Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zygar
Aug 6, 2005
I LEIK TRAINZ!!!1
I'm 17.

Been using Photoshop for about 5 years, XHTML/CSS for about 2. Never had any formal tuition in design theory itself, most of my high-school classes just focused on the "how" with less emphasis on the "why." So far I have been trying to teach myself as much as I can in regards to usability, colour, typography and everything else involved in web and graphic design, as I think this is where I want to go with my life. I registered a company and have been busy setting everything up and doing some low end work for friends of the family, as well as teaching myself content management systems like Drupal.

I think I'm getting a better feel for design now, as the difference between my work 18 months ago and my work now is massive, I churned out some real rubbish back then. I still feel like I know more "how" than "why", but I can feel a definite improvement and I'm less intimidated by the idea of showing my work to anybody else.

To get some practice in, I've been working on a personal site, (still hammering away on this particular concept,) as well as a site for a non-profit, a plumber (god I hope he sends me a new picture for the heading soon) and my Dad. (the Circumcisions page is slightly NWS.)

My plan is to freelance while I'm going through university and hopefully have a nice portfolio by the end of things. Right now I'm finishing off my final year of high school and I was hoping that I could get some feedback on my work so far, particularly the design aspect of it, and based on the level I'm at, book recommendations, good sites/articles to read, etc. By the time I start university next year (I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to pursue here either, what is "good" for web design?) I want to have a solid, self-taught grounding in design-theory to go with my technical experience.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: If it helps, one area I feel particularly weak in is traditional media, especially and most importantly drawing - it's a vicious cycle, I suck at it, so I don't do it, so I never get better. My sense of perspective is terrible. I can put together a site structure and toss together a logo but fall flat when it comes to sketching something or doing vector art. Since I want to branch out and learn to draw/illustrate, where's the best place to start?

Zygar fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zygar
Aug 6, 2005
I LEIK TRAINZ!!!1
Could I get some feedback on my Portfolio that I'm putting together for admission to art school? Excuse the low resolution images – InDesign's PDF export utterly confounds me.

Known Issues:

- Sketches section is empty. Workin' on it!
- Game design images are a bit dark.
- "This Portfolio" section is messy. I'm going to tidy those plans up a bit.

Considering:

- Adding a few more pages to show more process. They love process.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Zygar
Aug 6, 2005
I LEIK TRAINZ!!!1

Zurich posted:

I know this is too late and you got into uni and whatnot (well done!), but anyway -
- Margins aren't even dude!
- You're cutting across gutters and stuff, don't do that, sort of nullifies the nice grid you have going on :(

Thanks – I did manage to even up the margins a tad before I had it printed but yeah I'll keep the gutter tip in mind. I did get a bit inconsistent with it at points, aligning stuff to the inside of the gutter for some elements, and to the outside for others, and I'll try to avoid that in the future.