at McD's anymore!" It could come off incredibly lame, but who doesn't like a free burger?

Then again, I've also heard that people get inundated with this poo poo, so don't waste your resources and pimp your portfolio. Thoughts?

The key is to be cool, original and not desperate. The McDonald's thing has been done, and if you're looking for a creative job, it's not ideal to be derivative before you've even started. So try and think of something that you haven't read about anywhere - your competition will have read the same things.

If you're sending something in the post, a so-called "lumpy mailer" is often a good idea. That means along with your CV/begging letter, include an object that makes the envelope a bit lumpy. That intrigues people to open it. Obviously it should make sense, don't just chuck something random in there.

Also, if I were you, I wouldn't send stuff to the HR person or the Creative Director. They have no time and giant piles of similar stuff. Try and send it to someone a lot more junior - it'll be novel and exciting for them, they'll actually spend time reading it, they'll sympathise because they were in your position not so long ago, and crucially, if it's good, they'll take it to the CD. I can't stress enough how much more impact it makes when a trusted staff member brings something to show the CD than when it arrives in the giant post-pile.

Finally, this should go without saying but make sure the writing throughout whatever you send is top-notch. It doesn't need to be punny or clever, it just needs to be well-crafted and easy to read.