Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really could use some advice on how to get the ball rolling on some freelance work. The rent is too drat high and I need a side gig to make some extra money. I'd really rather try to pick up some extra cash doing something I love.

I've never really done freelance outside of people I already know so I don't really know where to start. I don't even have a website currently but I'm planning on changing that asap. I just don't really know how to sell myself or how I would go about starting to get work. What are some good ways to get myself out there? Strategies, networking. making myself stand out etc. Is there an app that people currently like a lot?

Secondly, I want to basically start an entirely new body of work when it comes to my own stuff. I'm thinking of using a pseudonym. Is this a bad idea? More than anything I just don't want dog portraits or whatever the hell I pick up doing freelance directly associated with whatever I'm working on for myself. That, and my name is really long and no one can remember how to spell or say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kedo posted:

1. Tell everyone you know (and I mean "everyone" literally) that you're freelancing and are looking for work. Don't rely on apps or websites unless you live in the third world and can afford to compete with other people who also live in the third world. Consider printing up business cards and handing them out to folks. If you're good at what you do and people need to buy the service you're offering, you'll get work.

2. Don't use a pseudonym because then how will you cash the checks people give you? This is silly. If anything, form a company (even a faux company if you don't want to register an LLC or S-Corp [which you should consider]) and go by your company name. This is what I do because as silly as it sounds, having a company name gives you an air of legitimacy. It says, "I'm smart and capable enough to at least form a company, so I'm probably smart an capable enough to do the job you need me to do."

3. Have a boilerplate contract ready. Do not do any work without a contract. NO REALLY, I MEAN IT. People take advantage of freelancers. If you have a contract, you send a signal to these people that you're not to be hosed with and they will avoid working with you (read: screwing you) altogether.

4. If you expect to have any significant amount of work, seriously consider forming a corporation. It's not nearly as hard or expensive as you think it is, and Legal Zoom is a perfectly valid and affordable option. Note that if you accept payment as a corporation you also have to jump through some hurdles to pay yourself (ie. payroll taxes), so use a third party service like Quickbooks Payroll or whatever to do that stuff. You do not want to try to do payroll by hand because it's insanely complicated. The benefits of having a corporation are: A) a layer of legal protection between you and angry, lovely clients, and B) numerous tax benefits.

That's basically it. If you're good at what you do, you can make a living doing this. I say this from personal experience because those four steps above are exactly what I did three years ago and I'm still living the freelance dream. If you don't already have experience managing clients that may be a bit of a learning process, but it's not really all that complicated.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions you don't want to post publicly, I'm happy to share whatever knowledge I might have.

Thanks! All seems like good advice. I definetly planned on having a contract in place as I'm a pretty big pushover and I even feel like I would need to to remind myself I need to get poo poo done asap. As far as forming a corporation is concerned I'd definetly consider it after gauging how much work I'm able to get. For now I plan on continuing to work full time at my day job. My goal here is less to make this my main gig out the gate and more to pick up and extra 3-500 dollars a month to supplement a pretty big rent increase without having be dead broke all of the time.

To be clear on the Pseudonym thing, I meant I was considering using one for my personal art and using my real name for any freelance work I'd pick up. Not the other way around. It's corny but I have always kind of wanted to use one, but if it's a really bad idea I'm not married to it.

I guess one other big question I have, is how do I go about figuring out what to charge?

Oh, and how to steer my focus towards specific types of work. maybe that's a stupid question because my portfolio should do that for me, but say you get offers for work and you know you wouldn't be the right person for the job. Is it ok to just politely decline or does that make you look bad as an artist? For example I don't consider myself very good at landscapes and I would not hire myself to do a landscape. But there is a decent range of stuff that I think I do well (portraits, realism, cartoonish stuff...) I personally don't think I'd be cut out for something like Video game concept art for example, which a lot of freelancers seem to find work in. I know the best answer is so improve where I am weak as an artist, but in the meantime...

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 19, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Great advice guys. Thank you!

The calculator puts me at a rough estimate of $24 an hour. Does that set off any alarms as high or low? That's actually about what I was thinking of charging initially so that seems about right to me, but I don't want to overcharge or fleece myself either.