Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I'd like to know how I can wedge my way into a portrait, product and/or fashion photography studio as an assistant. It's simple to find a wedding photographer who needs help, but I can hardly get a foot in the door anywhere else.

Perhaps I just need a better, targeted portfolio, but I've read that even fantastic portfolios are often ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Alezunde posted:

Unfortunately I cannot say what will surely get you the position that you want, but I cannot stress the importance of forming a social network. Start meeting new people, and get to know people who may be able to get you to where you want to be.
As for your portfolio - be very careful about having wedding photography in your portfolio. Any creative director that is looking to hire out a photographer will be immediately turned off unless your other work is God's gift to the world. They are not looking for a wedding photographer; Only people having weddings look for wedding photographers.

Sounds like good advice, but how do I get to meeting these people?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Alezunde posted:

One way that you might go about it is by starting with your peers. Make friends with people who are into photography, especially since some of them already have networks of their own. If you see some work on the internet or anyplace that you can easily contact the photographer, drop them a line and compliment them on their work. Just continue to talk to them, discuss photography, learn as much as you can from them. Let them learn some tricks from you as well. It's not just a social or professional experience, it's also social. As your network grows, you'll find that it'll get easier to expand even more.

Edit: If they have business cards or promo materials and such, help yourself to them. And make sure to be pretty diligent in keeping all of this information. Make sure that it's as effortless as possible to reference it later when you might need it. Names and contact info especially.

Thanks. Still leaves me with a lot of work to do (before I can get more work), but it's a start.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Positive Housemouse posted:

I would really like to get into event photography. I am going to upgrade my camera (Rebel XTi with 1.4 50mm lens) and I would like to get a little step into the field. I am still in high school so I think that's a problem. I go to concerts and whenever I approach a photographer to ask him/her how I can get into what he does they always brush me off thinking I am a joke.

I talked with someone who worked in the only local venue near me and they said they already have a professional photographer they hire, and they won't take internships. I live in the Jersey area if that helps. I would really like to take pictures at the beginning of the stage where the band plays at concerts because I can't risk my camera being broken if i'm in the crowed (99% chance it will), so I don't know how I can get a "concert" portfolio started. Can I please get some advice?

Edit: I am also familiar with the New York area, and I would definitely take a train there anytime if needed.

There isn't too much you can do until college, because age is a barrier, not to mention experience. If you volunteer with a college paper, that should earn you both experience and a nice portfolio. Also, because you can legitimately claim to be press, venues will let you into special sections where your camera is a lot safer.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Positive Housemouse posted:

What would you recommend is a good way to start (locally) networking?

I'm not an expert on networking, but there are two methods I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Join a club frequented by pros. Once they get to know you, they may ask you for help, or at least point you in the right direction.

2) Become a volunteer assistant. Many photographers want more help, but not many can afford it. That will get you experience and possibly a paying position.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I'm looking for advice on two more things.

1) Putting together a good photo portfolio. As an addendum, should I stay online, or are prints a must?

2) If I want to get into fashion/commercial work, which people do I need to approach, and what do they want me to send?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The more I consider it, the more I think I need to build a new website for my photo business from the ground up. Anyone have recommendations on a starting place?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Anyone have advice on getting an assistant position in a photo studio? Wedding photographers need plenty of help every summer it seems, but it could never be a full-time job.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Verman posted:

I would suggest craigslist. Though completely loaded with spam and crappy ads, you can usually find something in there as far as photographers go. Are you actually studying photography or I guess what is the reason you want to assist in a photo studio? Obviously, someone wanting to learn the ropes is going to be a better fit candidate than someone who just needs a job. If you have any sort of photo portfolio, bring it. Of course a photographer is going to want to see if his assistant even knows what he or she is doing on a shoot.

I shot my first two weddings this past summer, both with an assistant, and it made certain things easier and certain things harder. Anything you want, rather than getting it, you have to ask, on the other hand, you have someone giving you lenses, flashes, tripods etc rather than digging for them and missing shots. The main thing is making sure you are there to assist them and stay out of their way. You can learn a lot from working with a real photographer as long as you are paying attention to their positioning, lighting, etc.

Also, try calling/emailing local photographers directly and asking them if they are in need of assistants. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no. I assume you are talking of real photo studios and not JC Penny or Sears?

Yep, I'm hunting for the real deal. I've contacted a number of photographers already.

The kicker is that I've actually done a fair amount of work in photography, mostly an assistant, but solo as well. I'm looking at more work this year, but the trouble is that I want to work with lights instead of a bride's flowers. I'd love to do commercial or architectural photography, but everyone in Ottawa seems to either have help or think they don't need it.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

ShutteredIn posted:

Hey, saw your posts a bit late. I'm in the same boat as you for now. I've worked as an assistant for a couple people but it's not regular enough. I was going to advise you to join ASMP and APA, but you're a dirty Canuck and I don't know if those apply up there. Maybe there's a CSMP or APC? Either way, find the local chapter of a photographer's society and join up. Go to any and all meet-n-greets, portfolio reviews, workshops and rear end kissing sessions. Getting more gigs as an assistant is all about talking to everyone and handing out as many business cards as you possibly can. Also make up a resume with a full skill list of what kind of cameras/lighting/gear/etc you know how to work with.

Thanks, that's the sort of advice I was looking for.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

I'm interested in returning to school to study photography. However for personal reasons, the US and UK are out, but I only speak English (and a tiny bit of Icelandic).

Can anyone recommend a good photography school (I want to focus on location portraits) in Canada or Australia or Ireland?

Can't speak much for other Canadian cities, but here in Ottawa the only two options are really Algonquin College or the School for the Photographic Arts (SPAO). The University of Ottawa has a photography program, but only enough of one to complement a larger Arts degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

I Are Internet posted:

Fellow designers,

Right now I am in the market for a new job. My dilemma is that although I have a ton of experience with ad agencies, technology firms and marketing companies, most of the work I have done for them has been confidential to those companies.

Basically, I have been told my my superiors (usually the CEO) that I can't put any of my work on my portfolio due to it being officially owned by the company I am working for.

Question is, how do I get around this? I feel some of my best work is done within the company that I'm with since I don't have much extra time to do freelance. Same, your portfolio is stocked with tons of awesome stuff and a few of my designer friends in NYC have their work for Visa, Nike, Coca Cola, etc. in theirs.

Should I tempt fate with my past employers?

I do photography rather than design, but I think I would. They're unlikely to find out unless they call your old bosses, and it's a matter of being hired versus leaving the industry or going on welfare. If you really can't get permission, just be careful of who you show your material to.