Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alezunde
Nov 4, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Nihiliste posted:

I'd like to know how I can wedge my way into a portrait, product and/or fashion photography studio as an assistant. It's simple to find a wedding photographer who needs help, but I can hardly get a foot in the door anywhere else.

Perhaps I just need a better, targeted portfolio, but I've read that even fantastic portfolios are often ignored.
Unfortunately I cannot say what will surely get you the position that you want, but I cannot stress the importance of forming a social network. Start meeting new people, and get to know people who may be able to get you to where you want to be.
As for your portfolio - be very careful about having wedding photography in your portfolio. Any creative director that is looking to hire out a photographer will be immediately turned off unless your other work is God's gift to the world. They are not looking for a wedding photographer; Only people having weddings look for wedding photographers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alezunde
Nov 4, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Nihiliste posted:

Sounds like good advice, but how do I get to meeting these people?
One way that you might go about it is by starting with your peers. Make friends with people who are into photography, especially since some of them already have networks of their own. If you see some work on the internet or anyplace that you can easily contact the photographer, drop them a line and compliment them on their work. Just continue to talk to them, discuss photography, learn as much as you can from them. Let them learn some tricks from you as well. It's not just a social or professional experience, it's also social. As your network grows, you'll find that it'll get easier to expand even more.

Edit: If they have business cards or promo materials and such, help yourself to them. And make sure to be pretty diligent in keeping all of this information. Make sure that it's as effortless as possible to reference it later when you might need it. Names and contact info especially.