Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

awesomeolion posted:

is therea best school for web design?

Im not quite sure how this is for web design, but from my experience, any sort of creative/design education is 85% dependent on what you are willing to put into your education and how hard you are willing to work.

The professors and facilities matter dont get me wrong, but they only matter a small amount. I actually interviewed Carlos Segura of Segura Inc. (hes a graphic designer here in chicago) and he is self taught. Never went to school and is published in nearly every design annual known to designers. He explained that the ability to learn and absorb information is embedded in the student, not the institution. If you really care about what you want to do, then you will go to every means to make sure that it is the best that you can do. The internet is the biggest tool and it contains more information than any school or group of professors can.

I had very skilled and prestigious professors in my department and they inspired me to work even harder. Then for a web design class, I had a professor that never once pulled up dreamweaver on the projector...or gave us a walkthrough tutorial...and the class comprised of 90% print designers with no experience in web. He was the biggest A hole ever but by the end of the course, I had taught myself enough web design skills (tables, containers, CSS, etc) to build my own portfolio website due to his stubborness. At the end of the course, he explained how his reluctance to "spoon feed" us information weeded out those who wanted to succeed and those who wanted to get by. It was insane to me that our school would hire someone who didnt really work but I guess he made some sense.

In the end, I think that finding a school that has a good reputation and fits your personality, not to mention the plethora of other characteristics you should look for such as cost, housing, etc....is the main thing. Dont get caught up in the "best school on the block" mentality, it will hang in the back of your mind through your entire education experience. Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I think you are expecting different outcomes from what art schools usually expect. School is most importantly to give artists the opportunity to work with like minded people, advance your education, practice your skill, sharpen your abilities, and essentially get your work to its best, not to perfection because quite honestly art (especially our own) is never perfect and if it is, you are either already dead, rich, or delusional. As an artist, after my education, I have a better sense of what I do and how to do it, but I started to explore a wider array of things such as print making and photography. If you really care about your art, you wont worry about getting it "perfect" rather getting it to the point that you feel it is where it expresses everything you wanted it to. Its odd how artists who are usually so comfortable and self assured become so self conscious about their work...I know I am sometimes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Nihiliste posted:

Anyone have advice on getting an assistant position in a photo studio? Wedding photographers need plenty of help every summer it seems, but it could never be a full-time job.

I would suggest craigslist. Though completely loaded with spam and crappy ads, you can usually find something in there as far as photographers go. Are you actually studying photography or I guess what is the reason you want to assist in a photo studio? Obviously, someone wanting to learn the ropes is going to be a better fit candidate than someone who just needs a job. If you have any sort of photo portfolio, bring it. Of course a photographer is going to want to see if his assistant even knows what he or she is doing on a shoot.

I shot my first two weddings this past summer, both with an assistant, and it made certain things easier and certain things harder. Anything you want, rather than getting it, you have to ask, on the other hand, you have someone giving you lenses, flashes, tripods etc rather than digging for them and missing shots. The main thing is making sure you are there to assist them and stay out of their way. You can learn a lot from working with a real photographer as long as you are paying attention to their positioning, lighting, etc.

Also, try calling/emailing local photographers directly and asking them if they are in need of assistants. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no. I assume you are talking of real photo studios and not JC Penny or Sears?