Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Cross-posting this question from the CA forums because I'd love to get some input from you guys as well.

I've got a bit of an interesting situation, but I'll try and make it quick, since nobody cares about the gritty details. I'll be graduating next spring with a BFA from the University of Michigan, and I'd like to work in animation. Problem is Michigan does very little with animation, and what little experience I have has been from exploring myself and reading books/just watching animated films. I probably should have transferred to CalArts or something a year ago when I started thinking I'd like to focus in animation, but I ended up chickening out and sticking with the program here, even though I don't really like it. I figured I'd take out a bunch of loans and study hard for a couple years at a dedicated animation program.

Now I'm starting to do a bit of research this summer in preparation, but I really don't know a whole lot about schools. Ideally I'd like to be working for Pixar or Disney or Blue Sky, but then again, what aspiring animator doesn't? I know UCLA has an Animation Workshop, but that's 3 years long, and that's a lot of money to be in debt. I've read that a lot people go to big studios from the Academy of Art in SF, too, but again, I've read mixed things about the place, and since I will be going into debt for this, I want to get the most I can out of this. My situation is a little different than most people around here, since I've been at college for 4 years now, so I've been through a lot of the foundational courses.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a program specifically geared towards animation that takes into a account the BFA I will already have, and preferably it's one that graduates a lot of students into the film industry. I'm interested in animation, not just 3d, so I want to avoid those places that just teach the technology and not the art. Thanks a lot for any advice you folks might have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU